Block parties & backyard cooking permits?

BBQCookin

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
(Sorry for the repeat thread: still trying to figure this out.)

I live in Suffolk County, Long Island. A few neighbors and friends have asked if I would cook for their parties. They would pay for my time and probably, I would purchase the food and get reimbursed. I've looked at all the town and county web sites, and there doesn't seem to be anything covering this type of cooking. Do I need any type of permit for this? Thanks for any guidance!

I would think you would need a permit to do that. Your best bet is to call the county health department and ask them what you need to do. You might also want to consider getting insurance to cover you in case of accident or illness, etc.

Would look into insurance also, just incase somebody gets sick and claims it was you that made them sick

Thanks everyone. I will contact my county health department and see what their requirements are. And I've got an insurance broker, so I'll have them investigate that also. Thank you!

If they pay for the meat and you don't make anything monetarily, you are just cooking for a yard party. Insurance yes, permit no. But not sure if you can get a one day event permit and get all you need to meet HD req's. Scott

From what you describe - getting paid for your time cooking - that's catering..

Definitely would want to have permits, insurance and proper safety-service food handling certification.

Back