MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #61
Big Tom
On the road to being a farker

I'm a late bloomer at this party, but I strongly agree with the intent of the original post.

At the KCBS events that we cook in we are still newbys, but we do see an occasional judge or team that crosses over from the MIM/MBA circuit and so we will visit, drink, bs etc. if they take time to stop in. I don't think any ammount of fraternization with judges is really going to give any team a distinct advantage in the circuits that are all-blind judging.

The MIM/MBA still uses the on-site judging for the preliminary and most finals rounds. The thoughts of impropriety and questions of judges integrity really buzz through some teams when they see folks that party and socialize specifically with certain teams on Friday night turn out to be judging some of those same teams on Saturday afternoon. The contest reps do instruct the judges of fairness and impartiality during the Saturday morning judges briefing, but as was mentioned very early on this thread, someone's perception is their reality and then the behind the back accusations can get started.

When I judge at MIM/MBA contests I sometimes get selected for on-site judging. I occasionally will draw a team or teams that I am great friends with, but because of what I expect of them as cooks and other judges when I am being judged. I judge as I am instructed and don't play any favorites or try and sabotage anyones efforts.

We can all hope that all the judges in all the circuits will conduct themselves with the highest level of integrity, regardless of how much time they spend with a team or what they do before they step into the tent for the serious Saturday stuff.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #62
TroyGirl
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default TroyGirl

Hey guys, if it looks bad, it is bad! There is no such thing as paranoia in competition.
TroyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #63
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

I wear my ha( when I judge but stay away until turn ins are done. I may know what bros are competing but no way to know whose q is whos
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #64
backporchbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Personally I would not have a problem if I saw a judge sitting with a competitior. They have boxes with numbers for a reason, and then they put different numbers on the box when you turn it in. It would be extremely difficult for a judge to figure out who it was. I have seen judges sitting with competitiors before and never thought twice, and they were wearing their name takes and a judges shirt.

People are just looking for something to complain about, if they got GC they would not complain. If they do poorly there are people that will complain how far away they were from the judges tent and multiple other things.

You can't make everyone happy all of the time. I understand that you don't want to give off the perception of favoritism. I would say hanging out the day before is ok, but the day of turn ins don't stop by until after judging is complete. Have a beer with our brothers in smoke and help clean up. That way no one could say that there was favoritism.

This is just MO.

1 Meadow Creek TS120 with chicken cooker
1 Weber Kettle
backporchbbq.org
backporchbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #65
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by backporchbbq View Post
Personally I would not have a problem if I saw a judge sitting with a competitior. They have boxes with numbers for a reason, and then they put different numbers on the box when you turn it in. It would be extremely difficult for a judge to figure out who it was. I have seen judges sitting with competitiors before and never thought twice, and they were wearing their name takes and a judges shirt.

People are just looking for something to complain about, if they got GC they would not complain. If they do poorly there are people that will complain how far away they were from the judges tent and multiple other things.

You can't make everyone happy all of the time. I understand that you don't want to give off the perception of favoritism. I would say hanging out the day before is ok, but the day of turn ins don't stop by until after judging is complete. Have a beer with our brothers in smoke and help clean up. That way no one could say that there was favoritism.

This is just MO.
I like that whole concept

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #66
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I have to agree with my son, Josh, Back Porch BBQ.
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #67
dsmith4238
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I have been judging for years and would love to hang with the cooks and maybe get some pointers. I tried to do this at one contest and was told that i was removed form the judge list and would not beable to judge in that contest. Since then I have not even walked thru the cookers to get to the judges tent.
dsmith4238 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #68
smoke showin'
On the road to being a farker

I don't feel it is appropriate for judges to linger with teams it just looks bad and if one of those teams were to win it all it is even more suspect in the eyes of teams who didn't

Old 11-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #69
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith4238 View Post
I have been judging for years and would love to hang with the cooks and maybe get some pointers. I tried to do this at one contest and was told that i was removed form the judge list and would not beable to judge in that contest. Since then I have not even walked thru the cookers to get to the judges tent.
Why don't you ask a team to pit beotch for them for a weekend and forgo judging that contest. Then you'll be able to see what goes on from the cooks point of view. It may give you a new perspective.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2008, 01:24 AM   #70
KuyasKitchen
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm really glad to see this discussion here (even though it was three years ago). High ethical standards are very important.

From a BBQ competition layman's point of view, I would say judges should refrain from contact with teams as soon as food prep beings ... that means as soon as someone reaches for a container of salt, vanish.

Less fun? Sure. But, that's part of maintaining one's honor.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Equipment: Weber Kettle, Stainless GOSM,
Green Super-Fast Thermapen
Equipment Wish List: Smokehouse, Backyard Brick Pit with Lechon Spit
KuyasKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #71
Cyclops
Got rid of the matchlight.

This topic was beaten to DEATH repeatedly last winter on the KCBS Rep forum. After all the smoke cleared, the day before (and evening) a contest is personal time and does not require seperation between judges and cooks. The day of the contest,(and yes, we discussed whether or not that meant 12:01:01 AM) Judges may walk the venue and exchange greetings with the cooks. However, judges should not "hang" with the teams until after the last category has been judged. On a more personal note, I certainly haven't had the pleasure to meet many of the cooks nationwide, but of the 100, or so, that I have met, NONE of them would be willing to cheat to win! Sure, some of them are buttheads, but cheats? Not hardly!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #72
Suzy Que
Found some matches.

We have competed and judged for years. It is my understanding that with KCBS there is to be no fraternizing the day of turn-in. We know alot of the teams cooking and can't wait to talk with them, but we do wait until after the judging is complete. After all, I would hope that integrity is still a part of the picture. When you step in the judge's tent, you are a judge...just do your job fair and square. I have also personally worked as a volunteer at the turn-in table at several events. It would be tough to get past the number transfer, because it varies based on the rep at the event. Most reps only have one other person who even knows the conversion that day. They take it pretty serious and rightly so. AS a cook, I want the juding to be fair too. I do have to agree that after a while you may think you know who's box you have. But again, you judge each ENTRY on its own merit...block that out of your head, be that person of integrity and do what you signed up to do. If you can't then you don't need to be judging. The folks that get hung up in all the garbage are forgetting the spirit of the bbq community...good people and good times.
Suzy Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #73
Boss Hog Wild
Knows what a fatty is.

As an organizer and a CBJ our event follows some basic rules. As a judge I don't care who you spend time with, or talk to, or drink with the night before turn in. On the day of turn in, I expect NO judges to be talking with, drinking with, or socializing with teams until after the judging is completed. As far as clothing goes..... on the day of judging I like to see blue or maroon KCBS shirts... and that is usually all that I see. I have never had a problem with the two mixing things up. I respect my teams, and I respect my judges..... And I expect everyone to do the same.

Of course we have a fenced in event and admission gates. Judges come in that morning and are led to the judges tent where they have breakfast items waiting for them. Then they have their meeting. After that they are free to wander until the first turn in time.... But they all seem to know that wandering by the teams is a no no......

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][URL="http://www.uphogwild.com"]www.uphogwild.com[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Iron Mountain, MI[/FONT]

[I]We're only allowed to do this as long as we have fun! :lol:[/I]
Boss Hog Wild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #74
chambeja
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Excellent post and great discussion. I'm a relatively new CBJ and more experienced backyard cooker. I don't pretend to speak for KCBS, but in the book they give you at CBJ training, it offers the following "Instructions for Judges"

"Contest Weekend:

Do not fraternize with teams. Limit your visiting time with any team.

Do not visit with teams after Judge's Orientation."

Hope this helps the discussion. And putting in a plug for Table Captains. The TCs present your food and help your judges for little or no reward. Adding a seventh serving is entirely within the rules, will offer insurance against getting DQ'd if two of your portions don't get cut apart cleanly, and will give your table captains something to eat, which they don't get otherwise!
chambeja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #75
EggliciousQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

As a KCBS CBJ we are told not to mingle with any cooks on turn in day. Also as some one else noted it is a double blind judging and the table captain's and judge's look for marked containers. I have been a CBJ for four years and have judged nineteen contest. I go to the contests to meet new friends and learn more about BBQ for myself. I like to talked with the cookers on Friday afternoon and evening but stay away on turn in day.
EggliciousQ is offline   Reply With Quote