MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default The County Fair

Parrot Head just revived a great thread from this forum (food handling and awareness, that I thank BBQJoe for very much) and this came to mind.

Our local county fair is next week. I read the brochure and took notice of the various food contests that are actually fund raisers. The format consists of the entrants paying an entry fee, providing a specified amount of the fare du jour (chili, pork chops, burgers, chicken, etc.) and the promoter (usually 4H, cancer society, MS society, etc.) sells tickets to the public for the opportunity to sample the entries and vote for the winner. We've done it here, and elsewhere I'm sure, for many years. Never a problem that I recollect.

This is pretty much the same as your church's bake sale to me. Not a commercial endeavor in the least. All done with good intent.

My state (Minnesota) recently passed a law releasing the participants from liability for such events. I think it was labeled as the casserole rule or something like that.

Just food for thought I guess.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

That sounds cool. I think Phil had posted somewhere that there was something similar in his state that allowed such things.

I've become quite the stickler on this stuff since getting certified and working on getting our place going. Bake sales are definately cool. It's dealing with high protien content where this stuff gets really important and shouldn't be laxed. Even in charity events.

There is a restaurant in Chicago right now that will probably close it's doors because as of last count there are over 600 people that got sick. There will be some law suits for sure.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
That sounds cool. I think Phil had posted somewhere that there was something similar in his state that allowed such things.

I've become quite the stickler on this stuff since getting certified and working on getting our place going. Bake sales are definately cool. It's dealing with high protien content where this stuff gets really important and shouldn't be laxed. Even in charity events.

There is a restaurant in Chicago right now that will probably close it's doors because as of last count there are over 600 people that got sick. There will be some law suits for sure.
Is this the incident and the resturant that you speak of? Man....what a mess!!!

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/4...aste14.article

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep, that's the one.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote