Boston butt turn or no turn?

S

SirDanK

Just wondering if you need to turn the butt every so often or not, and also if you folks spray?

Fat side up and spray after a few hours. Don't touch it till you wrap it in foil around 160 or so and make sure you spray it in the foil as you wrap it. Spray with Apple juice and add a little worsteshire if you want.

Fat side up and spray after a few hours. Don't touch it till you wrap it in foil around 160 or so and make sure you spray it in the foil as you wrap it. Spray with Apple juice and add a little worsteshire if you want.

That sounds like the answer to another question.

I flip the butt at least once during the cook. You can forget about that foil until you need to wrap the leftovers.

Lol ok, I think ill flip at 160* wait till 195* then toss in cooler. How does that sound? No foil till cooler.

Let me be the first to say this has been discussed NUMEROUS times in the past. Lots of people in both camps. Some say if you cook over direct heat i.e. BGE, UDS etc. to go fat side down only, some will say fat up only, while others will tell you to flip for best results. In the end most of us will tell you to experiment, try all methods and see what works best for you.:icon_wink

It's a personal taste thing. I've foiled and I've not foiled - the family likes it either way. I usually don't foil until I pull it off the smoker to rest.

Put it in the spice fat side up and forget about it until the bone pulls freely......result moist pull tender pork with a nice crusty bark....no foil

Just took one off the smoker, fat side down, never flipped and didn't foil (until resting in a cooler, that is).

100_0420.jpg

You can see the bone has released:
100_0421.jpg

It turned out tatsy and juicy:
100_0423.jpg

So play around until you find a method with the results you like.

Papa Payne, That's a nice looking Butt!!
What time is dinner?
And being from NC, what kind of sauce do you use?

Yum! Nice job.
My Back Ribs should be done in an hour.
You made me hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice butt, Papa Payne!

SirDanK, I would suggest that you try doing butts different ways for yourself to see what you prefer. Everyone's taste and cooker is different. All of these methods produce result that will be better than you can get at 90% of the BBQ restaurants out there!

Here's my take on fat up or fat down. If the heat source on the cooker is below the meat, and the exhaust is above the meat (like a UDS or WSM), the airflow will be generally vertical. Having the fat cap down protects the meat from the hot sir and help keep it from drying out. If the heat source is off to one side of the meat and the exhaust is on the other side (like a traditional offset or a reverse flow), then the airflow will be primarily horizontal and the hot air will be moving across the top of the meat, so fat cap up will help keep the meat from drying out.

This is my theory and may or may not be right :-D It makes logical sense, but in some empirical testing that Big Mista did in his Spicewine with briskets, fat up or fat down didn't make a difference in the finished product. Fat down did require more clean up after the cook.

As far as foil, again, personal preference. At home I generally don't foil until the meat is ready to rest after the cook, but for comps I do foil (based on bark color, not temp) and I take this opportunity to add additional flavor to the product. In either case I cook the meat until it feels done (probe slides in like into warm butter), not to a specific temp. Each piece of meat is different and I have had to butts or two brisket that were within a couple of ounces of each other take considerably different times to get to the right feel.

I trim the fat cap off, and flip half way through the cook. I've been doing this for the last 4 - 5 butt cooks I've done, and found that the butt doesn't end up sticking to the grate.

fat cap down, no foil not even when put into cooler. i use butcher paper or a brown paper sack and rest for an hour.

Papa Payne, That's a nice looking Butt!!
What time is dinner?
And being from NC, what kind of sauce do you use?

I make my own BBQ sauce. Its a mix of the vinegar and tomato based with a little habanero peppers. It has a little kick and a hint of vinegar and is mostly tomato based. I'm still refining it and when I get where I want it, I'll share the recipe. It just takes a while since we consume each batch before more experimentation is done with the next batch.

Pappy's XXX White Lightning is the closest thing to it that I've tried so far.

This is what happens when you dont foil and put your fat side down.

4064342159_7f13aea174_b.jpg

The top of the cap stays on the grate, and the bottom stays on the meat. Bad idea. If you don't foil leave it fat side up.

Papa JESUS! That some good stuff.

Watch Closely past the girls and you will see tips in between the girl dancing on the pole.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ
The Obvious Video on the Screen first.
It answers I think. SPRAY? The only thing basting in that video is the Pole Dancer whop sprays oil on her (she is supposed to) before she dances. No Wrap, as you can see, and start fat down and I really only flip about 2/3 of the way to keep from losing the cap and to reseason.

Back