MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #1591
Smoking Cajun
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnbiker View Post
How many of you use a cheap pellet brand (Pit Boss Competition Blend is $.375/lb. around here) for heat and a more expensive brand (Lumberjack 100% Hickory is $.90/lb.) in a smoke tube for flavor? This is what I'm thinking about doing for my next rib/butt/brisket cook. My mind is out of control right now and these questions just pop in.
I find that I got wider temp swings with Pit Boss pellets, but that could be my pellet grill. I don't have a DB. I would try it, and see if it affects your grill.

I don't use a tube in my pellet grill, so I can't comment on that part.

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #1592
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Cajun View Post
I find that I got wider temp swings with Pit Boss pellets, but that could be my pellet grill. I don't have a DB. I would try it, and see if it affects your grill.

I don't use a tube in my pellet grill, so I can't comment on that part.
Do people that use pellet tubes get nasty smoke on their food? It just seems like a heavy wood smolder.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #1593
Smoking Cajun
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
Do people that use pellet tubes get nasty smoke on their food? It just seems like a heavy wood smolder.
I use them on my gasser mixed with wood chips. It normally keeps a flame while I am doing it, Plus the gasser has a very high natural air flow.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #1594
Bacchus2b
is one Smokin' Farker

I bought a 12" Amazin Tube to use for cold smoking in my FEC-100. The trick is to light it with a propane burner and let it go for about ten minutes before blowing out the flame at which point a 12" tube will smoke for about six hours.

After cold smoking bacon for six hours with Apple Pellets, I fired up my FEC-100 at 200 degrees for another two to three hours to get some color on my pork belly's without "cooking" the meat all the way through.

I also used the smoke tube occasionally with my Webber Gasser for quick smoke flavor on steaks, but since I bought my PK Original Grill I rarely use my Webber Gasser!

No reason to use the smoking tube with my FEC-100 on ribs, brisket, etc. as I get more than enough smoke without a tube.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #1595
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnbiker View Post
How many of you use a cheap pellet brand (Pit Boss Competition Blend is $.375/lb. around here) for heat and a more expensive brand (Lumberjack 100% Hickory is $.90/lb.) in a smoke tube for flavor? This is what I'm thinking about doing for my next rib/butt/brisket cook. My mind is out of control right now and these questions just pop in.
I get great results with pit boss comp blend. I'd never use a smoke tube unless I felt the need to add creosote flavor to my food. (this is my opinion only, please don't kill me!)

Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #1596
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
I get great results with pit boss comp blend. I'd never use a smoke tube unless I felt the need to add creosote flavor to my food. (this is my opinion only, please don't kill me!)
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it is wrong. I have 3 different sizes of pellet tubes/trays. I use them for cold smoking, and adding additional smoke during some cooks. Never once got a creosote taste, or any bad smoke flavor at all.
Joshw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #1597
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
I agree but my opinion is not based on any research or facts. It's just in my head that thick white smoke isn't good. Crazy i know!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #1598
WatchManUSA
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : WatchManUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
I suppose the quality of the smoke is based partly on the quality of the pellets. I use an A-maze-n tube and my experience is there is nothing ‘nasty’ about them. I use it my pellet smoker and Weber gasser.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #1599
Deebo
Full Fledged Farker

I think I'm about to go ahead a join the pellet pooper club. The ys640 is looking mighty good. Are there still paint issues with it? I'd like to find a decent used one so I'm hoping I'm not setting myself up for disappointment with the paint quality.
Weber Performer w/ Slow-n-Sear
Maverick ET-733
Maverick XR-50
Blue Superfast Thermapen
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #1600
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

Default The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I think I'm about to go ahead a join the pellet pooper club. The ys640 is looking mighty good. Are there still paint issues with it? I'd like to find a decent used one so I'm hoping I'm not setting myself up for disappointment with the paint quality.

Mine rusted pretty badly on the front left in under a year...it drove me crazy honestly. You need to go into it expecting to sand and paint periodically IMO. Great cooker otherwise

This was less than a year and covered most times

Last edited by gtsum; 01-11-2019 at 02:33 PM..
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #1601
Deebo
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, it rusted within a year?? For the amount of money you're paying, you wouldn't expect to have to deal with that within a year!
Weber Performer w/ Slow-n-Sear
Maverick ET-733
Maverick XR-50
Blue Superfast Thermapen
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #1602
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Wow, it rusted within a year?? For the amount of money you're paying, you wouldn't expect to have to deal with that within a year!

Unfortunately that seems to be a pretty common complaint with the Yoders. Sweet pellet grills, but that paint would drive me bonkers.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #1603
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Yes. I am fairly sure it is because I did a lot of reverse searing on it...so it wasnt just used as a smoker...reverse searing at 450 with grill grates (worked very well), but the heat from repeated grilling was the culprit I believe. I sanded it up and painted it when I sold it...but it bothered me to no end to be honest with you
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #1604
retfr8flyr
On the road to being a farker

Yoder doesn't powder coat their grills, just paints them, as they think it's better for the owner to repaint rusting areas and have the grill look new again. That is a philosophy I completely disagree with. One of the many reasons I would not buy a Yoder.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #1605
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Love my ys640, but if touching up paint, is going to bother you, do not buy one.
Joshw is online now   Reply With Quote