Smoked Whisky

Ok, what's a good smoked scotch? Not trying to sound nasty. If I can save a few bucks, I'm all about that!!

Matt

Ok, what's a good smoked scotch? Not trying to sound nasty. If I can save a few bucks, I'm all about that!!

Matt
If you want a smokey scotch you want an islay and in my opinion there are no bargains. Several are great (give me some caol ila, lagavulin, of laphroig anyday) but you're not finding any bargains.

Interesting idea in theory, but it seems a little silly to me. You could get the same effect by adding a few drops of liquid smoke to the bottle. All they do to produce it is pass smoke through water and filter out the ashes/tar (I'm pretty sure that's all they do, don't quote me though). Exposing perfectly good booze to dry, hot air will cause a lot of the stuff you want to evaporate.

Although this does give me ideas... smoked garnishes like cherries or olives might be interesting for a manhattan or whatever else you like.

If I were to ever try this, I think smoked vodka with some smoked peppers would make a mean bloody mary. I think I'm gonna do this the next time I bbq... smoked peppers for a bloody maria... makin me thirsty just thinking about it. :becky: :crazy:

Great idea!

20110522-15237-Chicago%20-SmokedBottle2.jpg

20110522-15237-Chicago-SmokedBottle.jpg

20110516-15237%20-%20Chicago%20-%20SmokedManhattan.jpg

If you want a smokey scotch you want an islay and in my opinion there are no bargains. Several are great (give me some caol ila, lagavulin, of laphroig anyday) but you're not finding any bargains.

Three of my favorites:thumb: Try Laphroig Quarter Cask for an even more prominent smoke experience. I'd rather share one bottle of fine whiskey than drink 4 bottles of bargain whiskey but that's like just my opinion...

I don't know how I came across this thread, but those of you that are into scotch whisky, have you seen the tasting group stuff?

For a cheap way to add some Islay peat flavor, try Black Bottle, a blend that contains lots of Islay malts, with a lower level of grain alcohol.

gimmick to sell more booze :)

most lures are designed for the fisherman to buy....

Hello,

This is my first post, and I know I am late to the party. But it is a topic close to my heart.

First up, for the purposes of full disclosure I love heavily peated scotch; Octomore Comus is my absolute favourite. But I also love American whiskey, so why not add a bit of smoke.

Recently I have played with smoking a few Bourbons. My current favourite is mesquite and pecan smoke. Takes about a minute using a smoke gun and cream whipper, with no loss of spirit and adds massive of intense smoke flavour. The result is great in cocktails.

I don't use this method, but worth a watch: http://youtu.be/7wQ5JhbsF-g

I get that it is not for the purist, and I won't be smoking my van winkle 15 anytime soon, but fun to play with flavour.

Definitely a gimmick to generate more money.

And I don't drink much, but I'm not really a fan of smoked whiskey. It's not like que. The smokeyness also imparts a lot of bitterness. I'll take some American charred barrels over smoked scotch malt any day.

And yeah, Makers mark is definitely overrated, but the makers 46 is a pretty good improvement. Costco sells it for only a few bucks more than regular makers goes for.

I like the Octomores for the most part, though 4.2 wasn't as good as 4.1. I actually prefer Ardbeg Supernova, though.

My brother swears by Pappy Van Winkle, and, while it is just corn whiskey, the 15 year old is good, but it goes downhill as it gets older, in my opinion. The Van Winkle rye is better, I think, but I like rye over bourbon.

I'm now at 32 scotch varieties at home, and hoping to keep growin. Master of Malt now ships to the US!

Maker's Mark is one of the few "decent" whiskeys I've had that I just cannot drink. It comes off harsh and just unappealing compared to most. I realize I'm probably in a very small minority on this one. Still, give my Irish whiskey or something like Knob Creek over MM any day!

I do like scotch and can see the appeal of adding more smoke flavor, but I guess my inclination would be to reach for a bottle of something smokier to begin with. Seems like they are really trying to capitalize on the novelty/gimmick here.

We know good bourbon in KY. While i like Makers you might want to try Russels Reserve by Wild Turkey 10 year aged. I think if I wanted to add a smoke flavor I would try smoking my KY limestone springwater and freezing it into small ice cubes and pour my bourbon over that.

My brother swears by Pappy Van Winkle, and, while it is just corn whiskey, the 15 year old is good, but it goes downhill as it gets older, in my opinion. The Van Winkle rye is better, I think, but I like rye over bourbon.

It is absolutely not corn whiskey. There is a type of whiskey called corn whiskey, but its not pappy. Although pappy does use corn in it, there is also wheat and barley, and the barrels used are brand new unused white oak for every barrel as opposed to used barrels for corn whiskey. They are very different.

And the rye is also really good, but even harder to find than the 20 year.

I am certainly no historian, but I believe whiskey was derived from Scotch Whiskey. If you are from Scotland or the area, it is just called Whiskey. And there is a vast variety of flavors available. Astonishing actually that they have so many makers of Whiskey available in such a small area. I would consider a trip to England just to tour the Whiskey makers....

It is absolutely not corn whiskey. There is a type of whiskey called corn whiskey, but its not pappy. Although pappy does use corn in it, there is also wheat and barley, and the barrels used are brand new unused white oak for every barrel as opposed to used barrels for corn whiskey. They are very different.

And the rye is also really good, but even harder to find than the 20 year.

I've had all ages offered in the Pappy Van Winkles... and I'm joking a bit when I call it corn whiskey, but corn is definitely there. It's good bourbon, but still bourbon, which has a fairly narrow range of flavors, in my opinion. My brother's bar in Chicago is well-known for bourbons, and I've had a decent range of them. Scotch has a much wider variety in flavors overall, in my opinion, and I prefer the absence of the corn sweetness. I'm not saying I don't like bourbon, just that I prefer whisky over whiskey.

Back