MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #16
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I never said anything about not using it as a guide line, I use it as a guide line too for planning purposes, but some people take it as hard & set rule and the wonder why they are experiencing problems. My Rules will guarantee results if followed. 30+ yrs of tossing sticks has proven to me that the Meat will tell you when it's done and no thermometer reading or clock or scale will.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #17
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I never said anything about not using it as a guide line, I use it as a guide line too but some people take it as hard & set rule and the wonder why they are experiencing problems. My Rules will guarantee results if followed.
Very true that you didn't say it couldn't be used as a guideline. But the quote was "YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!". This quote is in all caps which is yelling and the text is red. So that along with the words "CAN NOT" and "MUST COOK BY FEEL" leave little room for ambiguity as to what is meant and the tone.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Arristillius
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
Very true that you didn't say it couldn't be used as a guideline. But the quote was "YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!". This quote is in all caps which is yelling and the text is red. So that along with the words "CAN NOT" and "MUST COOK BY FEEL" leave little room for ambiguity as to what is meant and the tone.
You must be new here, this rule gets posted here a lot, it gets posted here because it is spot on accurate and clearly worded.
You CANNOT cook with temp alone it WILL not consistently work this is one of the first lessons I learned about BBQ and it is the one that consistently raises true
Arristillius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
Bludawg

Obviously you have an issue that is not shared by many who are not so near sighted.You have an opinion and we all know the comparative definition of the word don't be the poster child for it. You have made your point so move on and stop trolling.Have a Nice Day.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
CambuiAl
On the road to being a farker

This is all really good advice for novices like me to learn from, but one thing I just don't get:

How do you all break it to your family that lunch might actually be dinner, or potentially even breakfast tomorrow? It kind of makes BBQ an operational nightmare!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
Arristillius
Got Wood.

I haven't missed a promised meal time since my first cook when I am doing a pork butt, I estimate based on its weight and the temp how long it will take, then I add 3 hours to that time, and start cooking based on that.

when it is done I put it into a warm cooler wrapped in towels, and I serve when everything else is ready, or when my wife says it's dinner time.

I have no clue when dinner will be done, so I figure that into my method.
Arristillius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #22
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arristillius View Post
I haven't missed a promised meal time since my first cook when I am doing a pork butt, I estimate based on its weight and the temp how long it will take, then I add 3 hours to that time, and start cooking based on that.

when it is done I put it into a warm cooler wrapped in towels, and I serve when everything else is ready, or when my wife says it's dinner time.

I have no clue when dinner will be done, so I figure that into my method.
I use the same basic formula for planning. In example: Since I cook at 300 I know that equates to 50 min lb on Pork butts + rest time. if it goes 1 hr Lb oh well have a few more beers.

Last edited by Bludawg; 07-11-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #23
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
This is all really good advice for novices like me to learn from, but one thing I just don't get:

How do you all break it to your family that lunch might actually be dinner, or potentially even breakfast tomorrow? It kind of makes BBQ an operational nightmare!

There has already been good advice given but one thing I do when I am on a tight schedule and the group still wants BBQ – I smoke the butt the day before ( even longer if needed). I pull the pork and vacuum seal it (with a little apple juice and sauce) then toss it in the fridge. About an hour before we eat I toss the vacuum bag in some boiling water until it is heated through.

Granted it is not the same as just off the smoker but I have not had any complaints and I am not stressed out around the cook.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote