MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #31
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbq View Post
I have been thinking about doing a beef roast. If you do it to just rare in a smoker, do you then throw it on a grill or something to get a nice browned outside? So far I have really only smoked low and slow stuff, except for one leg of lamb, which came out great but I believe I gave it a little char after it was done smoking.
rob what you're describing is a reverse sear...it's what many of us do with steaks, tri tips etc... My smokers happen to do both smoke and sear but smoke to IT and give a quick sear to add color and flavor.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #32
trambone
Found some matches.

Most cheeses alone....
trambone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 03:28 AM   #33
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

pine
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #34
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Out of all the veggies I have smoked, squashes really take on too heavy a smoke flavor when done directly over the coals in a UDS. Not so much in my other smokers.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 AM   #35
CraigC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
Prolly certain types of fish? Just seems like oily mullet may hang around for quite awhile.
One of the most popular items around the Tampa/St. Pete area is smoked mullet dip. Black mullet is used.

You folks must be lucky that everyone in your family likes smoked everything. The wife, daughter and granddaughters would kill me if I put a standing rib roast in the smoker.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #36
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Testicles.

Really not good.
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #37
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbeer View Post
I smoke venison loin wrapped in bacon quite frequently and it never comes out dry. However I keep it over to the rare side. I also have done wild turkey breast with good success. Don't give in to reservations.
Times two on the bacon wrap!

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #38
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trambone View Post
Most cheeses alone....
I love smoking cheese, and we're getting in to the season for it now. Time to hit the store.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #39
Mrfish
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Pumpkins. My brother in law has a pumpkin farm. After 10 tries, all failures, I can honestly say pumpkins. It even makes your pit stinky.
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #40
lashing1c
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Whoa there! A standing rib roast is awesome slow cooked. Start out at 220 for a couple hours and boost to 250 until 130 or so. I have never had better. It is rare/med rare all the way through. No dark ring of overdone on the outside.

gnbiker. I am with Marty. I did a whole New York Strip which is basically a standing rib roast without the bone. Did it medium rare. It turned out awesome. Everyone coulld not believe how well it came out. Plus the flavor was just off the charts. Here is the best thread on here I have found.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/ar.../t-135632.html
lashing1c is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #41
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Whoa there! A standing rib roast is awesome slow cooked. Start out at 220 for a couple hours and boost to 250 until 130 or so. I have never had better. It is rare/med rare all the way through. No dark ring of overdone on the outside.
I agree that standing rib roasts are great slow cooked, but to me there's a difference between slow cooking and smoking. I would never add smoke wood when slow cooking a standing rib roast.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #42
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

To the OP, experimentation is the key here. I have tried many things both indirect smoke on the Weber, and UDS (no water pan, ever). I have not found anything that was disappointing from some level of added smoke flavor (when I do I will share it).

One KEY is the proper fire (sweet blue!) and some idea of what you are after for smoke flavor.

I recently did a couple eggs and even those were great, IMHO.

Now go experiment!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #43
Haastyle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnbiker View Post
I would never smoke a good steak or a standing rib roast.
That is crazy talk!! LOL. It is awesome. I had mesquite smoked Prime Rib in a restaurant just outside of Chicago about 9 years ago that I am still shooting to mimic. THEE BEST I have ever eaten of any style, anywhere.

It was glorious. We went back there several times over the next few month since we were working in the area, living in hotels for that time frame.

If one part of the beef will take on smoke and be nice... pretty much every other part will as well. But if it is just your preference to not want smoke on those parts and taste them soley for what they are... then I will shut up. Two different things all together.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #44
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haastyle View Post
That is crazy talk!! LOL. It is awesome. I had mesquite smoked Prime Rib in a restaurant just outside of Chicago about 9 years ago that I am still shooting to mimic. THEE BEST I have ever eaten of any style, anywhere.

It was glorious. We went back there several times over the next few month since we were working in the area, living in hotels for that time frame.

If one part of the beef will take on smoke and be nice... pretty much every other part will as well. But if it is just your preference to not want smoke on those parts and taste them soley for what they are... then I will shut up. Two different things all together.
Whenever I cook rib roasts, it's for special occasions with guests, and I make it a habit not to experiment with food I'm serving guests. I know they will enjoy my no-smoke-wood roast. Maybe one of these days I'll try "smoking" one just my family. You're never too old to learn.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #45
SmittyJonz

Man Smoking Beef Roast is Pure Delicousness !

Thanks from:--->

Tags
Newbie, Pork Belly, smoker