Store Bought Sauce in turn in's

AlabamaGrillBillies

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm wondering how many of the competitors here are using either a straight store bought sauce or 'doctored up' store bought on their chicken and rib turn in's. I had thought this was kinda taboo, but the more I read the more I see people using other stuff.

I think it happens all of the time. I'd bet more commercial sauces are used than rubs.

I use a store bought and doctor it up. Folks seem to like it just fine. My guess would be depending on what brand someone uses would depend on how they change it up.

We Dr. the storebought stuff - or sometimes even use it straight. If you find something you like - might as well use it. It's not like you are going to re-create it cheaper than you can buy it. :)

Ya, we have come up with a sauce that faired really well in the one comp we turned it in. 6th place out of 40, we were really proud of it. However we tried it on our ribs and I think it took away from them. I am really shocked at how many teams don't use thier own. HoDeDo hit the nail on the head with the cost factor.

Store bought on ribs and pork. Mix of two store boughts and add a bit of doctoring to the sauce we use on chicken.

We use sauce and rub made from scratch.

We are not very succesful.

Draw your own conclusions. :)

Use the store bought sauces, they are already widely accepted or they would be available. They are a very safe bet, just add a little honey and run with them.

I was talking to Rickweiser today about sauce. I find it hard to come up with a good sauce. I've made plenty of them, but have never found anything I like better than some of the tried and true commercial sauces.

You can make a rub pretty quickly. Not cheap, but quick. Sauces are messy and time consuming. I find that I experiment with rubs a lot more than sauces for that reason.

I can't tell you.....it's a secret.....:p

Think about this.....a lot of your judges are used to certain flavors from their area, and have their preferences.....KCMasterpiece, Blues Hog, etc.
You might make the best sauce in the world, but it would have to be exceptional to change the palletes of 6 people setting at the table.

Therefore, it's is a combination of store bought, doctored up.

Your thoughts?

To me part of the challenge is creating a sauce and a rub. I have made a few sauces that have scores well. But alot of people dont have the pallete to make sauces and rubs so store bought is a better solution.

To me part of the challenge is creating a sauce and a rub. I have made a few sauces that have scores well. But alot of people dont have the pallete to make sauces and rubs so store bought is a better solution.

Pallate, time, money, patience, ...

Some of it depends on your philosophy with comp... are you a scratch cook or a method cook? Method cooks typically win more because they are doing what other successful cooks have done. I've heard a lot of "I cook my xxx just like Lotta Bull." or "I use the Jumpin Jim's method with my chicken." This is what I would call a method cook. Follow the recipe for success and win.

Then there's the scratch cook. Paves his or her own way creating their own recipes, tools, and techniques. Clay referred to this as part of the challenge. Scratch cooks do well, but often leave with more personal satisfaction than silk (ribbons) or paper (money). I've heard cooks (on this board) say, "Anyone can cook a 5 lb. butt and put a commercial sauce on it. What's the challenge in that?" I respect that a lot. They are right that challenging meats are part of what BBQ is all about. On average, that attitude doesn't get you to the winners circle as often as tried and true methods and products. Is that wrong? I don't think so. Its personal choice. Its personal philosophy.

Who am I? I'm a struggling, aspiring Scratch Cook that ends up being a Method Cook at contests. :icon_blush:

I've been thinking about this theory for a few weeks but have never put it down in writing. Thanks for the opportunity to work some of these thoughts out a bit. :rolleyes:

I can't tell you.....it's a secret.....:p

Think about this.....a lot of your judges are used to certain flavors from their area, and have their preferences.....KCMasterpiece, Blues Hog, etc.
You might make the best sauce in the world, but it would have to be exceptional to change the palletes of 6 people setting at the table.

Therefore, it's is a combination of store bought, doctored up.

Your thoughts?

HINT!!
Judges aren't there to taste sauce.... (and NEVER alot of thick gooey sauce)
ModelMaker

Just found this thread as I was looking into some experimenting. What about taking a recipe from someone else? Like published on food network or in say Paul Kirk's cook book. Anyone have success with this?

I got 6th place in chicken going straight with one rub out of "smoke and spice"! Used a sauce that was store bought and doctored up some.

I was just reading some articles about the Paul Kirk and he makes a new rub, sauce, etc every year but he applies a method to his comps. So maybe it doesn't matter what you do as long as you are consistent.

Back