MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
Drake
Full Fledged Farker

Default Patio Smoker

Hello All. I am getting a new smoker shortly. Im looking at the 48'' patio with a warmer. My question to the Brethren is, would this be too much of a smoker for a single rack of ribs or two. Most of my cooks are small cooks for the wife and myself. The young-un doesnt eat too much right now. I have these great visions of a brisket and pork butt and ribs all at the same time but dont know if it will happen that way. How much more fuel does a 48" smoker use over a 36" smoker? Right now Im cooking on a large egg and size has yet to be a problem. I have never cooked on a stick burner. But I really like the look of the 48".
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do you have the occasional need for a smoker that large with a warmer?
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

If you've got the space and the funds, I say go bigger. The difference in fuel between a 36" and 48" is not going to be huge with an efficient smoker. It sounds like you are looking at the Lang. You can always load less meat, but more is not an option.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Drake
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Do you have the occasional need for a smoker that large with a warmer?
Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
If you've got the space and the funds, I say go bigger. The difference in fuel between a 36" and 48" is not going to be huge with an efficient smoker. It sounds like you are looking at the Lang. You can always load less meat, but more is not an option.
Im going to have TuscaloosaQ build it. Im sure I have driven him crazy by now with all the questions and indecisiveness, But he has been great and a pleasure to work with.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Not really.

Im going to have TuscaloosaQ build it. Im sure I have driven him crazy by now with all the questions and indecisiveness, But he has been great and a pleasure to work with.
Once you get that 48" you can come up with occasions to cook more. Plus, there is always frozen (and refrigerated for quicker eating) leftovers. Obviously, whatever TQ makes is going to be efficient as heck. Here is a link to my recent build. The photos have been moved in the original thread, so here is an image as well. The one thing I did as a contingency for smaller cooks was install a damper between the main chamber and the warmer box with separate exhausts. That way I could shut down the warmer box and move the exhaust to the one connected directly to the main chamber. Feel free to hit me up on PM for any more info on this build.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=172861

sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
peeps

I did a single rack of spares in Earl over the weekend. I think I used 6 splits (had one going with a fair bit of life left when I pulled them) or so on a bed of charcoal. Yours is gonna be a bit more steel to heat up, so it make take a bit more. If that is a fuel usage that you can live with, go for it!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I have done a 14lb packer and an 8lb butt on my 36 patio with plenty of room to spare.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Hmmm... how do I say this: I have the Lang 48 and I have NEVER wished I had gone with a smaller smoker. But, I have often wished I had a larger one. It is true that you can cram a lot of meat on a smaller smoker. What I miss is the space when I want to cook in pans. My family likes smoked wings and smoked bacon-wrapped chicken breasts. I like to cook those in the big disposable aluminum chafing pans - and you just can't fit too many in there.

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

When I got my pit from Paul Shirley, I was set aback at how big it was. I had originally been thinking about a 48" or smaller. I think it ended up being about 54". I also did the warming cabinet, which can hold a lot of food.

Since I've had it home, I can't imagine having anything else. I do a lot more big cooks than I ever expected. You wouldn't believe how extra food finds a happy home somewhere.

It is so much fun cooking on a big offset. I say get the 48", and you'll never regret it!
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

To your original question, naw it is not to big. Mine is about 72" and I'll fire it up fo a rack or two or other smaller cooks. I have found though that once I decide to fire it up for a couple racks of ribs, I'll usually go ahead and cook a few meals (i.e., add a couple chckens). You will absolutely love Paul's 48", workmanship and customer service is outstanding.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I also say go for the 48". You won't be disappointed in the quality from Paul and Ty.
But the difference in a 36" - 48" in fuel usage is minimal.

I guess the ole saying "go BIG or go home" kinda really fit's pits in my opinion.

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

+1 on TQ's customer service. He called me just the other day to see how the cooker is working out and to check in on my family. Once you buy from those Shirley folks, they treat you like family.
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
awscwi
Full Fledged Farker

Im looking forward to my TQ build pics.....Delivery to be ~ Jan 1.

Very smooth transaction thus far !!

I was in a Father Son business for almost 2O years, I admire that about them.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Paul is a great guy

I am going to have him build me a cooker this spring after I get my bonus check from work
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Custom size it since its a custom build.
Can TQ do a 42" cook chamber with appropriate sized warmer box?
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote