MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #76
IndyBigKat
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Kristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
I was asking about split sizes and if the raw pit would rust outside without a cover. He told me that the raw pit is coated in linseed oil and he has one that’s been outside for 6 months without a speck of rust. It’s only been treated with Linseed oil once. As far as splits go, he recommends cutting a full size in half and then splitting that. We also discussed water pan theories and spritzing. That was more of a back and forth discussion rather than a solid Q&A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I asked a similar question via email concerning the linseed coating/rust. I was told by Ashley (pretty sure she's JD's wife) that both the linseed finish and the powder coat will eventually start to rust. She did say that reapplications would help with the linseed version. I was also talking to a fella here in Indy that cooks on a Primitive Pit and he suggested using rendered tallow to add a protective coating versus linseed.
IndyBigKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #77
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBigKat View Post
I asked a similar question via email concerning the linseed coating/rust. I was told by Ashley (pretty sure she's JD's wife) that both the linseed finish and the powder coat will eventually start to rust. She did say that reapplications would help with the linseed version. I was also talking to a fella here in Indy that cooks on a Primitive Pit and he suggested using rendered tallow to add a protective coating versus linseed.

JD said the same thing, that eventually they both would start to rust. But like I said above, he’s got a linseed coated pit outside for 6 months with no rust and only the initial linseed coating.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:08 AM   #78
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

I've gotta wonder if it's regular linseed oil vs. boiled linseed oil. Boiled linseed oil has some nasty stuff in it. Regular is the same as flaxseed oil. It's going on the outside it probably doesn't matter, but still I have to wonder.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2020, 03:25 PM   #79
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

I'd like to see one of the Workhorse pits in action. I've seen their bigger 250 & 500 gallon pits a couple of times on YouTube, but none of the smaller ones. I like JD and the videos he's done, but they need to step up their social media game.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #80
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger35 View Post
I'd like to see one of the Workhorse pits in action. I've seen their bigger 250 & 500 gallon pits a couple of times on YouTube, but none of the smaller ones. I like JD and the videos he's done, but they need to step up their social media game.

I’ll post a ton as soon as I get it.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #81
stepheneleven
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Couldn’t agree more. If it wasn’t for primitive pits being a thing, I never would have placed ~$2500 order with workhorse pits based off their current marketing. He takes crazy good pics and videos of primitive pits but nothing but a few very bad photos of workhorse.

When mine comes in Feb/March I will post as much as I can in the ****ty Wisconsin weather.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-22-2020, 09:07 PM   #82
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Stephen I'll be looking forward to it cause I thought about calling them for my next pit but I need to stop buying a pit every year and I'd like more a reputation so I'm looking at Backline now.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:48 AM   #83
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Stephen I'll be looking forward to it cause I thought about calling them for my next pit but I need to stop buying a pit every year and I'd like more a reputation so I'm looking at Backline now.
Good luck with holding out. The withdrawal symptoms are real (for something that's all in our heads).[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2020, 08:53 AM   #84
bubbamac00
Knows what a fatty is.

So I've been following this thread closely as I really like the look of the Workhorse 1975 as well. Traded a couple of emails with Ashley and just thought I would post a few details here that I didn't previously see. A front shelf option will be available in late February for $49. Sounds like it will be a steel frame with expanded metal mesh. The top rack offers 7 inches of space and 10 inches to the top of the cook chamber. I've asked for some detailed "in the flesh" pics but you guys that get them first may very well be the first pics we see. Looking forward to it as I love the styling and will be looking for something in the spring.
bubbamac00 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #85
ArtBQ
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Art_B-Q

I just ordered a 1957 this weekend. I have been following JD on Instagram and his various YouTube pages and fell in love with Primitive Pits the first time I saw them. I think he is a hard worker and really has a passion for barbecue and making really great pits. I am a WSM guy and have been wanting to go over a stick burner for a while now. I am totally confident I made the right choice in choosing Workhorse.

I can hardly wait for this year's BBQing season!

Last edited by ArtBQ; 01-27-2020 at 03:40 PM..
ArtBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #86
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBQ View Post
I just ordered a 1957 this weekend. I have been following JD on Instagram and his various YouTube pages and fell in love with Primitive Pits the first time I saw them. I think he is a hard worker and really has a passion for barbecue and making really great pits. I am a WSM guy and have been wanting to go over a stick burner for a while now. I am totally confident I made the right choice in choosing Workhorse.

Congrats!!! Any ETA?

Old 01-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #87
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBQ View Post

Congratulations! Are you picking it up yourself or having it delivered?

Old 01-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #88
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Congrats! When someone gets one please let us know if it really cooks any faster.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #89
ArtBQ
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Art_B-Q

Delivered. I just got the ETA today, they said 4/22 but have added some new tooling to the line so that might speed things up (fingers crossed). Also, I can confirm the front shelf will be an option offered on all models late Feb-early Mar if you are holding out for that.

I was also told that with the current pricing, they aren't really making money on these, so if you are planning on getting one, I would do it before pricing goes up.
ArtBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #90
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

I would love one of JDs 250s as they are beautiful, but I can't justify it for a home cook. All I have left to do with Backline is turn in my contract and deposit but I'm going to wait and see what JD can do for a pit around 150 gallons. Not sure if it will be under the Primitive or Workhorse name but on Instagram he said to shoot them a message.