Planning for my first brisket

wnkt

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
After much soul searching , and searching for a good price and time to cook it, I finally pulled the trigger on buying a brisket.
I found out Im going to have all next week off, unpaid but its time off, so I have the time and I got a 12.57 pound brisket for $1.67 a pound at Wally world of all places. Yes I have read the roadmap

SO..........here are the questions. Do any of you inject your briskets? (Yes I have read the roadmap and didnt see much about injecting) and if so what with? Is there anything I need to watch out for?

For the rub Im going simple......salt, pepper and some garlic...maybe a bit of paprika. Hickory mostly...maybe a bit of mesquite thrown in.

What is the view of the experts?

Congrats on your first brisket. I trim the fat to 1/4 inch thick. Rinse and pat dry. Ive never injected mine. I just slather them in mustard and give them a good rub of your favorite spices.
I run mine to 190 degrees internal for slicing. Then I foil them and throw them in a preheated cooler. I dump boiling water in my cooler for about half an hour. Then empty it out, and wipe it with a towel. Then I place my foiled brisket wrapped in another towel and place in cooler and let it rest for a couple hours.
Thats how I do them. Might be wright, might be wrong.
Lots of folks inject them, lots dont. Some folks also add beef broth or apple juice before sealing the foil.
Ive overcooked the crap outta briskets before. Lack of sleep mod. I added apple juice into the foil and sealed them up. Then reheated them for an hour or so. The juice rehydrated the meat. They ate fine.
Im sure im gonna catch some flack here but thats ok.
Good luck and let us know how things turned out.

Congrats on your first brisket. I trim the fat to 1/4 inch thick. Rinse and pat dry. Ive never injected mine. I just slather them in mustard and give them a good rub of your favorite spices.
I run mine to 190 degrees internal for slicing. Then I foil them and throw them in a preheated cooler. I dump boiling water in my cooler for about half an hour. Then empty it out, and wipe it with a towel. Then I place my foiled brisket wrapped in another towel and place in cooler and let it rest for a couple hours.
Thats how I do them. Might be wright, might be wrong.
Lots of folks inject them, lots dont. Some folks also add beef broth or apple juice before sealing the foil.
Ive overcooked the crap outta briskets before. Lack of sleep mod. I added apple juice into the foil and sealed them up. Then reheated them for an hour or so. The juice rehydrated the meat. They ate fine.
Im sure im gonna catch some flack here but thats ok.
Good luck and let us know how things turned out.

You won't gone wrong following that advice:cool:

I have never injected, just haven't gone there yet. Many do and like it.

Since this is your first time, going simple is a good idea. My recipe is even more simple than yours.

I use fresh ground sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Season generously and rub it in. Nothing else. Put the fat on the up side and let it go. Low and slow, the last briskets I smoked them about 9 hours tried to keep the average temp about 175. Then I pulled them about 9 pm wrapped them in foil and put them in an ice chest overnight. They were still hot and ready to serve at noon the next day. Delicious!! I did 50 lbs worth and my friends and family were very happy.

Good luck and have fun,

gz

I use injection all the time to add more beef flavor to the inside of the meat and to get some more spices in the middle as well. I like to use better than bullion beef baste along with some garlic powder and a couple tablespoons of worcestershire sauce. I like to inject 12-24 hours early but usually end up injecting an hour or two before the meat is to be thrown on the smoker. (I know, call me lazy).

For a rub I like to slather in mustard then use 2 parts paprika and 1 part salt and 1 part pepper and add some cayanne pepper to that as well. I cook the flat to 195 then carve off the point and throw it back on for burnt ends and chopped brisket til it reaches about 205-208. I will also wrap in foil and throw in the cooler to hold the meat for at least 1 hour but usually about 4 hours.

Great Info here for a brisket. I have injected with FAB-B and I have cooked without injecting. I personally like it better without the Fab, I might try the beef broth thing, that sounds interestring. Personally for eating a brisket there is really no bad way, get it up to around 190 and foil for an hour or so and you will be in brisket heaven!!

What is FAB-B anyway? Is that the chemical that helps get a larger smoke ring?

One important thing for a newby is in the slicing of the meat.

Be sure to slice the pieces against the grain. If you cut with the grain you will have a lot of chewing.

Hey KC Bobby, it is my understanding of the FAB B that it adds moisture and tenderness. It may create a larger smoke ring but I am not sure of that. It is actually an enzyme that is mixed with water and injected into the Brisket.

What is FAB-B anyway? Is that the chemical that helps get a larger smoke ring?

Beef broth & worsty for the injection. Cook to 190 @225-250 and foil with 1/4 apple juice thrown in and let sit 2-4 hours before slicing the flat and chopped for the point. Chit, now I made myself hungry.

Ok.....heres how I did it.
I decided to go pretty simple for the first try and see how it went so I could add things later if it didnt go well, instead of trying to figure out what went wrong from a bunch of different things I did.
I trimmed a good portion of the fat, specially the hard stuff (I probably trimmed about a pound of fat all together), and slathered with mustard and dusted with kosher salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder and a bit of paprika. Basically the same thing that I do with pork when I smoke it.
I got started about 10:30 AM and went until around 3:30 before it was too dang hot outside without having to stand over a hot fire too... the internal temp was around 140 ad I decided to pull it off and put it in the oven at 250 so I could sit inside in the A/C ( call me a pansy if you like it was over 100 out there!)
Around 7:30PM it hit 197 internal and I took it out and let it rest.

I must say for the first try it was GREAT!!! Much better than I expected. I must have eaten about a pound of it when I was slicing....not including the 4-5 slices I had for dinner too. I also stripped two packages of brats from their casings and molded them into a log to see how they would do......kinda dried out too much, I think Ill stick to the links. I also tried a new sausage, Neeses sausage.....it comes square, wrapped in wax paper. It was pretty good , but I still like JD.
Im thinking that my operating procedure for longer smokes is take it about half way to temps and then finish in the oven....the last two have gone great that way.

Sounds like a winner! The most important thing (in my book) is if you like it - and it seems you did. Now you are on your way! Brislet has taken overtaken ribs in my BBQ line-up. If I didn't have to feed them to my FIL I probably wouldn't cook them but once a year.

Much of my experience was with trial, and a lot of error. Start with one simple method and run with it. As your experience grows, so will the following of your brisket. But, if you finish them off in foil in your oven, and the Brethren find out, be prepared to be beaten with sauce mops.:wink:

Ok.....heres how I did it.
I decided to go pretty simple for the first try and see how it went so I could add things later if it didnt go well, instead of trying to figure out what went wrong from a bunch of different things I did.
I must say for the first try it was GREAT!!! .

What? No pictures? :p :p

that first brisket is a nerve racker. I waited over a year to do a brisket I feared ruining it so badly. Gimme a butt or a slab and I'll be fine.. but a brisket. No dice. I finally got over my phobia last thanksgiving. I haven't stopped since.

Sorry no pictures.....I know thats as big of a no-no as saying ......no I cant even bring myself to say the LS word.

I dont have a digital camera so if I want to take a picture its a fill up the roll and take it to the drug store for developing...even if I get them on a cd it still takes a while to get them.....it kills me that some of you guys psots pics during your smoking sessions...Im jealous.

Back