Mah Duck!

Blah64

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
There didn't really seem be any sort of consensus on how to cook a duck on the internet. Some seem to swear by low & slow, others say it needs hot & fast, so I just went & cooked it at whatever temperature my WSM wanted, and for however long I felt like.

I glazed it with a molasses/maple/Worcestershire Sauce mix and rubbed on some Plowboy's Yarbird rub.

Smoked it with Cherry Wood & a little mesquite.

After eating it, I cooked up a duck soup soup with the carcass. I tried to catch the rendered duck fat, but it all burned or evaporated. It wasn't salvageable, and I don't think I didn't cook it long enough to render out all of the fat anyways.

2013-10-06111852_zps098ef77e.png

2013-10-06115911_zpsf9d1eb47.png

2013-10-06115946_zpsd6b664fe.png

It sure looks good to me. Maybe next time you can start with some liquid already in the pan so it want burn.

Looks Great! According to my Thermapen chart, Duck is right @ 165*F in deep breast. That's minimum according to USDA. I normally try to go between 165-170*F for birds.

Oh my. Great looking duck. I haven't done one in years, but I think it's about time to dig out my old recipe and get to work on a couple of quackers. Thanks for the idea!

Back