MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default I made some Authentic Philly Cheesesteaks a while back, 56k warning, prOn overload!

So now that Bigabyte managed to erect his poll. I figure it's about time I start shamefully pimpin' my wares. I figure with all of the other outstanding entries over in the Cheesesteak TD I may need to grovel a bit for some votes. So here's what I hope is some enticing prOn of some darn good sandwiches inspired by the Philly originals.

You can see the other entries and cast your vote here.

It all started a couple weeks ago when I was sitting at Citizens Bank Park catching a Phills game. So I'm sitting there eating my Schmitter and John Mayberry Jr. comes up to the plate. I look up at the scoreboard and lo and behold, he's from...where else, but Overland Fark, KS. Now this say's Overland Park but I'm sure they just misspelled Fark.

Now on with the rest of my inspiration. There's a local pub called McNally's that invented a sandwich called the Schmitter which is also sold in the Eagles and Phillies stadiums. Now it's a great sandwich, although it's getting kind of expensive, $9 these days, it was $6.50 when the park opened and my last one was looking kind of sad.

Most would think it's named after Phillies Hall of Fame third baseman, Mike Schmidt, but that's not the case, it's actually named after a beer. The famed Schmidt's beer. In any event, I decided to make my version at home for you guys and gals, along with a couple other REAL Philly versions of a cheesesteak.

My original plan was to cook these on my OTS on my cast iron griddle, unfortunately the griddle was too big for the OTS, but luckily I have an XL egg sitting right beside it. I fired up some Humprey's lump charcoal and had at it.

Here are the ingredients, you can disregard the chicken steaks in the back, I ran out of time before the Eagles game, and those will have to wait for next time. For the Schmitter I bought a nice looking Ribeye and murdered it on my meat slicer into semi-thin slices. The other pile of meat is hand sliced choice beef from the butcher in the local farmers market. Yep, that is Cheez Whiz in the back, we'll get to that later.

Here's the murdered Ribeye.

Fark! The picture is supposed to be right here but for some reason it's not showing up, you can see the murdered Ribeye 2 pics down. Maybe it'll show up eventually, I've edited it so many times maybe 10 of them will show up.

I made up the special sauce for the Schmitter, it's something along the lines of Thousand Island I believe. So I just went with this. Ketchup, Mayo, chopped pickles, pickle juice and some woosty sauce.

These babies cook pretty quick so I assembled everything out by the grill.

Now for the bread, they do sell Amoroso's rolls in my grocery store, although the woman in front of me bought all of them as I stood there and watched. No matter though, there is a great Italian bakery right down the road called Corropolese so I made a trip over there for a dozen steak rolls and a dozen medium kaiser's. The best part about these rolls is the soft center, man I love these things.

Then the action started. A pile of sliced onions and the Ribeye went on the grill.

Some fried Salami.

Now onto assembly, the Schmitter starts with the bottom bun, then cheese, steak meat, onions, tomatoes, more cheese, fried Salami, special sauce, and finally more cheese, and the top bun, American cheese BTW. Here's how it went down.

Yep, it's a whole lotta awesome.

So for my next trick, I figured since I was going over to a friends for the Birds game, I'd pack some cheesesteaks for the peeps. Today we had Whiz Wit, and some suburban variety cheesesteaks, around my house most people like them with American, onions, and sauce. I also made no onion versions for the crazy people.

There is always a debate about chopped vs. sliced steak, I like them both and here we're doing chopped. I guess you could say I like Pat's more than Geno's, although neither of them are really the best you can find.

4lbs of razor thin steak.

Diced onions.

Meat.

Sauce and onions.

Whiz. (Note: When using Whiz it's important to warm it up before you spread it on the bun. I heated mine on the stove in a water bath, but the microwave works too. At a lot of steak joints they'll just sit the can on the flat top all day.)

Wit.

Here's some of them spread out at the party.

Schmitter, it get's all melty, and messier after it sits wrapped up in foil for a bit.

Whiz Wit for me.

and the obligatory cute kids shot, the party was a huge success, including a big 1pt win by the Eagles.

I'm torn over the money shot. Maybe Al can decide for me between these two.

Thank for looking.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I love you! haha just kidding but I do love yer post!
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Yum, white American cheese! Being from Jersey, never could stand the cheese whiz!

Those look awesome!

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

Well done. Now I know what is for dinner tomorrow night. thanks for the tutorial!
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Wow! That looks good!!!
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yummmmmm..... Looks great.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Eatin Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Everything looked blurry in the pictures after I licked the computer screen!

Damn.......those look outstanding!
Eatin Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Ijustwantedtolookatpics
On the road to being a farker

Wow, outstanding!
Guess what I'm making this weekend?!
Weber gasser
Kinda-fast Grey Thermapen
Ijustwantedtolookatpics is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Dayum fine sammie!! Your post in the TD inspired us to convert Alex's B.O.M.B. burger into a philly-style sandwich.

That schmitter looks like the schit!! Had some neighbors that moved to PA...might hafta go visit them.

And it's named after the legendary schmidt beer!!?? OMG...do you know how many "sport pack attacks" I had during high school/college?? Oh man, the "animal" beer...
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Please Please Please dont use the wit. Awesome post till you put the Wit in Love the steaks There are few things better than a good cheese steak- I like provolone You made me really hungry
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Wow Jason!! I haven't looked at the other entries but yours looks like a winner for sure!! Danged fine job.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
gtr

Absolutely fanfarkingtastic right there! Great post, great grub, great pix!

I'm gonna have to look into this Philly Cheesesteak thingee...
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
Smokeass
Knows what a fatty is.

Holy Moses!!!! That looks good!!
16' Homemade comp trailer, [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=red]Pitmaker BBQ Safe[/COLOR][/FONT], Homemade offset patio smoker, 22" Weber Kettle, [COLOR=magenta]Proud owner of the ugliest UDS Ever aka. Frank.[/COLOR]
Smokeass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thank you for the complements everyone!

There's only one thing wrong here...I'm loosing to an Australian and a guy from California! Help me people, go vote please, oh the shame, the shame!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
Boshizzle

Very nice!