Brisket Flat and Point

Weston81

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I bought a packer today for a cook tomorrow, the butcher I go to gives e a cheaper rate when I buy the whole thing instead of just a flat, as I am sure most do. My question is, what should I do with the point, I have the 18.5 WSM and couldn't fit the whole brisket on one rack. Should I smoke the point on the bottom rack and just clean it up for burnt ends? Or should I wait for another day and see what I can salvage from the point? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen posts of people wrapping the brisket in a circle to fit it onto smaller smokers.

Briskets already been cut, I thought about that after I call the butcher and told him to cut it. I saw a great post about wrapping it, would like to try it sometime.

I fit 12-14 pound packers on my 18.5 WSM all the time. What I do is wrap some HD foil around both the handles and spray them with some Pam. Hold the brisket under the middle and kind of "tuck" the two ends into the handles. The brisket will kind of fold part way and should be fine.

Eventually it will shrink and will fit without having to tuck it.
IMG_0007.jpg

If it's already separated I'd smoke the point at the same time as the flat.

When doing whole packers on my ECB bullet smoker I've draped them over a small bowl or beer can chicken holder to prop it up in the middle. Doing that pulls in the outside edges enough to fit. After a while it shrinks enough and I get rid of the chicken holder and put it right on the rack.

I separate the point and flat, put the flat on the rack and then lay the point on top of it, covering a little more of the flat than it did before. This allows me to still shut the lid, and more of the flat stays nice and moist. Once the brisket has shrunk during cooking I'll separate them and lay them side by side on the rack.

Back