MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #31
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
Blackened prime rib? Sorry you lost me after I read that. Sounds amazing.
Yea, pretty damn good! I've got a 2 bone prime rib leftover vacuum packed in the freezer. I'll pull it out and thaw and get it up to room temps, then slice it relatively thin (about 1/2"-3/4") apply a good blackening rub and just sear in cast iron skillet over a super hot fire (it is already cooked to rare, don't want to take it too far). Yum!

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #32
dwfisk

Default Update - first dinner

Tonight had to be pretty quick. Mac (my son) was at college all day and I was stacking hay round bales in the barn. Nettles sausage links (a local spicy brat) & grilled onion sandwiches. They look pretty lonely on the 26.75 OGT, should have pulled a fatty or two out of the freezer.

Fresh cuban bread, little yellow mustard & grilled onions.

OK, definitely a guy meal. Gonna have to do better with veggies & stuff for the rest of the week. Pulled some smoked chicken leftovers out of the freezer for tomorrow - smoked chicken enchilada soup!

Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #33
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

That is a great looking sandwich!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #34
Diesel Dave

I love good cubam bread.
The sammiches look great

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #35
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I would just .......PIG OUT!
I would be eating bacon cheese burgers, bacon wrapped fatties and steak and eggs for breakfast every day!!!
I am hoping your wife does not belong to this forum.
Fried chicken and wafels are also the bomb for breakfast or supper. Just go crazy. And let us know how you both survived.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #36
Packmanjim
Full Fledged Farker

I love veggies on the grill but to feed a 19 yr old you need to make a skillet of goolash with poblano and bell peppers and large elbow noodles. Best with lean ground beef but ground turkey works great too.
Smokey Joe mini
Smokin Cajun Gasser
Packmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #37
Fwismoker

LOL, you do know you need to figure in some left overs...

That said how about some mushroom and swiss burgers..and fries.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #38
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Yea, pretty damn good! I've got a 2 bone prime rib leftover vacuum packed in the freezer. I'll pull it out and thaw and get it up to room temps, then slice it relatively thin (about 1/2"-3/4") apply a good blackening rub and just sear in cast iron skillet over a super hot fire (it is already cooked to rare, don't want to take it too far). Yum!
Oh man my mouth is literally watering right now as I picture it in my head. So you're roasting the prime rib first then finishing it off in a super hot pan with blackening spice? Wow I actually feel kind of dumb for not thinking of that before. It sounds unreal!!

Old 10-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #39
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
I would just .......PIG OUT!
I would be eating bacon cheese burgers, bacon wrapped fatties and steak and eggs for breakfast every day!!!
I am hoping your wife does not belong to this forum.
Fried chicken and wafels are also the bomb for breakfast or supper. Just go crazy. And let us know how you both survived.
I hope you stay married, or you are gonna' be 350 pounds of heart attack waiting to happen.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #40
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

^^^^^ yes.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #41
dwfisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
Oh man my mouth is literally watering right now as I picture it in my head. So you're roasting the prime rib first then finishing it off in a super hot pan with blackening spice? Wow I actually feel kind of dumb for not thinking of that before. It sounds unreal!!
Yep, we usually cook bone in full rib roasts and cut the leftovers (if any) into 2 bone segments, vacuum bag & freeze. I have one left in the freezer so I'll just thaw, debone (use the bone for an au jus) cut into slices and blacken. Thin slices make great sammies, thicker for a plated dinner.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #42
chris_c
Found some matches.

I'm with the other folks who suggested pork shoulder. You can add it into other recipes as well, if you get sick of BBQ (*gasp*)

One thing that went over really well with my girls, was adding the smokey pork into mac and cheese.

You also could do a large batch of chili.. Or you could feed them like my father did, with his left over c-rats and MREs (Meals Ready to Eat).

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #43
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

smoked chicken enchilada soup!

Please elaborate....that sounds very interesting.....

Old 10-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #44
dwfisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
smoked chicken enchilada soup!

Please elaborate....that sounds very interesting.....
It is on the menu for tonight. I'm starting with a google'd up recipe that is supposed to be a knock off of Chili's "chicken enchilada soup". Theirs has a significant cheese component I really like. Seems all the recipes suggest boneless skinless breasts, but I have a bunch of leftover smoked chicken defrosting now and will use that. I'll put up a quick update after dinner tonight.

Last edited by dwfisk; 10-11-2013 at 09:00 AM..
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #45
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
It is on the menu for tonight. I'm starting with a google'd up recipe that is supposed to be a knock off of Chili's "chicken enchilada soup". Theirs has a significant cheese component I really like. Seems all the recipes suggest boneless skinless breasts, but I have a bunch of leftover smoked chicken defrosting now and will use that. I'll put up a quick update after dinner tonight.
I bet it will be phenomenal!