first rib cook on the BGE XL (pron)

thaifighter06

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Over the busiest weekend of my life, a few good friends moved into their new house down the street. I had to play guitar at 2 different weddings (Sat and Sun) and was completely unavailable to help them move. I figured the least I could do was make a little "moving food" to ease the pain. I did a rack of trimmed spares and 2 half racks of baby backs. I had them on the BGE XL with good smoke going at 260-275 for about 3 hours, foiled with butter, honey and brown sugar for another 2 hours, then sauced them up and finished them on the Weber Genesis.

Question : At what temps do y'all cook ribs? I think the first few hours were just great, but when the foil went on, the egg dipped a bit to the 225 range (I tightened up the vents to test temp ranges and I think I lost my flame).

The pull on the ribs was great, just thought I'd ask for good rib technique. As you can see in the pic, the color, smoke ring and tenderness was all there.

Last edited:
I usually shoot for around 250* with my St. Louie's, maybe a little less with baby backs but not much less. The UDS likes to settle in around 250* so I don't fight it, I just sit back and imbibe in an oat soda. Usually takes around three to four hours to get a good pullback(sometimes longer, it's done when it's done) and the results are mouth-watering.

Looks delicious!! :thumb:
I want to hear more about your guitar playing. :becky:

Back