MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 07-10-11
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Default IBCA advice, world food championship

I'm coming down to Dallas from Canada for the world food championships and we've only ever done PNWBA and KCBS so looking for some insight into IBCA. I know the turn in is pretty strict as far as layout and numbers go but anything beyond that would be helpful. I've heard that because it's gen-pop judging that you should be extra tender.

Also if there is anyone in the Dallas area that can hook up an international team with some gear that would be amazing. Thanks.
__________________
@kenthanson @devilmademeqit Devil made me Q it BBQ team
kenthanson is online now   Reply With Quote




Old 09-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
ModelMaker
Babbling Farker
 
ModelMaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-21-06
Location: Lake Ponderosa-Montezuma, IA
Default

It looks to me like your about to enter a fist fight with everybody else having clubs.
Your planning on crossing the USA to enter a contest that you don't know the ins and outs of without all the equipment needed. A very scary thought to me.
BUT, it surley can be accomplished with enough investigation and pre-planning, much like your doing here. And I hear everybody and their sister in Texas has extra BBQ smokers.
Good luck, we'll be watching.
Ed
__________________
Designer of a custom drum smoker
Customized Aussie gas passer
Turkey fryer
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge


And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 09-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker
 
Right on Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-21-14
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
It looks to me like your about to enter a fist fight with everybody else having clubs.
Your planning on crossing the USA to enter a contest that you don't know the ins and outs of without all the equipment needed. A very scary thought to me.
BUT, it surley can be accomplished with enough investigation and pre-planning, much like your doing here. And I hear everybody and their sister in Texas has extra BBQ smokers.
Good luck, we'll be watching.
Ed
While some of this may be true why be a downer?

I wished I lived in Texas and could help these folks out. Seems like it would be a great time.
__________________
Meatcraft BBQ - 18 WSM, 22 WSM, 2 X Auber controllers
Right on Q is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 09-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 07-10-11
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
It looks to me like your about to enter a fist fight with everybody else having clubs.
Your planning on crossing the USA to enter a contest that you don't know the ins and outs of without all the equipment needed. A very scary thought to me.
BUT, it surley can be accomplished with enough investigation and pre-planning, much like your doing here. And I hear everybody and their sister in Texas has extra BBQ smokers.
Good luck, we'll be watching.
Ed
We are a member of the Canadian bbq society and they purchase two golden tickets to the world food championships and the top team from the east and the west get invited to go. The top teams out west were going to the jack instead so the invite came to us. The main division for the wfc is there own EAT division but they make it a double and pair it with a Ibca so since we’re down there then why not take a shot. It would be to Cody prohibitive to drive down so we’ll fly and borrow what we can and just enjoy the experience, have fun, explore Dallas and meet lots of new people.
__________________
@kenthanson @devilmademeqit Devil made me Q it BBQ team
kenthanson is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 09-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
egorham
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 04-21-14
Location: Lafayette
Default

If you do a Google search for smoker rentals in Dallas you will see a number of places that rent them for about $100-$150/day. I would also try the party rental places since many of them rent smokers as well. The party rental places and some of the smoker rental companies will rent coolers, tables, tents and chairs. You can get a pretty good setup without breaking the bank if you are having trouble finding equipment to borrow.
egorham is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 07-10-11
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by egorham View Post
If you do a Google search for smoker rentals in Dallas you will see a number of places that rent them for about $100-$150/day. I would also try the party rental places since many of them rent smokers as well. The party rental places and some of the smoker rental companies will rent coolers, tables, tents and chairs. You can get a pretty good setup without breaking the bank if you are having trouble finding equipment to borrow.
Thanks, never even thought of that. WFC furnishes international teams with a 10x10, chairs and tables.
__________________
@kenthanson @devilmademeqit Devil made me Q it BBQ team
kenthanson is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 09-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-04
Location: DFW, San AntonioTx
Default

Cook it until it's KCBS done, and then cook it another 30 minutes.

When you are trimming your brisket, trim it up so that the slices will fit in the box.

Good BBQ is good BBQ and it wins. That being said, if I had a sweeter flavor profile I might back off the sweet a bit if cooking your average IBCA contest in Texas. Without knowing where the judges are coming from for WFC I'm not sure that I'm offering solid advice.

Read the rules. If you believe in filling the box for a better presentation you have to do it with the required number of samples (thus the brisket trimming advice), you can't just add more meat.

If you do a practice cook, follow your program and after you box it let it sit until it's room temp or slightly warmer and taste it. That's what the judges will taste.

Prepare yourself for the extra time between categories. I can ruin some really good meat with the extra time compared to KCBS times.

PM me if you have any other questions.
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 09-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #8
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 07-10-11
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Cook it until it's KCBS done, and then cook it another 30 minutes.

When you are trimming your brisket, trim it up so that the slices will fit in the box.

Good BBQ is good BBQ and it wins. That being said, if I had a sweeter flavor profile I might back off the sweet a bit if cooking your average IBCA contest in Texas. Without knowing where the judges are coming from for WFC I'm not sure that I'm offering solid advice.

Read the rules. If you believe in filling the box for a better presentation you have to do it with the required number of samples (thus the brisket trimming advice), you can't just add more meat.

If you do a practice cook, follow your program and after you box it let it sit until it's room temp or slightly warmer and taste it. That's what the judges will taste.

Prepare yourself for the extra time between categories. I can ruin some really good meat with the extra time compared to KCBS times.

PM me if you have any other questions.
Thanks, yeah the extra time between turn in will be the biggest difference I think. Do you know why the windows are so spaced apart?

For the WFC anything goes, a team last year in the brisket category made a ground brisket buger so that ones just an open book.
__________________
@kenthanson @devilmademeqit Devil made me Q it BBQ team
kenthanson is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 09-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-04
Location: DFW, San AntonioTx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthanson View Post
Thanks, yeah the extra time between turn in will be the biggest difference I think. Do you know why the windows are so spaced apart?

For the WFC anything goes, a team last year in the brisket category made a ground brisket buger so that ones just an open book.
The additional time is due to the judging process which is different. I don't know that it's better or worse, since the cream seems to rise to the top regularly, but it's different.

Go to the cooks meeting, listen, and ask the Head Judge any questions you have. I suspect it may be Laura, but don't know. She's great and will be as helpful as she can be.

Good Luck!
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts