Louisiana Grill Question

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For those of you who have a Louisiana Grill, I'm having an issue I wanted to see if any of you have experienced. Yesterday when I was smoking briskets, the fire pots went out three separate times. When I moved everything out and got down to the firepots I saw that the pellets were backed up and quite a bit of ash was in the fire pot.
Anybody have this happen to them? Any suggestions on how to correct this other then "Buy this kind of smoker....) :rolleyes:
Thanks for your help in advance!

I have no advice Bossman, but thanks for asking. I'm considering a CS 570.

For those of you who have a Louisiana Grill, I'm having an issue I wanted to see if any of you have experienced. Yesterday when I was smoking briskets, the fire pots went out three separate times. When I moved everything out and got down to the firepots I saw that the pellets were backed up and quite a bit of ash was in the fire pot.
Anybody have this happen to them? Any suggestions on how to correct this other then "Buy this kind of smoker....) :rolleyes:
Thanks for your help in advance!

Forget that pellet pooper and get a Sumps clone!!! :p:p

Really...Did you check your fan? Sounds like it is not blowing proper.
maybe a short somewhere?

Michael

Fan is working fine, everything checks out fine, just doesnt make sense

Maybe a bad batch of pellets? did they get wet? any moisture inside the auger area?

I had to clean out the pot every time I used it or it would not run right.I also found that if I did not heat it up enough in the start up that it did not work as well,so I run it wide open till it reached 600 then dialed it in.I was talking with the boy's at my bbq shop and one of them was having trouble with his auger jamming with swelled up pellets,we thought it might be a bad bag of pellets.

The pellet pot has to be all the way up against the wall of the cooker, or the fan air can blow around it, instead of through it....

Was the tall lip on the pot behind the ramp, or in front of it. It needs to be behind the ramp, or pellets can sit on the ramp, and not drop...

Finally, depending on the age of the unit, if it is an original, and had a short shaft on the paddle wheel motor, it could be that your paddle wheel is stripped out, and needs to be replaced.

thats about all i can come up with...

In addition to what Andy listed above, I have two other thoughts:

- what brand of pellets are you using? we had the problem you are describing when we were burning branch creek

- do you have any of the exhaust holes plugged up? we were doing that to the wholes opposite the pot to help even temps across the smoke chamber but think that was cutting down on draft to blow the ash out of the pot

I have a CS680 and have found that there are definite differences in ash based on pellets being used. On slow burns, I tend to mix in a lot more oak pellets (cheaper), but they definitely generate more ash, which fills the pot quicker. This can casue the fire to extinguish. A bigger problem that I am having deals with temperature variances from one end of the grill to the other!! At a setting of 280, I have a 40 degree variance, with higher temps occuring at the right end of the grill.

The pellets I was using were BBQer Delight Mesquite and they aren't damp. The ramp is behind the lip and it is a an original with the paddle wheel. On one side I had to replace a paddle, on the other I haven't had to yet. I'm going to vacuum it out again tomorrow and see what happens, just weird, used it all competition season and never had this issue.

Like Andy said, you must have the air going through the burn screen so it can evacuate the burned pellets so check the burn pot / screen and make sure it is all the way to the left as you're facing the unit.

Insufficient airflow will cause the burn pot to fill up with ash even using the cleanest burning pellets. Take the 6 screws out of the end panel that has the supply fan and pull the entire panel off. GO SLOW as there may not be a lot of slack in the wires that supply the fan motor. (Hopefully you've unplugged the unit by now.) The wires connecting the fan motor are spade terminals and they can be easily lifted off thus making the end panel completely unattached.

What you are looking for is to make sure the wires are bundled up out of the way. The fan needs a straight shot to be able to blow enough air into the burn pot. If your wires are near the bottom of the control cabinet, get some wire or zip ties and and suspend them up and out of the way.

If all of the vent holes are wide open, try propping the lid open an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. (I've just clipped a wooden clothespin to the bottom left corner of the lid when I wanted to relieve some heat (and airflow). I too had trouble with branch creek pellets in my original CS570 factory condtion. With the wires up out of the way and one EXTRA vent hole, even Branch Creek pellets will burn fine and blow the ash out of the pot. You will go through a few more pellets with increased airflow but your combustion problems should go away.

Good luck!!

Attachments

• CS5701.jpg
    CS5701.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 144
If you use the hopper extension, I am betting it is the paddle wheel stripping out. That weight causes the plastic core to crack or strip on the added weight of pellets in the hopper...

Your location says Colorado. What is your elevation? You may have an air density problem.

Like Andy said, you must have the air going through the burn screen so it can evacuate the burned pellets so check the burn pot / screen and make sure it is all the way to the left as you're facing the unit.

Insufficient airflow will cause the burn pot to fill up with ash even using the cleanest burning pellets. Take the 6 screws out of the end panel that has the supply fan and pull the entire panel off. GO SLOW as there may not be a lot of slack in the wires that supply the fan motor. (Hopefully you've unplugged the unit by now.) The wires connecting the fan motor are spade terminals and they can be easily lifted off thus making the end panel completely unattached.

What you are looking for is to make sure the wires are bundled up out of the way. The fan needs a straight shot to be able to blow enough air into the burn pot. If your wires are near the bottom of the control cabinet, get some wire or zip ties and and suspend them up and out of the way.

If all of the vent holes are wide open, try propping the lid open an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. (I've just clipped a wooden clothespin to the bottom left corner of the lid when I wanted to relieve some heat (and airflow). I too had trouble with branch creek pellets in my original CS570 factory condtion. With the wires up out of the way and one EXTRA vent hole, even Branch Creek pellets will burn fine and blow the ash out of the pot. You will go through a few more pellets with increased airflow but your combustion problems should go away.

Good luck!!

Dano, when you say extra vent hole. Do you mean propping the lid open with the clothespin or have you drilled an extra hole in the cooking chamber? I have thought of drilling an extra hole or two, on the end next to the pellet hopper. Would it make sense to drill them to the right side(when looking directly the fan end) of the pellet hopper to help even out the air flow and heating? I believe the back cooks hotter than the front due air flowing to the exhaust holes on the back.

Howdy DMDon,

I actually have drilled extra holes next to the control enclosure on the front and back side. The smoke from the ones in front can be annoying at times. I actually closed the front hole some time ago because of the smoke.

Currently, I've gone overboard with a motorized exhaust vent along with a fan speed control in an attempt to reduce pellet consumption and increase smoke flavor. It's a little rough because I was just using spare parts but we'll see how it goes. I've closed off all but one of the vent holes and when the stack damper is closed, the fan throttles back to about half speed. The jury is still out as I've just completed this mod so more to follow.

Attachments

• cs570 damper.jpg
    cs570 damper.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 57
  • cs570 stack.jpg
    cs570 stack.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 56
johnsom14

I am having a similar problem. Why is there so much ash left in my burn plate and grill?

Back