• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Officially a primo xl owner

Tony A

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys very excited to announce that it will be here in one week . My new fiancé asked what I wanted for an engagement gift and I said forget jewelry I want a primo oval xl after a ton of haggling I got my primo xl on the stainless cart with almost every accessory for what I believe to be an amazing price. What I'm looking for now is an advice on how to get used to it (I'm going from a char griller Akron to this primo) and any advice or tips at all on any aspect of the grill please feel free to share any good cooks you have had on it good and bad experiences I'm looking for anything and everything there is to know about this grill! Also I would like to hear of any whole hog experiences that any of you have had on a primo xl

Congrats on the cooker. I wanted to get an XL when I got my KJ. You've got an awesome cooker there that will give many years of enjoyment.

Also congrats on the engagement.

Congrats! If you have an akorn, the learning curve should be minimal if any.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

congrats ! thats one i want also but really don't need. will be fun to see you progress with it.

Congratulations! The XL is a great cooker! The oval shape, D-Plates, variable cooking levels and firebox divider make it the best and most versatile ceramic on the market IMO. The fact that it's built in the US is another big plus.

Whole hog on a 25"x19" cook surface??? I'll be interested in answers to this myself?

I would really love to try a whole hog on this cooker but I'm not too sure if I could make it happen

Cograts! I just abused my XL on Saturday with a pork butt/babyback cook that went very smoothly. 16 hours of steady temps . .

If you've already got an Akorn there shouldn't be much of a learning curve. The temps will come up a little slower and adjustments will take a bit more time so you'll have to be patient. If you make an adjustment to a vent, just let it go for a bit and you'll see the change. And just because it's a bigger rig doesn't mean you have to make huge vent adjustments.

My favorite thing to do is to put in one d-plate and use that side for indirect cooking while the other side is used for direct cooking. Perfect for the reverse sear on steaks.

Test the dome thermometer. Mine was way off and was not adjustable. I replaced it with a tel-Tru and the accuracy is spot on. Much more peace of mind. Enjoy! PM me with any questions. I've got the SS Cart and all the accessories too.

Very nice and enjoy The first thing you should do is to cook her an awesome meal on it Never heard of engagement presents

Yea I didn't mean whole hog my mistake I ment like a little suckling pig

That would be farking awesome man!! Cook with skin on and at 250-275 till fall apart tender. Good eats.

I prefer to cook mine split down the back and skin side down to hold in all the juices till done.

I have the exact set up got it a couple weeks ago after only 35 years of marital bliss. You're way ahead of the game. I have used mine with split fire box and whole, makes it very versatile. It holds temp forever. To stay between 225 and 250 I have to completely close the bottom and barely crack the top. Got it over 600 in about 45 minutes too. The SS cart is quite sturdy and good thing since it's 200 pounds. Have lots of help setting the cooker down in the cart, it took me and three young bucks to load mine. All I still need is a cover. You'll live it. And good luck on what must be upcoming nuptials.

Congrats on the cooker I've had one for years now and sell a lot of them also. I personally don't know anyone who doesn't love theirs

Back