MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

Default Ordered my 22.5" WSM today. Should I get a Guru?

I ordered my 22.5" WSM today and I am wondering if I should I get a DigiQ DX? I plan to do my butts and briskets in it for comps and any catering gigs. I know that the wsm's are pretty solid but with the cold temps of WI winters and "hot/humid" summers I wouldn't mind a little help with controlling temps.
Thanks for all of your help!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I'm a Guru fan. With a WSM, it may not be necessary, but it definitely will make your job easier and give you peace of mind that your temps will stay consistent, especially for competitions!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Once you use it a few times and get it all sealed in, I find that the WSM is very good with temperature management - to the point of being boring. The main issue of a long cook is running low or even running out of charcoal in colder weather.

Why not try it out for a while before you pull the trigger on a temp controller?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Overnight a Guru is invaluable. I have one for my WSM and it is amazing.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
OneHump
is one Smokin' Farker

Get the Guru for sure! Your cooks will turn out better with a more consistent fire and you'll be able to relax.
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

Yes guru or stoker
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I have both a Large BGE and a Cajun Bandit. Both of those can be dialed in and run without any draft control. I still use my Stoker with both of them, because it's like a security policy. I just don't have to worry (as much) about errors, because they just work.

When I cook at a comp, I use my Stoker with my big pit and find the abillity to maintain constant temp and sleep very helpful. I would recommend one or the other. You didn't ask, but as for which, I think it depends on your needs. The guys at DigiQ are great people who put out a solid product. Deserved or not, they seem to have a more loyal following. The folks at Rock's BBQ also do alright by me. I prefer their product because of the addressable probes and blowers, and the network interface. I have personally never had an issue with their support.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I use the 5cfm blower for my CB, and it works fine. That being said, I would recommend the 10CFM blower if you can afford it.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

I have two Guru's. I only bought the second one for a backup since I use them for both comp and catering, but I really like the newer DigiQ DX; love that LED readout. I know Stoker makes a great product, but I love my Guru's, and I would say you will not be sorry for buying one. Both Stoker and Guru make great draft control systems, so you can't go wrong with either one. I have the 10CFM blowers on both , which I highly recommend.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

+10 on the Guru's. DigiQ DX2 on mine and works like a champ. Never mind overnight cooking, it's great in cold weather cooking, when its -10 during the day!
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

I have the iQue 110 similar to a guru just not as much money.

http://store.pitmasteriq.com/iq110.html

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
D0ughB0y
Take a breath!

I haven't used the GURU or smoker, but with my 22.5 WSM I've never felt the need to have one.

Overnight cooks? No problem. Like someone said above, it is almost boring once you dial it in.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

I have a Guru and a Stoker and I would recommend either of them, depending on your needs.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for all you help! I will be getting one within the month! Do any of you guys with the guru or stoker use a wireless probe (Maverick ET-732) as well? Just for the convienience of not having to go physically go look at the guru/stoker... would this be a lazy mod??

Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

Stoker you don't need it as you can remotely monitor, DigiQ you would need it if you want to monitor the temp. Or you can go all out and get a CyberQ which can be setup to monitor/control remotely albeit you need a wireless USB adapter.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

not needed in my experience. fuel burning out or wind will get you.
you can work around the wind in many ways. you cannot work around running out of fuel, assuming you have chosen a solid fuel; for example I can get an easy 10 out of a well packed ring of wicked good weekend warrior on my 18" WSM. never had a need, and i do compete with my WSM. I am getting a BWS extended party soon, and will likely re-evaluate for that smoker. but not needed for the wsm. that thing locks and cocks.

Tags
Guru, WSM 22