Thoughts on new KCBS scoring?

One thing that caught my eye was the last part of the email. "How much does it cost? There is no fee structure associated with the initial online learning rollout." :shock:

My hope, and assumption, is that they don't intend to start charging for continuing education, but they want to keep things open should they start using those videos or similar ones for, say, new judge training replacing the in person classes, etc.

The new rules regarding pork and foreign object update do indeed start this weekend for all 2022 contests except for the World Invitational because it's based on the 2021 contest points.
As stated earlier the new scoring system update will begin 1/1/22.
Ed

My hope, and assumption, is that they don't intend to start charging for continuing education, but they want to keep things open should they start using those videos or similar ones for, say, new judge training replacing the in person classes, etc.

There has never been any discussion about charging for continuing education. Judges already pay for the honor to judge.
It was discussed about online CBJ training but was shelved as it would likely never be able to present the face to face interaction required to start the judge off on the right foot.
Ed

I think the in-person CBJ class is the only way to go, and frankly.... they could be longer.

My CBJ class was taught by Ed Roith, and he was very thorough, with a lot of one-on-one interaction. We were told to plan on about 5 hours, but Ed did kind of a roundtable afterwards for anyone that wanted to stick around. Two cooks prepared all of the food for the class, and they were included in the roundtable.

A CBJ can audit any class for no charge and I did that a few years ago. Bunny and Rich Tuttle were the instructors at that one. This time around there was a video presentation, along with lecture and question and answer time. This format was also well thought out and informative.

I think the in-person CBJ class is the only way to go, and frankly.... they could be longer.

My CBJ class was taught by Ed Roith, and he was very thorough, with a lot of one-on-one interaction. We were told to plan on about 5 hours, but Ed did kind of a roundtable afterwards for anyone that wanted to stick around. Two cooks prepared all of the food for the class, and they were included in the roundtable.

A CBJ can audit any class for no charge and I did that a few years ago. Bunny and Rich Tuttle were the instructors at that one. This time around there was a video presentation, along with lecture and question and answer time. This format was also well thought out and informative.

I agree that in person is better. I was simply trying to find a way that the language about not charging at this time could coexist with not actually charging established judges.

I agree that in person is better. I was simply trying to find a way that the language about not charging at this time could coexist with not actually charging established judges.

It looks like the online training modules and test are to bring existing CBJ's up to snuff. Future CBJ classes will include all of the newest information. So at this point (1st quarter of 2022?) the clock starts clicking on when judges will have to complete the modules again, annually or every two years. If it's like the current online test, you can do it any time you like.

If you really want to be a "rockstar" judge you most certainly can attend any CBJ class any time for free if you are current with your dues. You can even help if you want, I think I have helped out the last 12 or 15 years.
Ed

You Don’t Start Over

Respectfully disagree. Many professions require mandatory Continuing Education. You brush up on what you should know and learn new topics at your own choosing. Sure, live classes could be available but should not be the only route to re-certification. You don’t waste one’s time going over things like how many pieces should be in a box or what the meat categories are supposed to be…

Back