MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #16
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

I've been getting a lot of scams that involve "Want a catering for an uncle because they live out of town
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2018, 03:42 AM   #17
SmoothBoarBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I had almost the exact same scenario happen when I first opened my company. Got a text (saying he was hearing impaired and only wanted to communicate via text) that he wanted roughly $2k of food. Got a quote together and then he sent me a text saying, "Can you do me a favor?" I asked what it was and he wanted to charge an extra $1500 or something like that on the credit card, and have me give that to the guy picking up the food. Some elaborate situation where he was not only hearing impaired but also couldn't walk, so he used a car service for everything. But, of course, the car service didn't accept credit cards so he wanted me to pay the guy picking up all the food in cash with this extra $1500. The jerk even texted me the credit card details...TEXT, no security at all.

I was pretty embarrassed that it went as far as it did before I knew what was going on...red flags were waving and I saw them, but was very excited for a solid bit of business. I never charged the card as by that time I knew something was off, and I also never agreed to pay the "driver" in cash. The guy even had a sob story about this party for his wife who was about to go to hospice...just a total scheme.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:45 AM   #18
SmoothBoarBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
"well you were talking dirty to me"
Sounds similar to a Roy D. Mercer call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYRhrk4lbG4
Old 12-22-2018, 07:09 AM   #19
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

These are the people who need to be reported to the police. Agree with everything, do nothing, give the police the details. Nothing will be done to stop them if we don't participate.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #20
Jousting Pigs
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Big John

My wife's architecture firm had a similar scam attempt on them. Email from overseas looking to build a house in the area, not uncommon for them to have out of town or overseas clients. Spent a few days getting details and working up a proposal. The potential "client" then asked to pay via credit card and to send extra so they could pay the surveyor. The "client" was not so politely told to eff-off.

I told her next time they need to get the card info so it can be reported stolen.
Jousting Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #21
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
These are the people who need to be reported to the police. Agree with everything, do nothing, give the police the details. Nothing will be done to stop them if we don't participate.
Yeah, that's where I messed up. I was excited for the job, then suspicious and just wanted to get away from the whole deal. I'll be ready for them next time.
medic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->