Applewood - too smoky?

mr books

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Is it just my luck with Apple wood, but does anyone else find it to be a bit too smoky? I have used Texas Smoke Smoking Chunks as well as some 9 month aged apple wood from my parents' back yard (the same tree I remember planting about [age-avoiding censor] years ago) and every time it seems to come out tasting more like 'smoke' than flavor whether I use the barrel or the horizontal tank on indirect grill.

Until I can figure it out, it just might be Pork=Hickory and Beef=Mesquite or Oak for me!

Yours in blue smoke...

Mr. Brooks,
the one thing you dont mention is the color of the smoke, its possible the size of the wood pieces you are using are too big causing bad smoke and not the thin blue smoke we try to achieve. Try smaller pieces of wood added more often that will burn cleaner instead of big pieces.
Just a thought.

Scott

Is it just my luck with Apple wood, but does anyone else find it to be a bit too smoky? I have used Texas Smoke Smoking Chunks as well as some 9 month aged apple wood from my parents' back yard (the same tree I remember planting about [age-avoiding censor] years ago) and every time it seems to come out tasting more like 'smoke' than flavor whether I use the barrel or the horizontal tank on indirect grill.

Until I can figure it out, it just might be Pork=Hickory and Beef=Mesquite or Oak for me!

Yours in blue smoke...

I use exclusively fruitwood for smoking. It is true that apple is a more aggressive smoke than cherry or plum, but I think it's wonderful nonetheless. It is my preferred wood. If you find it too overpowering I suggest you try some wild cherry. If you only use chunks, I could maybe send you a big USPS flat rate envelope full in exchange for whatever your local smoking hardwood. I like cherry a lot too, it grows wild around here and I have a good friend who has a big place with lots of wild cherry on it, which he stores indoors and burns for firewood so I can pretty much get all I want.

seattlepitboss

Something ain't right here. Seriously, if you prefer Mesquite over Apple because Apple has too smokey a flavor then something is way wrong... IMHO mesquite is about as strong as you can get besides Walnut in the most commonly available varieties of wood for smoking. Are you burning 100% wood or a mix of wood and charcoal? How heavy is your smoke (light blue or heavy white)? I sure ain't no expert butthis just does not make sense to me, all things being equal...

I agree with sfisch, try the smaller pieces, I've had great success with apple wood, my daughter says its her favorite wood for me to use in the smoker!

Something ain't right here. Seriously, if you prefer Mesquite over Apple because Apple has too smokey a flavor then something is way wrong... IMHO mesquite is about as strong as you can get besides Walnut in the most commonly available varieties of wood for smoking. Are you burning 100% wood or a mix of wood and charcoal? How heavy is your smoke (light blue or heavy white)? I sure ain't no expert butthis just does not make sense to me, all things being equal...

I agree, apple wood is about the most mellow smoke that you can get. Something is amiss.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Seriously, if you prefer Mesquite over Apple because Apple has too smokey a flavor then something is way wrong
Mesquite is stronger, no doubt. That's why I only used it for steaks to date- and trying it on a brisket as we speak! But it at least has a distinct aroma. The apple has so far just smelled like smoke.

Are you burning 100% wood or a mix of wood and charcoal?
Typically I use a chimney of charcoal (Kingsford Competition this year) with around 2 chunks of wood every couple of hours. The chunks are usually around 3-4" on a side, some smaller, some larger. If the smoke dies down, I may add a few chips to perk it up.

the one thing you dont mention is the color of the smoke, its possible the size of the wood pieces you are using are too big causing bad smoke and not the thin blue smoke we try to achieve. Try smaller pieces of wood added more often that will burn cleaner instead of big pieces.

Yeah, now that may be a bit of a problem. Even when I tried to use smaller chips the apple makes a bit thicker smoke. That's why I switched away from the backyard chunks to the store-bought apple in case I had a weird species of apple wood.

Yours in blue smoke...

I don't think your apple is dry.

I use apple on everything with great results but have gotten a bitter finish on tri-tip with it.

yea, no problem here with dry apple chunks. given that i don't use much of any smoking wood anyhoo.

To compare flavor, try some thick cut hickory smoked bacon vs. thick cut applewood smoked bacon.

Apple wood bacon whoops Hickory smoked bacon IMHO.

My family and I found Hickory to strong and could easily be over done. But we found Apple pretty mellow. I still use 3 chucks max even for a 14 hour cook. Try cherry ...I can taste a smoke taste but it's so light. Make sure your not soaking your wood.

I use a 75% percent apple, 25% hickory blend. Apple is so nice...

My personal favorite is a 50/50 ratio of apple and pecan - both pretty mellow. they combine well without overpowering the meat.

I use that exact same brand of apple chunks, and don't have any issues with any overpowering smoke flavor. I think the issue is somewhere else. Are you getting too much smoke flavor when using only the store bought chunks?

I use a combination of apple and hickory on my pork meats...I always let the smoke woods die down to a thin blue before adding my meats. How soon do you add your meats?

I use apple/oak combo most of the time. I never have a problem but I do wait for the smoke to die down and turn blue and I never add wood.

Jeff

Hmmmm...

I use apple/oak combo most of the time. I never have a problem but I do wait for the smoke to die down and turn blue and I never add wood.

See THAT may be the issue. I do add wood in the middle of a long cook, but how do you get the smoke in the meat during a low/slow heat if you don't add wood after a few hours? Also, how long after you start burning wood before you add meat?

What type of smoker are you using? In an offset firebox, you will want to preheat the wood by placing on top of the firbox so that it ignites immediately. If you are using an upright cabinet, or a bullet type smoker, adding wood in the middle of a smoke shouldn't be needed. We really need more info, please.

Love Apple, especially mixed with cherry. I like hickory and oak, not a mesquite fan.

Not sure of the too smokey factor in this equation.

Back