MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
King
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Yeah...I'm confused

If you got a contract, and you're the author of the book...shouldn't you be the one writting and testing the recipes?

Also, if some one offers up a recipe, you should do a lot more than just try to make sure the person you get the recipe from get's recognized for their contribution.

Granted, I didn't get paid for my contrabution to Charbroil's book, but they had a write up about the person that contributed the recipe with each one in the book and each person received a free copy of the book.

Something just doesn't seem right here.
Who says I wasn't doing any of that? You don't know because you didn't ask.

22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker
22.5" Weber OTG
Weber Spirit E-310
Brinkman offset smoker
Brinkman ECB smoker (modified)
UDS (under construction)
King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Marinade in some of O'Fallon Brewery's best, and you might be onto something there. ;)
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King View Post
They came to me, I didn't call them. It's too good of an opportunity to pass up. Initially, I thought they were asking me to collaborate on a book and I figured to give the Brethren a opportunity, hence this thread. But that changed to me having responsibility coming up with the manuscript and components such as illustrations, photos, table of contents, index, etc.

This may not be worth anybody's while, but the offer is still stands. Thanks!

I'm assuming from the statement highlighted that this publishing company doesn't normally do cook books? Most that do, have a subcontract with other chefs and food photographers that test run the recipes and do the photo shoots. I've never heard of one asking some one else to do all of that work not knowing if they had the credentials and ability to pull it off professionally.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Last edited by CarolinaQue; 02-08-2013 at 09:50 PM..
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
They came to me, I didn't call them. It's too good of an opportunity to pass up. Initially, I thought they were asking me to collaborate on a book and I figured to give the Brethren a opportunity, hence this thread. But that changed to me having responsibility coming up with the manuscript and components such as illustrations, photos, table of contents, index, etc.

This may not be worth anybody's while, but the offer is still stands. Thanks!
You might get some more cooperation if you were able to provide a little more context. Who came to you? What's the format, how will people be credited? etc.

The Brethren are a generous bunch, but I think most of us would agree that we don't appreciate our good nature being taken advantage of, and for some reason this approach doesn't quite pass the smell test.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Who says I wasn't doing any of that? You don't know because you didn't ask.
Because you said that you would do your best to make sure people were recognized for their contribution. To say that you would do your best to do some thing tells me that you don't have a solid plan at this point. Just an observation.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Last edited by CarolinaQue; 02-08-2013 at 09:51 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
King
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I really think that before any one hands over a recipe, more should be known about how it all fits together in the book. Is the book a collaboration of recipes from around the country? If so, is it going to be framed like that in the book? Is it going to be marketed as "original" recipes from one source? Who is the publisher and what demograph are they trying to reach with the book? I think that these are all fair questions to ask considering so much is unkown.
You won't know more details...keep the conspiracy theories coming!

Despite the razzing, this is a sincere effort. Send me a message if you're interested.

22.5" Weber OTG
Weber Spirit E-310
Brinkman offset smoker
UDS (under construction)

Old 02-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
You won't know more details...keep the conspiracy theories coming!

Despite the razzing, this is a sincere effort. Send me a message if you're interested.

Not sure of any conspiracy theories, but you might get more interest by providing more info. People are more apt to offer things up if it's all laid out in the open from the get go and not having to fish for the info or details.

- Beautiful family

Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
King
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Because you said that you would do your best to make sure people were recognized for their contribution. To say that you would do your best to do some thing tells me that you don't have a slid plan at this point. Just an observation.
You're right, you got me...I don't have a plan because it's only been 6 hours since I got the email and the offer a few hours ago. I haven't even been home yet to talk to the wife about it.

22.5" Weber OTG
Weber Spirit E-310
Brinkman offset smoker
UDS (under construction)

Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
King
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
You might get some more cooperation if you were able to provide a little more context. Who came to you? What's the format, how will people be credited? etc.

The Brethren are a generous bunch, but I think most of us would agree that we don't appreciate our good nature being taken advantage of, and for some reason this approach doesn't quite pass the smell test.
I understand what you're saying. I disclosed everything to everybody who sent me a message and I'm going to stick to that process. I'm just giving folks an opportunity to have their rib recipe in a cookbook, nothing more.

I'm real stubborn.

22.5" Weber OTG
Weber Spirit E-310
Brinkman offset smoker
UDS (under construction)

Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #25
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

What this thread needs, is more beer.
Please see my previous post.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #26
King
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
Marinade in some of O'Fallon Brewery's best, and you might be onto something there. ;)
Dude, I love me some Wheach or 5-day IPA!

22.5" Weber OTG
Weber Spirit E-310
Brinkman offset smoker
UDS (under construction)

Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #27
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

King, sounds like your "Court Jester". Fire up your gas grill and get back to US!
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #28
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

BTW, can you post a copy of the release that must be signed by the 200 participants, it would be most helpful in our decision making process.
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #29
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Folk, King asked a question/simple request.

Participate if you want, and if your not interested, dont.

Theres no reason to belittle or speculate that theres underlying motives. If youre not comfortable with the request, simply move on. Theres plenty in the forum to keep us amused.

If you think theres some interest, asking some questions for details or intentions is fine, please refrain from any accusations and assumptions. Based on what kings posting, he has about as much info as 6 hours can bring.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #30
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

I can't imagine 200 recipes for ribs that would be different enough to even make them worth putting into a cookbook, but good luck with your project
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->