huge yard birds and a frosty morning

big blue bbq

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Well, I got up early to start the first Turkeys of the year for me. It is a beautiful morning to not have to go to work and make smoke. Feeding about 20 tonight at the house.

Attachments

• yard bird.jpg
    yard bird.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 149
  • frosty morn in tn.jpg
    frosty morn in tn.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 149
1:00, after 4.5 hours they are up to 130 degrees. I will probably put some foil over them next time I check. One was 13.5# the other is about 12.8.

Attachments

• one oclock.BMP
    791.1 KB · Views: 118
nice birds, what did you stuff with? i see some onions in there....

lookin good!!! wish i lived closer.

can you cooler a turkey

I just stuffed them with 1.5 apples each, 2 stalks of celery and some sliced up onions. I have been basting them with the juice since 1:00. They are at 150 now so I have slowed the fire down some and put foil on them at 2:00. Dinner is not until 6:30. Can you cooler turkeys just like anything else:confused:?

I don't see why not, they're quite massive so there will be plenty of residual heat as well as probably a good 5-10 degrees of carryover.

O.K. I finally figured this all out and finally found the cooker in front of the building on the right. The first pic is really easy as it is just a nice pic of the turkeys which look really good BUT sometimes we (I) get little dumb images in my head when I first look at a something and that one on the left looks like a green one eyed cartoon charactor, but it still looks like a turkey that's getting bout where you want it to be too. But the second pic is got me wondering what this pic is about in general. I see beautiful fall Tn foilage, and a nice home place with big yard, but the center of the pic seems to be the little lawnmower / pull behind buggy, so are you saying that you used that to pull them two birds over to the fire?

Well, I got up early to start the first Turkeys of the year for me. It is a beautiful morning to not have to go to work and make smoke. Feeding about 20 tonight at the house.

Nice lookin' birds bro...hey..how far are you from McMinnville (Warren Co)...that's where I grew up. I get homesick for the hills now and then. :p

Hey JD. I am about 70 miles from McMinnville. If you know where Clarksville is (Home of Ft. Campbell) we are about 15 miles from there. They hills are beautiful right now. With the drought I was suprised the leaves still changed as pretty as they have.

The birds weren't quite big enough I needed the buggy. That is just where it got parked the last time it was used.

Here is one of the birds finished product before he got cut up.

Today the menu is 3 fried birds. I was gonna smoke them but seems people at this dinner want them KFC style.

Attachments

• turkey 001.jpg
    turkey 001.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 35
Back