Turn-ins from Memphis, TN

GridironGriller

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I wanted to share our turn-ins with y'all and see what the general opinons were. We are getting closer and did get 2 calls this weekend (one in a main category, one in anything but).

I'll post the scores later this afternoon.

Thanks for looking and you have no idea how much y'all have helped these last few months!

THANKS!!

anythingbut.jpg

chicken.jpg

ribs.jpg

pork.jpg

IMG%5D
brisket.jpg

Team.jpg

The first box looks AWESOME! I love the bright red in the middle. Is that a fatty or a pinwheeled pork loin?

I'm betting your call was in brisket.

Suggestions: remove the stringy pieces from your pork box. I WOULD NOT want my judges eating that. Also, slice or break up those big barky chunks. THAT'S what I want my judges eating. Make it easier for them.

Good job on your two calls. That rocks.

That is our Anything But. They are bacon wrapped chicken roll-ups with Red Anaheims and cheese (pepper jack, I think).

And thanks for the tips! We have struggled with pork boxes for awhile and received out best scores with this one (with lots of room for improvement). It certainly needs to be cleaned up more. We did one row of pulled, a row of chopped, and then the chunks of bark.

Being the amateur that I am, it all looks great. :biggrin:

The chicken looks good to me, but I can see where the skin pulled back a little. The ribs look good, but everyone's ribs look good to me. :razz:

Those "Anything But" rolls look awesome. I bet they tasted even better. I love all of the boxes. The green was very green.

Thanks for those who gave some feedback! We finished 24th out of 50.

Appearance scores:
Chicken (27th place)- 8/8/9/8/9/8 - 156.5712
Ribs (34th place)- 8/8/7/7/8/8 - 147.9998
Pork (9th place) - 7/9/7/8/7/8 - 162.8572
Brisket (37th place)- 9/7/9/5/7/7 - (2 9s and a 5??) - 145.7142

Thanks for those who gave some feedback! We finished 24th out of 50.

Appearance scores:
Chicken (27th place)- 8/8/9/8/9/8 - 156.5712
Ribs (34th place)- 8/8/7/7/8/8 - 147.9998
Pork (9th place) - 7/9/7/8/7/8 - 162.8572
Brisket (37th place)- 9/7/9/5/7/7 - (2 9s and a 5??) - 145.7142

You see, this is why I should just stop predicting outcomes. Everytime I think something bombs, it hits, and when I think something hits, it bombs. I would have guessed your brisket or ribs would have been your top entry and your pork the lowest.

They liked the look of your chicken. Great appearance scores! Like someone told us earlier this year, dark chicken wins. I never would have guessed, but that's what judges seem to like I guess.

I would have agreed with Todd.. I was not diggin' the pork appearance at all. Looked like a turds with rib bones not pork... but you did very well so screw my opinions... keep it up !!!

I loved the ribs and chicken appearance.

Try to even up your ribs so the look like one slab.

That is what we would LOVE to do...any tips? If we have one slab that is perfect and we can get all the pieces out of it, it is easy, but if not...maybe we just need to get better with a knife!

Thanks guys!

For the ribs try a sharp, sharp filet or boning knife. I have also seen folks use exacto blades as well.

I have similar opinions on the pork box. Too busy. I try to just give uniform chunks of meat about thumb size or so, with some bark on each piece.

The chicken box looks decent except for the parsley atop the center thigh. That could be misinterpreted as an attempt to mark the turn-in and get you DQ'd if a judge or captain were feeling important. :wink: The scores don't reflect that, though. I think it could be distracting and take away from the chicken.

The brisket looks pretty good but had a range of scores.

That could be misinterpreted as an attempt to mark the turn-in and get you DQ'd if a judge or captain were feeling important.
This is a very good point Big Tom. Even though we know that was not the case here I'm betting that DQ "could" easily come with a box like this.

Back