MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

It annoys the hell out of me that over here we get BBQ places advertising '18 hour smoked' pulled pork and alike. It's not had anywhere near 18 hours, in reality they've just got glorified ovens that pump in some wood pellets every so often. Cooked for 18 hours? I can believe that. 18 hours of smoke? Not a chance

Old 09-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
bshm
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
In my experience, the longer the smoking time most of them claim, the less smoke you can detect.
I've noticed that with a couple places. One in particular there was no bark on the ribs and you couldn't even pick one up without it falling apart and the cartilage in the tips were very soft. The brisket is a pile of mush cooked till it basically disintegrates, not much smoke flavor...

It's almost like it was cooked in a pressure cooker and according to yelp it's some of the best bbq around.

ETA: Some people like it like that though, so I don't know, to each their own I guess.

Last edited by bshm; 09-01-2013 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Add moe perspective.
bshm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The only thing I have smoked for 12 hrs was a cured ham that I smoked with mulberry.
It was great!!

There were a couple Q joints in Nashville I went to that you tasted nothing but smoke.
Didn't care for the food I had there.
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
bshm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
The only thing I have smoked for 12 hrs was a cured ham that I smoked with mulberry.
It was great!!

There were a couple Q joints in Nashville I went to that you tasted nothing but smoke.
Didn't care for the food I had there.
There are some pretty good places, I kinda like a little more smoke than some though. There are a couple guys that just have a smoker set up in a parking lot that make some pretty good stuff too, but it's definitely better when they're busy. Yes, I'm being defensive. Lol.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Didn't mean to be offensive.....

I just think when all you taste is smoke it's just not true Q

And yes there are some great places there.
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Depending on the cuts of meats, cooking butts and/or brisket can take 12 to 16+ hours when cooking low and slow at average temp of 225 degrees. I have done it myself.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #22
bshm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
Didn't mean to be offensive.....

I just think when all you taste is smoke it's just not true Q

And yes there are some great places there.
I was kidding, sort of...

A friend and I were talking about this the other day, if you want to spend some money you can get really good food here as well as some lesser known spots that are great on the cheap, but nothing as diverse and convenient as say Atlanta. Some of the landmark restaurants the guides will send you to are mostly hype with ok food, sometimes the low side of ok.

Don't worry about offending me btw, I don't think it's even possible at this point in my life.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunter View Post
Depending on the cuts of meats, cooking butts and/or brisket can take 12 to 16+ hours when cooking low and slow at average temp of 225 degrees. I have done it myself.
Same here......

I like the lower temperatures in my smoker, I get to sleep in longer in the mornings....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote