• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Group Discussion #1 Rubber gloves

I really like the point of "Guests" seeing you prepare done meat with gloves. If it is someone you know and they eat your grub all the time, they probably know how clean you are and it doesn't matter. But when you have new folks that may not know your process and see you ripping into a chunk of meat with out gloves, it may turn them off a bit. Never though of putting the the glove on the rub. I will use that.

Do you use rubber gloves? I use them everytime I handle meat.

When do you use them? I use them everytime when I rub meat.
When do you change them? Everytime I rub some different meat.
What are your thoughts in general on rubber gloves? Its good to have on your protection when handling your meat.

I started using gloves when I began competing, and now I use them all the time, even at home. I use Akers food service synthetic, powder free gloves, six bucks at the local restaurant supply. I even keep a separate box in my home kitchen. Pretty much all the same reasons as posted by others, more sanitary, easy clean up. Keeps hands from getting all smelly too.

I use the nitrile type gloves for all food prep. Keeps the rub from irritating the skin. I use the purple ones!

I also use a combination of two gloves when turning the meat on the smoker. I put on a pair of cotton gloves and then put on a pair of #10 "canners" gloves. I get them from our safety supply store at work. Canners gloves are a very very thick latex glove used in the commercial food prep industry. With the cotton gloves on under them you can turn 30 butts and never get burned.
Slip them off and use when you need to turn again.

Thread revival got me until I reached KC's post. :cry: Damnit I miss him.

I use gloves for everything prepping, cooking, carving, etc. A lot easier than washing your hands 400 times. Looks good to the guests as well. They think you're just doing it for their safety. :twisted:

I am with jeff here

harbor fright in columbia mo is where i get my glove there the thin latex
XL for 3.00 an box
or they have big blue gloves they are 7.00 an box and are twice the thickness of the Nitriles

when the rubs go on it is faster to clean the hands with gloves on
we like the convence of the glove

york

I typically use those super thin food service gloves from restaurant supply places. I hate them. Are the blue? nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight 'clean and food safe' out of the box?

Wanted to add something....I frequently double glove. I learned it more when I was doing surgical procedures. I found after doing all my work and wanting to wrap up after the procedure I would deglove the dirty first pair and still have a barrier protection to work with the patient. I do it when I rub meats too. After the rub gums everything up, I deglove and am readyt o process the next step with clean gloves. Scott

What about the powder on the inside? Doesn't that transfer onto the outer skin on the inside glove you had on? The gloves I use are latex exam gloves by Value Touch. They have a light powder coating on the inside. I don't think I want that on my food.
value_touchex_150

What about the powder on the inside? Doesn't that transfer onto the outer skin on the inside glove you had on? The gloves I use are latex exam gloves by Value Touch. They have a light powder coating on the inside. I don't think I want that on my food.
value_touchex_150

Often, that's corn starch...which is inert.

Something that's often forgotten is: you should wash your hands each time to change gloves!! It's in the RULE BOOK!!:grin: Trust me!!:wink: I know we don't do it all the time, but gloves are never an excuse for not washing the hands.

Something that's often forgotten is: you should wash your hands each time to change gloves!! It's in the RULE BOOK!!:grin: Trust me!!:wink: I know we don't do it all the time, but gloves are never an excuse for not washing the hands.

I wash my hands very often but not everytime I change gloves. There are many times I change gloves because I tear one or I have to slip one off for some reason. That may be a habit I start though. I never knew corn starch is what was used in gloves. Thanks for the info.

See the jars in this pic? they got a glove on them. I also put on glove on all the rub jars and shakers before i start prepwork so I dont get coodies on them...
I tried the jar condom idea yesterday. What a great idea! Sure beats wiping the containers all the time.

I looked at the nitrile gloves at harbor freight. They are powdered on the outside, and inside i guess, which to me defeats the purpose a little bit. In other words, prior to handling foods, thes gloves should be sponge washed.

These particular gloves might use corn starch, but I am not going to test it. They say 'industrial grade', not food grade, and not medical grade.

I will just continue with my constant hand washing, and using the new food service gloves when handling cooked meat for presentation as a double safe guard.

I use them as I am pulling the meat out of the wrapper. I use them the entire time I am handeling the meat. I change them any time I switch from slather to rubs, and any time I switch meats. If I stop for a few minutes in between I use them. We usually go through a box or two of gloves each contest.

I looked at the nitrile gloves at harbor freight. They are powdered on the outside, and inside i guess, which to me defeats the purpose a little bit. In other words, prior to handling foods, thes gloves should be sponge washed.

These particular gloves might use corn starch, but I am not going to test it. They say 'industrial grade', not food grade, and not medical grade.

I will just continue with my constant hand washing, and using the new food service gloves when handling cooked meat for presentation as a double safe guard.

I confirmed the harbor frieght gloves are indeed cornstarch - right there on the label , below the bottm of the box in wee tiny print non caking corn starch at that ... so they say

I've seen these at Sams over by the pharmacy near the diabetic supplies.

You get 2 boxes of 100 for about 10 bucks, at least that is the way they have them packaged at our Sams.

For some reason the web site only has them listed in 1000 count.
Not a bad deal actually.

These are what I'm using.

Rather than gloves on the jars, I wrap with plastic wrap, then discard when done for the day. Cheaper than gloves :)

After setting up camp, that is the first thing I try to remember to do....

And being allergic to pork... I use a TON of gloves and soap. Gloves on before opening pork butt packages.... trim, etc.... change gloves.... then rub. Take off gloves, and wash well.... more gloves, then on to the ribs. Same thing....

The same goes for the brisket and the chicken. I picked up a couple of boxes from Harbor Freight the last time through S.C..... I usually keep at least 3-4 boxes handy at all times.

I also like the idea for the public to see me using the gloves. They like the "safety" and cleanliness I am sure.

Not only do I have to look out for myself, but I feel it is best for all involved. And with my allergy, I use different knives, cutting boards, etc. for my pork products than for my beef and chicken. Then they all go into the wash basin for a thorough cleaning and sanitizing.

I go through a ton of gloves.
I use em all the time. I get really cool black ones that narcotics officers use. I get em from a narco officer actually. They are reallay comforable, fit the hands well, and are a bit thicker than most dispsable gloves out there. I use em all through the cook.

I am stealing the glove on the spice bottle trick someone posted in a picture on page 1. Thats a great idea. Good thinking.

I go through a ton of gloves.
I use em all the time. I get really cool black ones that narcotics officers use. I get em from a narco officer actually. They are reallay comforable, fit the hands well, and are a bit thicker than most dispsable gloves out there. I use em all through the cook.

I am stealing the glove on the spice bottle trick someone posted in a picture on page 1. Thats a great idea. Good thinking.

And if you pit-bi tch for Gary he'll give you one black glove at a time to use...I know, I've seen it!!

Back