MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #16
shaddie
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whumpa View Post
Your cardiologist just might have a different view about how long you can live on those.😀
There is a reason he is my cardiologist and not my cook.
shaddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #17
lowcountrygamecock
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichv View Post
Long time Fort Worth resident here, weighing in with my humble opinions.

1) Heim BBQ - two locations, but go to the river site. (Order bacon burnt ends!, and brisket, and beef ribs, and...)
2) Coopers in the Stockyards - order by sight at the pit. Be careful, you can run up the price in a hurry.
3) Angelo's - just north of downtown. Old school barbecue joint with schooners so cold you need gloves. Still what I consider the best pork ribs in town.
4) Railhead - has gone commercial and caters more to the Friday happy hour hook-up scene. BBQ is still ok (not as good as it used to be) and the schooners are cold. It's more of a "see and be seen" vibe now.

Enjoy - lots of BBQ to be had in this town.
I’ve only been to Fort Worth one time but Heim was one of my all time favorite bbq stops. Very good bbq. Don’t know the rest but heim is definitely worth a stop
lowcountrygamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #18
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I’m just S. of Ft. Worth And I’ve never heard of half of these.........We don’t eat out a lot and when we do it’s Mexican /Tex Mex..........
Old 09-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #19
shaddie
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger35 View Post
Haven't tried texas Twinkies at any of the restaurants yet.
Everyone calls them something different. Hutchins has a place in Frisco but the original is where I go and is so great never really want to try the other places.
shaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #20
johnnylightnin
Full Fledged Farker

If you get a hankering for non-Q, check out Whiskey Cake. It’s all good, but make sure you get some duck wings and the Mac and Cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #21
TXArmy
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brandon

Another vote for 407 in Argyle. Best brisket in DFW!
TXArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #22
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

There's good que and TexMex in Roanoke, TX (part of the metroplex).
And a great candy store if you have kids.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #23
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

If you're flying into Love Field then Mike Andersons is dam good and just a couple miles from the airport (10 min). Pecan Lodge is maybe 10 miles further south. Never been but it's known as some of the best in the metroplex. (20 min). Often times a really long line there.

If you're flying into DFW then 407 BBQ is fantastic and only about 30 minutes away. If you don't mind a much further drive then Heim in Forth Worth is simply amazing. The bacon burnt ends are ridiculous and the brisket it some of the best I've ever had. They use Creekstone farms briskets. (1hr plus drive)

If you need something close to DFW airport then you need to go to Smileys craft BBQ. Seriously good bbq from a guy that cut his chops at Le BBQ in Austin. Walk around the back to see the massive primitive pit he uses. It's nuts. (15 minutes)

Now that I think about it not sure which is better Smileys or 407. Either one is going to have you dreaming of the day you can come back.

Please for the love of all things BBQ do not go to hard 8 or dickeys or any of the other chain bbq joints down here. Places like Meat U Anywhere BBQ are middle of the road and likely better than most BBQ in large parts of the country. They simply do not hold a candle to the truly greats we have in the Metroplex.

Cattleack is supposed to be really good as well but never been cause they are hardly ever open. When they are expect a good line. (20 min drive)

Let us know once your back where you went and when you plan on moving down!

Last edited by robertm; 09-16-2020 at 12:24 PM..
robertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #24
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

+1 for 407, right around the corner from me. I also really like Hard 8, the Coppell location is right by the north entrance to DFW Airport. Happy eatting!
Old 09-16-2020, 03:37 PM   #25
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

I'll be driving over, not sure where I'm staying yet. Seems like 407 is pretty popular, may have to see if there is a hotel near it. I thought for sure I would get people telling me to definitely go to Panther City or Goldees, but not once! Lol
Old 09-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #26
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Joe T Garcia down by the Stockyards in Fort Worth is where I would go right now. I do like good BBQ but, right now I've had enough smoked meat during lockdown to last a while but, good classic Tex Mex is sorely lacking in my diet. Simple 'mexican' style stuff at home is good but, I just don't hit the classic Tex Mex flavors even with Corn Tortillas, Poblanas and Serranos, and related things. Joe T's is a classic going back to my childhood.

The Tamale 'queen', forget the real name, East of I-35 was a planned stop as well on a trip to see some motorcycles in Fort Worth but, I didn't make it before things went sideways with the virus lockdowns.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #27
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
Joe T Garcia down by the Stockyards in Fort Worth is where I would go right now. I do like good BBQ but, right now I've had enough smoked meat during lockdown to last a while but, good classic Tex Mex is sorely lacking in my diet. Simple 'mexican' style stuff at home is good but, I just don't hit the classic Tex Mex flavors even with Corn Tortillas, Poblanas and Serranos, and related things. Joe T's is a classic going back to my childhood.

The Tamale 'queen', forget the real name, East of I-35 was a planned stop as well on a trip to see some motorcycles in Fort Worth but, I didn't make it before things went sideways with the virus lockdowns.
We were lucky enough to get to go to an opening of a new authentic Mexican restaurant here last Friday. Was really good, hoping to get some bbq and whatever else y'all Texans think you're good at! Lol
Old 09-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #28
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger35 View Post
I'll be driving over, not sure where I'm staying yet. Seems like 407 is pretty popular, may have to see if there is a hotel near it. I thought for sure I would get people telling me to definitely go to Panther City or Goldees, but not once! Lol
Never been to 407, but Bryan was a comp cook, cooked for BBQ relief, and is an all around good guy. Bet it's damn good.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #29
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

All good suggestions. I REALLY like Panther City BBQ and the bonus is they serve Breakfast! Nothing like a big slab of brisket and eggs for a breakfast taco. https://www.panthercitybbq.com/

Another one not too far away is Hurtado's BBQ in Arlington. You can pre-order online up to midnight and skip the line the next day. https://hurtadobbq.com/

Both of these joints have a Tex-Mex slant on BBQ and rock it out!
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #30
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I am a Texas newbie, but if you get far enough east to hit Hutchins, you will be glad! I know a couple who live in Southern Missouri that told me a few years ago Hutchins was the best BBQ they have had, and they eat a lot of Q.