• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thoughts on BBQ restaurants

Dr. Trout Bum

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I will try places here and there, but generally try to temper my expectations for BBQ at any restaurant. I don't think restaurant Q really compares, generally, to what can be done at home.

This weekend, I was in Virginia Beach and happened on a little shack called Dave's BBQ. I ordered brisket with very low expectations. I was pleasantly surprised that the brisket was flavorful, tender and moist (on piece was slightly dry). I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed my meal thoroughly. The rest of my part did too - my wife had a brisket sandwich and our friends had pulled pork sandwiches which had the most generous serving of pork I've seen at a restaurant.

Emboldened, the next day we ended up at Guy Fieri's Smokehouse in Norfolk. I should have ordered a burger. Instead, I ordered the brisket platter. Big mistake.....undercooked, dry as a bone brisket.

I should have known, but I got cocky and paid the price. Why do I do this to myself?

Well I'm up in Massachusetts and have never found a BBQ place that does a good brisket, on occasion, very rare mind, you some good BB ribs. I'll stick to my brisket thank you....

Well I'm up in Massachusetts and have never found a BBQ place that does a good brisket, on occasion, very rare mind, you some good BB ribs. I'll stick to my brisket thank you....

You can't beat the shrimp plate from Land n Sea...

NJ is definitely no known for its Q, and the BBQ restaurants we do have here are chains. I avoid them.

Not to be pompous, but if I want good Q here, I make it myself.

The only place I trust myself to get BBQ is when I'm back in South-Central Texas. And even then I'm not going to every BBQ place I see. I expect a lot from my BBQ joint, especially since I can make good Q at home.

Guy Fieri opened a Smokehouse restaurant here a couple years ago and although I haven't been there several of my friends have. The consensus from them was mediocre. overpriced bbq.

Guy Fieri is to Q what I am to being a hero astronaut. :p

He's a brand name and celebrity......doesn't mean squat to me as far as Q goes.

He sells to the the uninformed seeking that celebrity link.

We only eat Mexican out as a rule...

Why? Cause we SUCK at making rice with a damn!

Other than that, we’ve figured out how to cook better than we can buy at a restaurant.

It's just so hard to find decent brisket. Got into a bit of an argument the other night by stating there are no good BBQ places in Nashville. There's just not a place I've tried yet that executes really well. Some have fine sides and decent sauce but that's a mask for subpar or boring meat

There is only one place here that aerves a respectable brisket, and that inconsistent.

I'd recommend B.T.'s smokehouse in Sturbridge. It is at or near the top for just about everything.

https://www.btsmokehouse.com/

I manage to drive through once or twice a year and it is a LOT more crowded than it was when I first stumbled across it. Brian is also CIA trained.

About 5 years ago, I'd have agreed and practically gave up on BBQ restaurants, but I do a lot of traveling and I have been completely surprised at how much BBQ has improved throughout the country. Yeah, there are still some regions I avoid brisket, but I've been more than pleasantly surprised on numerous occasions. What I've run into on several occasions is really good chefs, CIA trained, like Brian above, who wanted to move to a small town and open a BBQ shack. I've run into a few and they are always special, as they put their own flare on the food. Other people just have honed their skill through years and years of practice. Other people wouldn't even know a good brisket if it hit them in the face. One trick is that I ask how thick they cut their brisket. If they say it is sliced thin, I order the pulled pork. :thumb:

I'm 81 years of age....started eating BBQ when I was 19. I have never eaten brisket that I enjoyed. I have tried it numerous times in many different states....Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, and Texas. The results varied from place to place; but I've never found that "OMG, this is good" brisket. I have just about come to the conclusion that I'm just not a brisket eater.

I’m in Bangkok at the moment, and had a hankering for some brisket so I grabbed a taxi and visited a American BBQ restaurant, but I should have known better. 6/10 for the brisket but the cornbread was excellent. I’ll never learn!

It's just so hard to find decent brisket. Got into a bit of an argument the other night by stating there are no good BBQ places in Nashville. There's just not a place I've tried yet that executes really well. Some have fine sides and decent sauce but that's a mask for subpar or boring meat

You didn’t like Peg Leg Porker? Great dry rub ribs.

NJ is definitely no known for its Q, and the BBQ restaurants we do have here are chains. I avoid them.

Hi Mighty Quinn's was OK for BBQ.Famous Dave's is a No go!
DanB

We only eat Mexican out as a rule...

Why? Cause we SUCK at making rice with a damn!

Other than that, we’ve figured out how to cook better than we can buy at a restaurant.

Google boiled rice. Read a bunch of the directions and get the general idea but don't get carried away by any seasonings they list.

Basically you are going to cook the rice like pasta(aka with plenty of water). Bring your water to a boil and season with salt. Pour in your rice and cook until done. If ya want really separate rice pour your rice into a *metal* colander(don't want it melting) and place back over the pot with a little water in the pot and steam for a few minutes with a cover over the colander. Pour into a serving dish and fluff. Enjoy.

I'm 81 years of age....started eating BBQ when I was 19. I have never eaten brisket that I enjoyed. I have tried it numerous times in many different states....Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, and Texas. The results varied from place to place; but I've never found that "OMG, this is good" brisket. I have just about come to the conclusion that I'm just not a brisket eater.

That is entirely possible, but I still would not throw out the possibility that you just have not found that OMG brisket. I travel a lot and when I travel I tend to seek BBQ. I've been to too many BBQ restaurants to count. I've had lots and lots of poor brisket, I've had quite a few good briskets, but I've only had a handful or OMG briskets. I still remember them. For the chance at that OMG brisket, I'll keep going back. While your chances are better in Texas, I've had quite a few briskets in Texas that were on the poor side.

TST BBQ in Leonardo (down on the mid-coast) is better than "not bad" for sure.

Back