Transporting a Spicewine

Cigarbque

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am looking for a vertical smoker for comps and I have a possibility to pick up a used medium Spicewine. . I cook with my younger girls or solo so I am concerned about transport issues. I have a pickup but not a trailer.

Any tips or words of wisdom on moving a 600 pound cooker around? Am I better off looking at a BWS or something lighter? I like the construction of the SW but I am concerned about the heft of it.

Getting it into/out of a pickup will be a real challenge unless you get very creative.

I always tout the SW as being a great unit but in this case, I don't think it's a good option for you unless you have acess to a trailer.

I've never seen anyone at a comp with one without a trailer of some sort. I think it COULD be slid onto it's back into a pickup on some sort of rail system, but not on your own. Maybe once...but the back surgery afterwards will be prohibitive.

Now, a couple of WSMs you can lift! :wink:

honestly,,,

I have a FEC, it's really easy to put in a truck bed, just lift up and bam, its in.

I have the same concerns as you, I have to lift it myself, so,,, went with a FEC for that reason.

another disclaimer (again), I love pellet machines, going to FEC was not hard.

Both are correct. The medium was never built for comps, but I am working on competition models that are lighter. I just don't want to compromise the quality of the cooker for something that won't last for many years. I am in the prosess of building a " Modified Medium" for my new cooking trailer. I will have 3 MM cookers and a charcoal oven " Thurmanator " planned. Sorry they are so heavy , but I build them to last for years and years. Hope this helps some.

Spice

I agree with all the above, including Jay. My medium spicewine was the most durable, toughest cooker I have ever seen.

That being said, there is literally NO WAY you should entertain loading and unloading it in a pickup truck. Either pursue a low deck trailer, or consider another cooker for moing around to competitions.

I am very interested in hearing more about these new Spicewine competition options though ...

Nope trust me you would need a trailer, now that being said I have the perfect lightweight trailer to tow it and would sell it to you for a sweet price!! Send me a pm!

I am looking for a vertical smoker for comps and I have a possibility to pick up a used medium Spicewine. . I cook with my younger girls or solo so I am concerned about transport issues. I have a pickup but not a trailer.

Any tips or words of wisdom on moving a 600 pound cooker around? Am I better off looking at a BWS or something lighter? I like the construction of the SW but I am concerned about the heft of it.

I'll make you a deal. You get the Med Spicewine, and I'll trade you straight up with my Guru Tallboy, Silicon Cover (for those day where you need a barrier to hold heat), 7 racks, 17 rack positions. It has the off-road wheels so moving it around is easy, and it weights right around 100lbs. It folds flat, so if you need to use a car (God that sounds funny) you can. Heck, I may even throw in a Cambro to seal the deal.

Definitely need a trailer. Cruise craigslist for a small utility trailer. At comps you can always find a helping hand to help you load/unload.

I have a medium and I put it in the back of my pickup truck with two guys. We lay it on the side and push it in on a mat.

I'll defer to Jay, since he builds them, but I suspect you could do it with some heavy duty ramps and a winch. That's how Tony76248 transports his Stumps. It may require some mods to the wheels and some secure D-rings to attach a cable to...

What about a tommy-lift gate for your pickup?

I'll make you a deal. You get the Med Spicewine, and I'll trade you straight up with my Guru Tallboy, Silicon Cover (for those day where you need a barrier to hold heat), 7 racks, 17 rack positions. It has the off-road wheels so moving it around is easy, and it weights right around 100lbs. It folds flat, so if you need to use a car (God that sounds funny) you can. Heck, I may even throw in a Cambro to seal the deal.

and where exactly does that leave my trailer in the deal:confused::icon_pissed:biggrin:

I helped you :tongue: lol

I'd consider mounting it on a 5' by 8' trailer....but be sure to get the balance correct over the axle. There are many great cookers out there, i'm only experienced with the Spicewine, but it has served me well at every comp I've used it at.

and where exactly does that leave my trailer in the deal:confused::icon_pissed:biggrin:

I helped you :tongue: lol

She still needs some "convincing", but at least she listens now.............:lol:

What's the dry weight again? I may have to "convince" her a bigger truck may be needed to replace Big Red.

I keep leaving reminders laying around, floorplan in her purse, pictures in the truck and office, email web links to her BB, sooner or later she will get tired of it and relent.

Back