MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #31
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Subscribed!

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #32
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
I would think you'd want to keep the door and the firebox separate, just so you don't have to slide out the firebox every time you want to peek at the fire. I would definitely put it on rails so you can slide it out easily, and add a handle. That's one thing my backwoods doesn't have, so it's a bit of a pain to slide in and out to add charcoal or chunks of wood.

Also, you may want to check on the size of the fan for the stoker. I have a fatboy and use the 5cfm with no issue. 25cfm may be overkill.
Good point, I didn't take into account the times I'll just want to look at the fire. I think I'll order hinges and latches and keep them separate.

I agree that the 25CFM fan might be overkill. I'm hoping it will work but if I have to bump it down a size I'll be fine with that too. I figured with as expensive as the fans are I might as well get the big one to start instead of having to buy it later.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #33
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Little more progress today. Got the bottom of the interior panels welded up. The smoke stack cut, fit and welded into place. And the interior top panel cut, trimmed, hammered, persuaded and finally welded into place.

Top it all off with a UPS delivery of the 25' roll of insulation, 25' of door gasket, and latches for both doors. I hope the hinges aren't far behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #34
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Welds are looking good! I can't wait to make some time and try that welder out, I will have to use a MIG on the whole hog cooker that I am planning for next winter.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #35
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Wasn't happy with my welds tonight. Was some tricky spots welding the edges of two sheets together and had to keep adjusting the power to keep from burning through. But I got it done and it won't look half bad once finished.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:21 AM   #36
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm enjoying your build

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #37
JEC
Found some matches.

Great build, can't wait to see it finished, I even turned on Inventor today and got round to having a go at finishing my design off, I'm going for a fully folded cook chamber with built in water pan that I will have made by someone else but hope to do the rest myself
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #38
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Looking good so far Looking forward to watching your progress
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #39
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
Cleaning is always good, I would only use abrasives and stay away from chemicals. Brake cleaner is a popular thing to use among gearheads to clean grease and grime from metal but if heated produces deadly gasses.
If you need it really clean, after you use flap disk on it you can either wipe it down with acetone (wife's nail polish remover, without her knowing it of course) or rubbing alcohol, which I use pretty often especially if I'm going to TRY to tig weld... But if I'm stickwelding or wire welding I just apply a flap disk to it breifly and then brush dust off with a clean wire brush... You can get it "too" clean for stick welding sometimes and you will know it if you do cause daggum rods will start to stick on you when you strike your arc like CRAZZZZZZY and cause you to use strong adjectives.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #40
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys. I got over there again last night and got the two interior side walls cut and welded into place. Forgot the camera again so no pictures, not that there is much to look at. Funny how you go at it for 4 hours or so, come out drenched in sweat with a sore back because you worked your arse off and then you look and all you got done were two panels that don't look like much. Can get frustrating if you let it. On the plus side each panel was 5'x2' in size so there was about 28 feet of welding involved so it wasn't a small task by any means.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #41
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

4 hours at a time is about what I did! For me that is about the right amount of time, because it's long enough to get something done but not so long that you get tired of what you are doing.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #42
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Doors are built! Got both the top and the bottom door welded together tonight. They are still rough and need grinding but the insulation is in and both the interior and exterior panels are completely attached.

Might have to order some different hinges, not sure if the 120's I got from Cottco will be big enough with the 3/4" bulb fiberglass door seal I got. Should find out soon though as I don't have much left. Need to put the outer skins on yet, rails, build the firebox, water box and the racks and we should be ready to smoke.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #43
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

It's coming along!

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 02-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #44
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Really lookin good....all of us 'build-heads' will be havin to find more builds to follow soon!
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #45
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Looking good so far

Tags
backwoods, build, clone, stumps, Superior