MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
dhalse001
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Double Barrel Keg Smoker Build

Hi all,

I'm a kiwi living in the UK and I hadn't heard of your (USA) smokers before until a South African home-brewing mate mentioned them and said he wanted to build one. I Googled it and was amazed by what you guys are up to - and yes, I wanted one too!

So, after a bit of reading and ambition, I settled on a double barrel smoker. I've finally finished it.

I got several ideas from various websites and pictures on the internet, and I wanted to share my build too especially if it will help anyone else in the future. The Brethren I believe is the best place to do that.

I had some spare stainless steel beer kegs. So I cut the rims off, and used one on the bottom for the fire box, and joined three together on the top for the food barrel.

[Please note that (in the UK) breweries own the beer kegs and they are expensive things, so no stealing - go and purchase them if you want to use them!]

Now, I'm not great at using forums, but I've tried to attach some pictures. They should be self explanatory.

Some notes:

1. Stainless steel is expensive. Because I had stainless beer kegs, I thought I would go all stainless. Ouch!
2. Stainless steel is much harder than normal mild steel. It wears out your tool tips very fast and it's hard to work.
3. I purchased a cheap Chinese WSME200 Tig. It works, well, intermittently, but the results are fine.
4. Stainless beer kegs are under slight spring tension. I never knew that and that has been the biggest headache for this project. I cut out the lid and it went 'ping' and distorted its shape. That meant hours of panel beating and buying custom rolled reinforcing steel around the lid (braces). Honestly, don't use beer kegs - this alone was the biggest pain.
5. My spring handle and thermometers are from the US. Thanks America!
6. If you have a Mrs, she won't like the smoker being inside the lounge while you measure it up, especially with a toddler running around. Some girls just don't understand...!

So for the first firing I risked it and invited several people. I heated it to 400+F (we actually do C over here... so about 215c) to cure it - ie burn any metal grease or anything else off it, then cooled it and smoked/cooked for just over 8 hours at about 205F. I used Hickory chips (USofA tree - we don't have those here).

When we opened the lid I couldn't believe the colour the smoker had gone - a reddy-brown and not greasy at all. The meat came out juicy and tender and was a 'hit' with everyone. Several of the Brits I invited hadn't had smoked meat before (other than cold smoked salmon and bacon, which are common here) and they loved it.

Things to do differently next time:
8 hours isn't long enough. Although tender, the meat didn't fall off the bone. I might try 24 hours at 205F next time.

Soak the gammon knuckle (ham hock, or whatever you guys call it) overnight in just water. I didn't bother, but I had been warned and sure enough the salt used in the curing does mean it's just a tad too salty to use as is. It was still damn good though.

Dave.
Thanks to the Yanks for all your help and ideas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0127.jpg (57.5 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0464.jpg (53.5 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0466.jpg (26.3 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0475.jpg (59.7 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0526.jpg (43.1 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1627.jpg (42.1 KB, 486 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1633.jpg (53.0 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1636.jpg (87.4 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1657.jpg (50.8 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1659.jpg (37.3 KB, 497 views)
dhalse001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is a Unique but Cool setup right there!! I like it.

Try smoking around 250* F - 205* is a little low......usually 225* is lowest ......I run 250-275* F on almost everything. Since it's stainless it probally don't matter but you usually coat entire inside with cooking oil to "Season" metal on first burn- keeps Steel from rusting.....

Hickory is my favorite wood- Pork does well with mix of Hickory and Fruit Tree wood- Oak is good too. Chunks (golf ball to fist sized) n Charcoal.

I saw this on the Web: http://www.druidswood.co.uk/index.html .... http://bbqsmokingwood.co.uk/ ......... http://www.smokinlicious.co.uk/ may or may not be usefull for ya?

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 09-14-2013 at 07:37 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Great lookin cooker and the food looks good to.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

First, welcome to the best damn BBQ forum there is, period. Next, that is one unique and cool cooker! Finally, some really good looking eats!

Old 09-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
MisterChrister

Nice build and great looking food! Glad you're here!

Old 09-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Diesel Dave

That is one way cool design there!!!
I like it. and thems some dang good lookkin eats too

Welcome!

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Thats a very cool smoker. Nice job
JENAIR GASSER
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
juslearning
is one Smokin' Farker

That is a great looking cooker.
Proud supporter of #14 Tony Stewart. Go Smoke!!!!
juslearning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
hogwild284
Full Fledged Farker

Cool design! Great job.

Just smoke it!
hogwild284 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Garrett
Babbling Farker

That's different. I like it!!

Old 09-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
BecknCO
On the road to being a farker

very creative - looks awesome!

Old 09-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
Dauvis
is One Chatty Farker

What a cool looking and unique smoker.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome to the Brethren! I'm fairly new and absolutely love this place...
Sweeeet smoker. Very unique design

Old 09-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome build! Very well thought out and different. I like it

Old 09-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #15
peeps

very cool!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote