Brick oven beef ribs, moink balls, etc...

Carbon

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I had a few people over at the house last night for the USC/Hawaii game so I decided to do some beef back ribs, moink balls, potatoes, green salad, and steamed rice.
I loaded the charcoal basket with briquettes for the long and slow burn with a chunk of oak for smoke. The potato wedges roasted with drippings from the ribs above on the rack. I kept everything simple and fast last night, using Sweet Baby Ray's Chipotle bbq sauce for the ribs and moink balls.

Attachments

• P1050170.jpg
    P1050170.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 156
  • P1050174.jpg
    P1050174.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 157
  • P1050178.jpg
    P1050178.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 157
  • P1050190.jpg
    P1050190.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 158
that is so awesome! I wish I had a brick oven!

Since we're neighbors, you'll have me over next time you do this, right? :becky:

Where did you get the beef back ribs?

Freaking awesome!!! Brick ovens are cool! First time seeing it used for ribs and veggies... always see pizzas in there. Me likey!

OOOOHHHH my that looks good. That oven is pretty darn awesome as well.

Very nice.

How about posting a picture of the full Brick Over.

That's inspiring. LOVE the colour on those ribs!

I would love to have one of those brick ovens. Food looks great too.

nicely done! How does cooking meat in there compare to a "regular" smoker? Did you have it up to temp earlier (previous days, etc) and just use the charcoal basket to get some smoke and moisture in there, or does that basket get the oven heat soaked enough to cook on its own? I am really considering doing a WFO...I bet it is cooler then an igloo in iceland watching the food cook in plain view in real time!

Thanks all, for your replies and comments!

Where did you get the beef back ribs?
I got them at Ralphs. I paid $2.49/lb for these but they also had those advertised ribs for $1.59/lb with barely any meat on them.

How about posting a picture of the full Brick Over.
I will, as soon as I'm done stucco'ing the oven enclosure.

The MOINK Balls look nice...
Well, although I did not follow your recipe finishing off with the glaze they were a hit. As soon as I put them out they were gone....I didn't even have time to snap a pic....lol...

How does cooking meat in there compare to a "regular" smoker? Did you have it up to temp earlier (previous days, etc) and just use the charcoal basket to get some smoke and moisture in there, or does that basket get the oven heat soaked enough to cook on its own?
I get similar results as if using my 22" kettle for smoking, the only difference being the amount off food they can handle.
The oven was already 'cool' (about 150F) when I lit the charcoal basket but was quickly saturated with enough heat from the charcoal to bring the oven up to 325F and quickly stabilize and hold 275F for the next few hours. The oven was still 200F some 12 hours later. With proper insulation the heat retention is incredible.
I find it a lot easier to bring up to and control temperature using charcoal for these types of cooks where you just want want to take it up to smoking temps.
As the oven is still new to me I'm still experimenting with charcoal.

Thanks all, for your replies and comments!

I got them at Ralphs. I paid $2.49/lb for these but they also had those advertised ribs for $1.59/lb with barely any meat on them.

I had a feeling - sometimes Ralph's actually has some nice beef back ribs - the only other place I've found them is at Whole Foods...

Back