MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
BBQNUTT
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Need a little advice...

I've been asked to cater a friend's wedding next month. Pulled pork sammies, baked beans, tater salad, coleslaw, mac n cheese for 300 people. Everything homemade. After figureing my costs, I've come up with around $7 per per person as a charge. Sound reasonable? Too high, too low? This will be our biggest job yet. Till now our biggest was 120. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

One meat and 4 sides for a WEDDING would go easily at 12-13 bucks per person!
Unless your just dropping the food off, ya gotta do it up nice for the happy couple!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

Since I have been BBQ Catering it seems I have a lot more friends. I have cheated myself out of money by being everyone's "Friend" I finally made out a price sheet and quote straight off of the price sheet---friends or not. I am not employed---I do not cater for fun. I cater to make a living, and my friend's realize this. I have enough experience--now I need money.

How big are the sandwiches going to be----on hamburger buns or on French Rolls?
If you have figured it out that you can make money at $7.00 you may have left something out when figuring cost. You have labor costs --food costs--transportation costs--fuel for BBQ pit costs etc. Do you need to pay helpers--or are they "Friends" that are donating their services. I think 7 dollars per plate seems low, but if your help is free maybe not.

The other problem that has cropped up with cooking for "friends" is that the "friends" do not keep special pricing to themselves, and the next person that you quote for the same meal will be angry with you.

What are comparable caterers in your area charging? I have been through these things the hard way---discounting to friends will cause trouble later.

I also look at other things--if someone is renting a hall for thousands of dollars and leaving for a honeymoon in France---and trying to get me to cater at a break even price, then something is wrong. Do not cheat yourself, but do not rip off the customer either---be good---be honest, and be fair. Please recheck your figures.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I agree with the above comments!

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

You are at least half off what the job is worth. You never want to let a client go cheap on their wedding day.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
Michael in PA
Got Wood.

Way too low. I would look for at least $13.50, more for a wedding. Even if you are not completely "professional" - Health Department compliant, insured, etc. - you should price yourself as though you are. And that includes paper goods, table decor, a payrate for your time and, believe it or not, profit.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Amen to all of that input. Make money or get in line at the soup kitchen!

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
BBQNUTT
Knows what a fatty is.

Normaly, I would agree with the "Make some money!" plan of attack. But this is a friend of mine that doesnt have a lot of money and I want to help him out by doing this cheaper than anyone else would. Based on all of your posts I have decided to increase my price to $8 per person just to be safe... Thanks!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

if he is a good friend, tell him not to spread the word on the pricing, you will regret it. everyone will expect the treatment.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
if he is a good friend, tell him not to spread the word on the pricing, you will regret it. everyone will expect the treatment.
Absolutely. On the rare occasions we do a "brother-in-law" deal for someone we swear them to secrecy and let them know we will deny that we gave them that price if anyone ever asks us. It's too bad that the world works that way, but the worst thing that can happen to a caterer is to become known as the least expensive guy around. Then you get to work yourself to death and die broke!
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
ASUBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default You have got to be kidding!

I have to ask, do you really know how much work it is to cater and feed 300 people??? A good friend shouldn't expect you to do that much work for so little pay, after you cover food cost, business expenses & labor whats left???

I'll probably get chastised for this but this is just another case of you really shouldnt be doing this if this isnt what you do for a living, someone else or even yourself if your a caterer could make a nice buck from a job like this.

Some people see kindness as a weakness and take full advantage of it, I think your probably a real nice guy and your buddy is taking advantage of you! You should be 3 times that price minimum! Bare minimum!
ASUBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
BBQNUTT
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUBBQ View Post
I have to ask, do you really know how much work it is to cater and feed 300 people??? A good friend shouldn't expect you to do that much work for so little pay, after you cover food cost, business expenses & labor whats left???

I'll probably get chastised for this but this is just another case of you really shouldnt be doing this if this isnt what you do for a living, someone else or even yourself if your a caterer could make a nice buck from a job like this.

Some people see kindness as a weakness and take full advantage of it, I think your probably a real nice guy and your buddy is taking advantage of you! You should be 3 times that price minimum! Bare minimum!
Thanks for your advice, but around here, no body and I mean NO BODY would pay $21 per person to feed people pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, and potato salad. I couldnt imagine charging 3 times what I am charging for BBQ...
Old 06-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
Bigmista

I would be in at least the $12/person range just because they added the mac & cheese. Cheddar is damned near $4/# and you need a lot to do it right. And remember that your time is valuable. If you have a smoker large enough to cook all the butts in one shot, you are still looking at 10-14 hours of cooking minimum.

Lots of caterers would charge $20/head for rubber chicken and green beans. Don't sell yourself short.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
I would be in at least the $12/person range just because they added the mac & cheese. Cheddar is damned near $4/# and you need a lot to do it right. And remember that your time is valuable. If you have a smoker large enough to cook all the butts in one shot, you are still looking at 10-14 hours of cooking minimum.

Lots of caterers would charge $20/head for rubber chicken and green beans. Don't sell yourself short.
You Would