MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #196
OldFrenchy
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hi- I am new to the forum, although I joined a while back. I have just purchased the Louisiana Grills LG-900, with a side smoke cabinet, at Costco. I am new to pellet grills, but have grilled with wood and charcoal for decades. The lure of smoked meats and fish (and cheese, apparently) brought me over to the dark side.
So far I have had great success just grilling with the beast, but aim to get into cold smoking, perhaps a salmon to start. The smoker claims to operate at a low of 100 degrees.
Does anyone have an opinion on best to do it?
OldFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #197
Rib Rub
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I am curious for MAK grill owners. How long did you season the new grill for? I think I did a couple of hours with my Camp Chef. My MAK 2 star is being delivered today and would love to do some BBQ chicken tonight.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #198
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
I am curious for MAK grill owners. How long did you season the new grill for? I think I did a couple of hours with my Camp Chef. My MAK 2 star is being delivered today and would love to do some BBQ chicken tonight.

I ran mine at 400 for maybe 30-40 mins. It was good to go...

Old 06-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #199
jpeisen
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I have a Lumber Jack dealer in the area $11 for a 20# bag so that's what I'll be rolling with.
I ended up buying Lumber Jack pellets from Dick's Sporting Goods. They offered free shipping on orders over $50, so i bought 3 bags of competition blend and one of pure hickory (that was all they would allow me to buy of the hickory) to get the free shipping. Once I get my hands on a decent piece of meat for a long cook, I'll be giving it a try.

Once I figure out where to find stuff in this "tahn", I hope to be doing more cooking. Well, if the rain ever goes away...

-J

Old 06-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #200
jermoQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
WOW, that guy is a pretty big nut job! Makes me wonder how he can call himself a bbqer I would besurprised if he has been bbqing 10 or 11 years. Nobody could agree with him about that strong of a smoke flavor!??

If I was a cow
being lead to the slaughterhouse
I would try to kiss you one last time
before my lips were mulched into wieners.
jermoQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #201
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
I always just follow the seasoning instructions when I buy a new smoker — I figure the manufacturer knows best. I think for my 1-star it was 30 min at 450, but it might be different for the 2-star because it’s made from different materials.

Good luck and enjoy!
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #202
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
And he's definitely not burping smoke for a week.. look how many have called him out. Guy is wacked.. Next..
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #203
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
WOW, that guy is a pretty big nut job! Makes me wonder how he can call himself a bbqer I would besurprised if he has been bbqing 10 or 11 years. Nobody could agree with him about that strong of a smoke flavor!??

Exactly.. I like the smoke my stick burner puts out. Definitely more than my pellet grill with the smoke tube, but I don't burp smoke at all.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #204
jermoQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
Exactly.. I like the smoke my stick burner puts out. Definitely more than my pellet grill with the smoke tube, but I don't burp smoke at all.
When I was first learning the craft, I thought that the food was supposed to taste like grandpa's because we did not eat out at BBQ places. I didn't know better. after a few bitter cooks, I started asking more experienced people, and later, the Brethren. Now I still enjoy smoke flavor, and stronger is okay too. But as I opt to please my wife (she has told me "too smokey" enough times to make me redo things) and other family members, and please my own taste, I am backing off on smoke, and adding other flavors, to get it right. I like my pellet cooker, and have found out how to get maximum smoke for my taste off of it.

If I was a cow

Old 06-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #205
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

http://www.gildalefarms.ca

Too good to be true? 5 bucks for 40lbs? Not sure if the premium blend is any good. But they are a 30 minute drive.
SmokePigTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #206
jermoQ
is Blowin Smoke!

"The premium fuel pellets are made exclusively from kiln dried sawdust containing a mixture of oak, maple, cherry, and walnut. This material source ensures that there is no bark in the pellets to minimize the ash content and reduces pellet stove maintenance and cleaning."

This is the description for their Premium pellets. It doesnt say grilling, or cooking, but i did see a picture somewhere of what looked like a pellet grill. That is an inexpensive price. Maybe call/email the company and ask specifically if they are made for grilling. You dont want regular pellet stove pellets for grilling

If I was a cow

Old 06-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #207
Rib Rub
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokePigTails View Post
http://www.gildalefarms.ca

Too good to be true? 5 bucks for 40lbs? Not sure if the premium blend is any good. But they are a 30 minute drive.
They appear to be pellet stove pellets, not food grade. I would suggest not using them LOL

Old 06-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #208
Rib Rub
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
"The premium fuel pellets are made exclusively from kiln dried sawdust containing a mixture of oak, maple, cherry, and walnut. This material source ensures that there is no bark in the pellets to minimize the ash content and reduces pellet stove maintenance and cleaning."

This is the description for their Premium pellets. It doesnt say grilling, or cooking, but i did see a picture somewhere of what looked like a pellet grill. That is an inexpensive price. Maybe call/email the company and ask specifically if they are made for grilling. You dont want regular pellet stove pellets for grilling
I seen the pellet grill also, but nothing says (food grade) I did read before not use these pellets in a grill. Binders and such might come into
play???

Well my MAK 2 star came today and I was chugging along slapping it together and ran into a big problem. I need another person to help lift the grill onto the cart LOL. I was scoping the neighborhood and nobody was home. Daughter came and went before I could get her, wife is out. There were a couple of landscaping guys across the street and I was tempted to ask but figured I better not bug them. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Initial thoughts are that the grill is a tank. Most know that, but pictures do not do this thing justice. The amazing thing is the lid to the grill is solid, very heavy, but smooth as silk opening and closing. But yeah, looking over the grill it is the real deal, you see where your money is going. The packaging is even special. Little surprises all around opening it up from the tools to put it together, the craftsmanship, the nuts and bolts and the weight of the direct and indirect flamezone inserts. I mean I have not even turned it on yet and I am impressed. Doing a Brisket this weekend on it, nervous about that as I paid $60 bucks for the Brisket so going to be a costly major fail if I blow it LOL. But that is why I bought this grill, so I am pretty confident it will turn out.

Last edited by Rib Rub; 06-13-2018 at 07:25 PM..
Rib Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #209
Shagbark
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

This is interesting, one of the more popular brands on the market (Lumber Jack) claims that the bark contains more smoke flavor than the wood itself.

http://bbqlumberjack.com/our-pellets/

I’ve used Lumber Jack but can’t say they are smokier than BBQr’s Delight, which I am currently using due to availability.
Shagbark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #210
Rib Rub
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark View Post
This is interesting, one of the more popular brands on the market (Lumber Jack) claims that the bark contains more smoke flavor than the wood itself.

http://bbqlumberjack.com/our-pellets/

I’ve used Lumber Jack but can’t say they are smokier than BBQr’s Delight, which I am currently using due to availability.
I got a bag of Bear Mountain with the MAK grill today, never heard of Bear Mountain before? I also got 2 bags of BBQ’rs delight as a package deal with it also. Pretty stoked about these new brands. I have only been using Traeger and B&B Pellets, so looking forward to these new brands.