MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #166
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Mass View Post
$1-2 per brick savings, that's a lot of DOUGH!
That pile alone should cover the cost of insulation?

Exactly, used bricks cost more than new bricks. So that saved me alot of money. I have over 1,000 bricks, more than i need for the outdoor kitchen but none will go to waste, i will use them anywhere i can, i love used bricks.

On another note, i have already picked up 6 rolls of ceramic fiber insulation. The dome will have 6" of this stuff, should be plenty.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #167
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Here is some work from the past weekend. Removing the form was pretty easy using just a drill bit, a large one. Made a few holes and broke the bottom half and it was out. The hardest part was working on the inside, its not fun... Id have to admit my oven build is no where near what some of the guys have built, definitely not the cleanest, but im content with it...
Content? Dude, you should be damn proud of it! To me it looks awesome. I dream of doing something like that, but I'm getting old and doubt if I could physically pull that off. Or should I say, I'm getting wiser in my old age and should pay someone to build me one. Regardless, you're actually doing what most of us want to do.

I tip my hat to you sir.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #168
Pyrotech
Full Fledged Farker

I have been wanting a brick oven at home since I tried my first slice of real brick oven pizza. the Thing that stops me, is will I use it enough to justify the construction and firing of the oven.
Pyrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #169
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Content? Dude, you should be damn proud of it! To me it looks awesome. I dream of doing something like that, but I'm getting old and doubt if I could physically pull that off. Or should I say, I'm getting wiser in my old age and should pay someone to build me one. Regardless, you're actually doing what most of us want to do.

I tip my hat to you sir.

. You make me blush. Thank you Sir, . Im sure you can do it too. Its really not that hard, the hardest part is cutting the bricks at the right angle towards the top of the dome to avoid large gaps. Other than that its straight forward.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #170
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotech View Post
I have been wanting a brick oven at home since I tried my first slice of real brick oven pizza. the Thing that stops me, is will I use it enough to justify the construction and firing of the oven.

I seriously asked myself this question too. But i really wanted one, so im building one. In all honesty i dont think ill use it more than once or twice a month. But when i do i plan to do pizza, lots of meats, large meats, roasting, grilling, BBQ, baking bread, suckling pigs, lamb etc. I LOVE cooking with fire so this was a dream come true to have. I had to have one. Also firing the oven takes about 1 1/2-2 hours to get it up to pizza temp (750-900 F), and it will stay warm for 3 days if insulated well.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #171
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Sometimes I'll fire up the oven just to create some ambiance when I have people over for dinner out in the patio. Toss some steaks in there or just roast marshmallows.
I also love to just stare at the fire......I guess similar to staring at your smoker during a cook while having some brew....lol..

Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #172
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Sometimes I'll fire up the oven just to create some ambiance when I have people over for dinner out in the patio. Toss some steaks in there or just roast marshmallows.
I also love to just stare at the fire......I guess similar to staring at your smoker during a cook while having some brew....lol..

Thats actually a good point, these are wood fired ovens, not just pizza ovens, so grilling and roasting etc is just as fine. You don't necessarily have to always get it up to 700F+

Old 03-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #173
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

When you guys thrown steak in there, are you putting them on cast iron, or....???
I wouldn't think you'd just throw a hunk 'o' meat in there????
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #174
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
When you guys thrown steak in there, are you putting them on cast iron, or....???
I've done them both ways.

Here's a hunk of tri-tip right on the oven floor. Everything burns off cleanly after the cook so there's no harm done to the floor.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #175
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

That's just cool. Way cool.
"Meat, Stone, Fire"....done.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #176
Pyrotech
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Here's a hunk of tri-tip right on the oven floor. Everything burns off cleanly after the cook so there's no harm done to the floor.

Your not helping my pizza oven lust... Think I will have to start a Pizza oven build this fall. NO time right now with fireworks season about to start. Just have to tell my boss I am taking off a few extra days in July so I can make the money to pay for this.
Pyrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #177
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
You can use cast iron, pans, trays or a grill grate with legs. Anything will work

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #178
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Man that looks awesome, but im not sure i would do that, doesnt the meat burn given the floor gets really hot?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #179
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thats actually a good point, these are wood fired ovens, not just pizza ovens, so grilling and roasting etc is just as fine. You don't necessarily have to always get it up to 700F+
Also, you don't have to use wood. I've heated the oven to bring up to and maintain low and slow temps using a large basket of briquettes placed in one corner of the oven and lighting them using the Minion Method. I've done ribs this way. It helps to have a door with vents on top and bottom when you do this. Or you can use your insulated solid door and keep it slightly ajar to let fresh air in and exhaust out.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #180
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Man that looks awesome, but im not sure i would do that, doesnt the meat burn given the floor gets really hot?
Thanks. Well, you leave it just long enough to get a good char. The oven floor is no hotter than placing that meat over direct heat in a kettle, for instance.
After the char you move the meat to a cooler portion of the oven (oven entrance) until desired IT is met. Or you can do that in reverse, as in reverse sear.

I've done carne asada this way too. And they cook fairly fast.