MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
WoodBBQ
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Wood
Default Insulated Vertical Cabinet Smoker Opinions

Hey Everyone. Thanks for allowing me to join such a great site. I'm new to the BBQ smoking game. I would like to get your opinions and thoughts on the 3 list of 3, but opinion to other smoker considerations (advantages/ disadvantages, direct flow vs reverse flow and options to consider. Based on my research, they are all solid smokers, made by stand-up reputable guys and fairly close in price. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

1) Ironside Smoker - Slugger
2) LSG - Large
3) Cascade Smokers - The Continental

Side note: I've currently been on Ironside's waitlist for about 3-4 months.
WoodBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
piddlin
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Not on your list, but you may want to check out Humphreys. They seem to be well thought of on here.
piddlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

I compete on an Assassin 28. That thing is built like a tank and hold temperature really well. When I open the door to do what I need to do it covers in about 5 minutes or less most of the time.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

I've had both direct flow and reverse flow and in my opinion the reverse flow holds much more consistent temperatures top to bottom and has been more fuel efficient. Presently I'm cooking on a cooker from Cascade Smokers and couldn't be happier in fact so much I'm gearing up to order another one.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
nweave2614
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Nick

I just bought a cabinet style smoker and I went with the LSG Mini, I had seriously considered the ironside slugger since I wanted to be able to cook on wood only but after reading some people do a 70/30 and even up to a 60/40 split on their LSG's I figured I could get a good smoke flavor and LSG had some features that I really liked.

I have cooked on mine 3 times now and every time it has not disappointed, the food has been excellent. I run a fireboard so the temp control is easy for me, it will fluctuate in about a 15 degree band as the fan kicks on and off.

The biggest cook I did was on the 4th of July I loaded the mini with the following.

6 racks of spares
10 lb pork shouder
14 lb brisket
5 lb pork belly burnt ends
2 fatties

It was the most meat I had ever cooked at once and the Mini ran like a champ all day.

I ordered mine with all of the extra racks and rails and I will say that my only complaint at this point is that I cannot get a full depth pan in between each rack with it fully loaded, they are about a quarter inch to close together, I have to jam the pan in there to make it fit. I have not been able to find full size pans that are like medium depth but when I do it will be perfect.
nweave2614 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
WoodBBQ
Got Wood.

Thanks for all the responses. Very much appreciated.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #7
WoodBBQ
Got Wood.

luv2smoke - which unit are you gearing up to buy from Cascade? Any particular options you intend to include on the unit?

Old 07-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
WoodBBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nweave2614 View Post
I just bought a cabinet style smoker and I went with the LSG Mini, I had seriously considered the ironside slugger since I wanted to be able to cook on wood only but after reading some people do a 70/30 and even up to a 60/40 split on their LSG's I figured I could get a good smoke flavor and LSG had some features that I really liked.

I have cooked on mine 3 times now and every time it has not disappointed, the food has been excellent. I run a fireboard so the temp control is easy for me, it will fluctuate in about a 15 degree band as the fan kicks on and off.

The biggest cook I did was on the 4th of July I loaded the mini with the following.

6 racks of spares
10 lb pork shouder
14 lb brisket
2 fatties

It was the most meat I had ever cooked at once and the Mini ran like a champ all day.

I ordered mine with all of the extra racks and rails and I will say that my only complaint at this point is that I cannot get a full depth pan in between each rack with it fully loaded, they are about a quarter inch to close together, I have to jam the pan in there to make it fit. I have not been able to find full size pans that are like medium depth but when I do it will be perfect.
Do you mind telling which options you like on the LSG that aren't on the Ironside? I as well mainly considered Ironside for the all wood type cooks, but sounds like it's not completely necessary seeing you've had some excellent cooks. Thanks for sharing the one item re: full pans.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Depends on what YOU want/expect from a vertical.
I'd recommend you buy one that has a wider door and grates with less depth.
Narrow but longer grates you must pull out much further to baste/turn/flip etc.
I know Pete/Ironside joined here and with the help from here built quite nice units.
LSG has a good following here.
The insulated reverse flow cabinet I purchased, to me was a giant waste of my time and money. There was nothing! I liked about it. The worst uneven cooker I have ever owned or used.
I modified my cabinet to non-insulated direct flow. I am able to smoke using pure wood, coal/wood chunks or burn pure wood and adjust my grates to what ever height required. Santa maria type grilling. I have no mounted heat plate deflector. Wide open from firebox to the exhaust when required.
You have to decide what YOUR wants/requirements are. Before laying our your $$$.
If you are unsure. There are used vertical smokers up for sale quite often here.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Might save you some $$$.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1073.jpg (47.4 KB, 785 views)
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #10
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by nweave2614 View Post

6 racks of spares
10 lb pork shouder
14 lb brisket
2 fatties

I thought each rack was either 3" or 3.5" apart? LSG basically built the exact smoker I wanted but they couldn't build at the time I wanted. It even has the wide grates vs what Humphrey's has and that's why I stay away from Humphrey's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
nweave2614
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBBQ View Post
Do you mind telling which options you like on the LSG that aren't on the Ironside? I as well mainly considered Ironside for the all wood type cooks, but sounds like it's not completely necessary seeing you've had some excellent cooks. Thanks for sharing the one item re: full pans.
This is from memory but I really liked the following features on the LSG that I thought were a design improvement over the ironside

1. Welded in water pan with fill port standard
2. Slam latches standard
3. Door seal is oven grade and easily replaceable (not glued down)
4. Fire grate on ironside is mainly expanded metal all around, will wear out faster
5. This is just preference, but I feel like powder coat on these cookers is not the best solution over high heat paint. Where the powder coat ends before the cook chamber is an opportunity for it to start peeling back/bubbling

I know the slugger is slightly larger than the mini but its base price is also 455 dollars more so that had a little bit of an impact on me since I knew I would have to ship the cooker.
nweave2614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #12
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBBQ View Post
luv2smoke - which unit are you gearing up to buy from Cascade? Any particular options you intend to include on the unit?
I've got the "Whole Hog" now. I'm looking seriously at the "Continental " as well as the "Que Deville ". The cookers come pretty loaded in standard form and what I like is the fact that they will hold full size hotel pans in the rack guides in place of the racks. I suppose if I went with the Que Deville" I'd probably go with the optional cart but other than that I can't think of anything else?

Old 07-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #13
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2smoke View Post
I like is the fact that they will hold full size hotel pans in the rack guides in place of the racks.
How does that work? You only have air flow at the back side and the front side of the pan/smoker. No ends airflow?
Just curious, thanks.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #14
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

I ordered an LSG Large IVS. I went down to Lonestar Grillz and looked at one first and was beyond impressed with the construction quality.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #15
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
How does that work? You only have air flow at the back side and the front side of the pan/smoker. No ends airflow?
Just curious, thanks.
It works fantastic. I have a friend that has the "Que Deville" and another that has the "Competitor " both from Cascade Smokers they cook in pans all the time and the end result is superb.