MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Default Need suggestions - Mexican themed baby shower...

Ok, this isn't a BBQ question but a grilling question. Even though, given the creativity of the people on here, I'm sure this group has some great ideas.

I have been asked to do shrimp for a Mexican themed baby shower. Don't ask me what is up with the theme, I still don't get why my wife is dragging me along, only perk is I get to cook. So, to try and make this as fun as possible I thought I would ask the brothers if there was a fun recipe that anyone has for Mexican or Tex Mex grilled shrimp??
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Mad Max
is Blowin Smoke!

The 2 suggestions that come to mind is a shrimp ceviche, which usually doesn't require cooking the shrimp and the other is a shrimp kabobs with a cilantro, lime and red onion salsa, on the side.
Weber 22.5 Blue Kettle (CL rescue)
Turkey Fryer
Superbly accurate, ferociously fast,
RED THERMAPEN

"Certified MOINK Ball Maker" 2008
www.southerntreats.blogspot.com
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Mad Max
is Blowin Smoke!

Here is two more suggestions, grilled shrimp fajitas or grilled shrimp quesadillas, with pico de gallo and cotijo cheese.
Weber 22.5 Blue Kettle (CL rescue)
Turkey Fryer
Superbly accurate, ferociously fast,
RED THERMAPEN

"Certified MOINK Ball Maker" 2008
www.southerntreats.blogspot.com
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tequila lime! Although I don't have a recipe at hand...

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

We do a shrimp club sandwich that is a hit - Grilled shrimp, pepper bacon (thick), pepper jack or cotija cheese, romaine lettuce and a mild red pepper mayonaise on a toasted bolillo roll, or you can use a cibatta.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
MayDay
Full Fledged Farker

How about salad?

#1. Grilled Shrimp Salad with Dijon Dressing
Butter lettuce (or even cubed iceberg) tossed with a creamy lime-mayo buttermilk dressing. Top with grilled shrimp, diced roasted red peppers and cilantro. A nice twist is adding wasabi to the dressing (but that's not Mexican).

#2. Grilled Shrimp Fruit Salad
Grill shrimp. Cool. Toss with melon balls (or cubes) using a mayo-sour cream (or yogurt) dressing. Serve in lettuce cups or over fresh salad greens.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
BIGWILLY
Full Fledged Farker

Shrimp Cocktail is popular in a traditional menu, served with large size shrimp in a tall cocktail glass, Sabrosa!

UDS
Stainless Gasser
Disco (plow disc, ranchera disc, discada)
Char-Broil "Patio Caddie" (Gas)
Cook n' Kettle Cast Iron Grilling Kettle
BIGWILLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
jiarby
Full Fledged Farker

Tequila Lime Chicken!
Do one of these as a "center piece" on a big platter and then cut up pieces around.
jiarby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
MayDay
Full Fledged Farker

Don't forget to have Mexican Wedding Cookies.... Yummm....

Old 08-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wager View Post
Ok, this isn't a BBQ question but a grilling question. Even though, given the creativity of the people on here, I'm sure this group has some great ideas.

I have been asked to do shrimp for a Mexican themed baby shower. Don't ask me what is up with the theme, I still don't get why my wife is dragging me along, only perk is I get to cook. So, to try and make this as fun as possible I thought I would ask the brothers if there was a fun recipe that anyone has for Mexican or Tex Mex grilled shrimp??

Here is one I like. The marinade time is short and the cook time is maybe 6 minutes if you use the skillet and 15 minutes if you go with the grate method. Either way, if you like garlic, these are the ticket.

The recipe is below, I have a flat bottom wok shaped pan that fits in my Egg and I have modified the technique by cooking the shrimp on a grate (instead of a skillet) and then just tossing them in a skillet that had melted garlic butter in it. Still did a blast of lime juice right before plating. These need to be cooked and served in the shell, mainly for heat control so they don't over cook and secondly for portion control because folks tend to eat them like popcorn when they don't have to peel them.....

Camarones al Mojo de Ajo
Shrimp marinated in Garlic

1 lb. large prawns
15 cloves of garlic (at least)
¾ t salt
¾ t fresh ground pepper
¾ t white vinegar
3-6 T olive oil
3-5 T butter
3-5 T fresh lime juice

From the underside, using scissors, cut the underbelly only. You can leave the heads and legs on.

Prepare 7 or 8 cloves of garlic by: Finely chopping or puree in blender or use garlic press. The prepared garlic in the jar works great also.

Marinate prawns in garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper for about one hour in a plastic baggie, turning at least three times.

Add about half of the butter and the olive oil into a heavy cast iron skillet which has been preheated on the cooker..... Add the prawns (and the marinade) and sauté allowing the shells turn a nice orange color. About 4 to 6 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp. Don’t overcook the shrimp! Add 7 or 8 cloves (or more) of chopped garlic and the rest of the butter and remove from the cooker. Toss for about 1 minute (be careful not to burn the garlic!) Add the lime juice and toss for 1 more minute.

Dump everything into a platter and serve.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Ancho Chile Salsa ala Chris Schlesinger's Thrill of the Grill . (Page Fifty Eight)

People can assemble their own tacos to their taste from the piles of grilled shrimp, chopped onions, thinly sliced cabbage, pineapple ancho chile salsa, sour cream and chopped jalapeno peppers.

Exotic looking and tasting, but quick to prepare.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, there are some great ideas on here guys. I really appreciate it. Now I'm actually excited about this, at least the cooking part.
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Margaritas! For the guys that get drug into this. er, I mean, happily participate.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote