• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket and your Rub (For the Funky Only)

Made a believer out of me. Sliced up a 12# packer this morning that I had on the WSM for 22 hours using K, Pecan, Cherry, and Oak. #1 was a coarse Kosher Salt, #2 was coarse ground black Pepper, #3 some granulated garlic. Best brisket I've ever made.

I'm worried about to much salt, momma don't care for it much. Should I be concerned?

no worries.

I am definatley a low salt family here.

My first layer was a sprinkling of course kosher salt. They way you normally would salt a steak.

Second was garlic salt. VERY light. Same with Onion salt, then Celery Salt. Just light sprinkles. then the pepper. My goal was to make the meat shine and NOT be overpowered or even masked by the seasonings.

I am sure one(maybe 2) of those can be replaced with the granulated non salt cousins.

Cool I'm going out to check on it now. It's only a small one so it's perfect for this run.

yall ever heard of the scuff?

I remember a long time ago... I bought Popdaddy a new pair of Leather SOULED shoes ya know. It wasn't 10 minutes after I gave them his shoes that that phone rang on the bag phone and he told me "do the scuff, yo"

Now Popdaddy is particular about his shoes... all that dancing and those that are funky knows what happens when you wear new leather bottomed shoes without scuffing them on some cement first. You can fall or slip. There has to be that juuuust right friction.

Well, after you use the Lawrys (if you use combo salts like onion salt, celery salt and such omit the lawrys or be conservative) after you put your own twists of powders or granuals, when you mix up that large grained stuff, you need to SCUFF UP THAT BRISKET. Rub against the grain hard like you want to get the shine off of Popdaddys soles, and then with the grain, bending and kneading those kernals, your signature and that pepper all in those muscle fiber channels and fat. Then use a bit more and pack it on a bit. For those worried about salt the finer the grain the saltier it will be.

I think some have missed out on some of the funkiness of this thread. I hope I am interpreting it right myself. :biggrin: My interpretation of the 3 layer rub was to have a finer grain salt on first. This will help carry flavor inward and get things all "stanky". The second layer is your peppers and other seasonings. Then the 3rd layer was a course grain salt to help with the bark. Funk, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Got it. Did the fine salt, pepper etc but havnt added the final layer of salt and i'm glad I waited till you got out of bed.lol

This is kinda like "don't do what I do, do what I say.":p

The first I used, I used Lawrys ONLY because I wanted a throwback to Angelos of Forth Worth and that's their thang. I do agree that finer salts in conservative amounts (not like I did in that video) go on first. This can be your celery, onion and garlic salts. Now in my case, since I only had lawrys I used my rub second... which actually is where my signature is... for instance I have a lot of Paprika, CELERY SEED, in there... but lower amounts of salt in it because it was tweaked to be my all purpose rub (eggs to potato salad to ribs to armadillo eggs). The final rub doesn't have to be my combination of no salt lemon pepper, pepper and montreal... just make sure everythang is large grained and rubbed in. So... no the second layer is not pepper (unless you want it to be) but it can be flavors.

So 1st layer (Fine Salts Carrier pulling the next layer.)
2cnd layer is Signature Flavor (Granulates, powders, low salt rubs)
3rd layer is large grains (pushing the two other layers flavor in sort of)

Cavat - If you are using finer grain salts and want to omit the first step then its a texas two step... close to Billy Bones Wall I Guess. That makes a fine product too.

Its kinda like
Layer one (fine salts)
Layer two (Dusts, powder granules)
Three (large cracked thangs)

I would say if can even omit the first two and just use large grains and its quite good.

The answer is no... throwing it all together in one rub is not the same.

I think some have missed out on some of the funkiness of this thread. I hope I am interpreting it right myself. :biggrin: My interpretation of the 3 layer rub was to have a finer grain salt on first. This will help carry flavor inward and get things all "stanky". The second layer is your peppers and other seasonings. Then the 3rd layer was a course grain salt to help with the bark. Funk, please correct me if I'm wrong.

go back and view the video brisket prep again.

Got it. Did the fine salt, pepper etc but havnt added the final layer of salt and i'm glad I waited till you got out of bed.lol

So 1st layer (Fine Salts Carrier pulling the next layer.)
2cnd layer is Signature Flavor (Granulates, powders, low salt rubs)
3rd layer is large grains (pushing the two other layers flavor in sort of)

Its kinda like
Layer one (fine salts)
Layer two (Dusts, powder granules)
Three (large cracked thangs)

I would say if can even omit the first two and just use large grains and its quite good.

The answer is no... throwing it all together in one rub is not the same.
If this would have been the first post on page one then the subsequent 12 pages would not have been necessary...

ahhh yes but look at the journey we took and what we have learned from each other. See, by making things ridiculously complex we tend to try to understand it more.

Simple recipes on a sheet of paper don't really scream out to me to be made.

If this would have been the first post on page one then the subsequent 12 pages would not have been necessary...

ahhh yes but look at the journey we took and what we have learned from each other. See, by making things ridiculously complex we tend to try to understand it more.

Simple recipes on a sheet of paper don't really scream out to me to be made.

I agree. You need to have the first 12 pages to understand why you are doing what you are doing. I hate cooking without knowing why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I love the pepper but it was a bit much for the kids. I now have a good starting point to build on :cool: It's resting right now so we will se what happend in just under an hour.

Remember I started with a rolled brisket so this was a section that fell out when I cut the strings. Gotta have something for the cook now don't cha?

2enoor5.jpg

I love the pepper but it was a bit much for the kids. I now have a good starting point to build on :cool: It's resting right now so we will se what happend in just under an hour.

Thats odd... if you use 60 mesh or above pepper it milds out as long as you don't wrap it.

I find when I use regular pepper it IS too peppery

Back