Traditional NC Bar-B-Q (Lexington style) - Secrets from SirPorkalot HQ

That was an excellent post! On a side note, I'm from the pee dee region of SC, and I use mustard, hunts ketchup, steak sauce, and apple vinegar among other things in my sauce. Does that make me a confused soul???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all!

As with everyone else I experiment with all different types of rubs and techniques, but when it comes to just making some bbq to eat and fill the freezer with future rations, I always go back to the techniques learned back home.

The more I try different things, the more I appreciate the KISS method!!!

The only way I was taught different than your approach is to salt right before putting the meat on and to also salt the skin. Other than that, that's the way it's done!

I was hoping a post was gonna accompany the awesome pic you put up in the "wordless picture thread". Just beautiful all the way around sir! :clap2:

This will be my next pulled pork cook - thanks for putting that up!

That looks fantastic. I'm very new to BBQ. I'm finishing my UDS this weekend. As far as a rub and sauce go, I think the simplicity of this makes it perfect for my first attempt, but two cuts of meat might be a little too much to take on. Going with one cut, which would be my best bet?

All I can say is "perfect". Now I know what I am going to do for the Falcons game this weekend.

That looks fantastic. I'm very new to BBQ. I'm finishing my UDS this weekend. As far as a rub and sauce go, I think the simplicity of this makes it perfect for my first attempt, but two cuts of meat might be a little too much to take on. Going with one cut, which would be my best bet?

Either will make great pulled pork, but for your first, I would go with a pork butt.

Thanks all!

As with everyone else I experiment with all different types of rubs and techniques, but when it comes to just making some bbq to eat and fill the freezer with future rations, I always go back to the techniques learned back home.

So you say there is some in the freezer..I will be down in a few hours to take that off your hands.

Looks mighty fine! That's very similar to what I grew up on and still make. And yep, a lot of the old-timer Piedmont/western NC bbq cooks added a little bit of mustard to that same basic recipe you gave. It ain't just a SC thing. It's firmly entrenched in many of the NC regional styles, too. there isn't any "one official" NC bbq, but all NC regional styles are very similar in the end.

Thanks for the detailed post and pics! Nicely done. :thumb:

I normally get suspicious when someone pre-sauces the meat - but I have to say, yours looks awesome!

I think I'll put that on my to-do list. :-D

Looks mighty fine! That's very similar to what I grew up on and still make. And yep, a lot of the old-timer Piedmont/western NC bbq cooks added a little bit of mustard to that same basic recipe you gave. It ain't just a SC thing. It's firmly entrenched in many of the NC regional styles, too. there isn't any "one official" NC bbq, but all NC regional styles are very similar in the end.

a "little bit" of mustard is one thing.

Them crazy folks south of you turn there darn sauce yellowish orange from the stuff. :wink:

However, I have to stand for what I believe is right..and mustard on bbq pork is just NOT right. :biggrin1:

a "little bit" of mustard is one thing.

Them crazy folks south of you turn there darn sauce yellowish orange from the stuff. :wink:

However, I have to stand for what I believe is right..and mustard on bbq pork is just NOT right. :biggrin1:

Yep, the SC sauce is way too mustardy to suit me. BBQ sauce shouldn't be yaller. :biggrin1:

I am from western SC and put no sauce on mine. I also don't usually put it on a bun with slaw. If it goes on a bun, there will be DUKE"Smayonaise on it. But, I will definately try this. Is the slaw a sweet slaw?

Great tutorial by the way. Sammie looks awesome!!!!

I don't do the mustard sauce either.

Outstanding.

I like a good slaw on my pork or brisket with CWB as well.

Back