THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

forrest2906

Knows what a fatty is.
The wife wants to smoke some steelhead in the new bradley. Does anyone have a brine recipe or tips they really like for this?

She has smoked fish many times in the past, but that was with a little chief. ( what a pain )

Thanks, Chuckster

Smoked steelhead w/pron

Smoked the steelhead. Wife thinks she brined for too long. I thought she put it in this morning, she put it in the brine before going to bed last night. So it was in the brine all night and most of the day. Smoked in the bradley for 2.5 hours till an IT of 140F. IT was 25F outside where the smoker was. Temp in the smoker stayed really close to the 170F mark for the entire time. The first pic is after brine and prior to going in the smoker.
The second pic is after it came out of the smoker.

Chuckster

Last edited:
I know this is late...but here is the brine we use for our salmon.

4 cups water
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 stalk sliced celery
1/4 cup minced onion (the dried kind)
2 smashed garlic cloves

Juice of 1 lemon
2 Bay leaves
1 T peppercorns
Brine for 12 hours.
Rinse under cold water. Set on a rack and then place rack on cookie sheet. Place in fridge for 2 hours to let the pellicle (sp.) set up.

Smoke 'em.

I just use the egg test for brine. It allows me to make any quantity that I want.
Take an egg (in the shell) and place it in a pot of water. It should sink to the bottom.
Don't use an egg that doesn't sink. Put as much water as you want in a non-reactive
container (I use plastic). Start adding salt (I use un-iodized salt, only because I can),
stirring to dissolve the salt. Put in the egg. Still sinks? Take it out and add more salt.
Keep doing this until the egg barely breaks the surface of the water, and you're good to go.
Now you can add brown sugar, pepper flakes, whatever, but no more salt. This does not
change the salinity. Put your fish in the brine. I brine for at least 12 hrs, but have done it
for up to 4 days, and it doesn't make any difference. Solutions can't be separated by
filtering, and the fish reaches an equilibrium and won't get any saltier. Refridgerating while
brining is a good idea, but if it's cool enough outside, just put it in the garage, or use
ice in bags. The salt in the brine basically stops any decomposition. It's sorta like
making lox and gravlox, except those are dry cures, and typically are not refridgerated
during curing.

Last edited:
Back