Any Tips For 1st Packer Brisket on WSM

adventurelarry

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have done many brisket flats, and never a packer. Any tips, advice, experience anyone would care to share? When to cut apart point from flat? Re rub? Burnt ends? Really anything that you can think of will be appreciated. Thanks

--Larry

Trim a lot of the fat off the top and especially in between the point and flat. 225 degrees with a full water pan, put her fat side down and smoke til 160 internal then wrap it in foil the rest of the way.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but you are gonna want to use the Minion Method for burning the charcoal so you can get a relatively unattended long burn. You might also want to try the clay pot base or sand mod so you don't run out of water in the middle of the smoke.

Brisket is a candidate for stronger flavored wood chunks too -- oak, hickory, mesquite, etc. I like oak.

Done is not a matter of time or temperature with Brisket, but they are both good guidelines. Done is when the meat seems to jiggle and a probe goes in without much resistance.

You will be amazed at how easy it is on a WSM.

Edit: Well hell, I just re-read your post and you have a lot of experience with briskets on a WSM -- Disregard my entire post LOL

I still appreciate it though. Any, and all advice is welcome. :-D

--Larry

I'm sure it goes without saying, but you are gonna want to use the Minion Method for burning the charcoal so you can get a relatively unattended long burn. You might also want to try the clay pot base or sand mod so you don't run out of water in the middle of the smoke.

Brisket is a candidate for stronger flavored wood chunks too -- oak, hickory, mesquite, etc. I like oak.

Done is not a matter of time or temperature with Brisket, but they are both good guidelines. Done is when the meat seems to jiggle and a probe goes in without much resistance.

You will be amazed at how easy it is on a WSM.

Edit: Well hell, I just re-read your post and you have a lot of experience with briskets on a WSM -- Disregard my entire post LOL

I have done many brisket flats, and never a packer. Any tips, advice, experience anyone would care to share? When to cut apart point from flat? Re rub? Burnt ends? Really anything that you can think of will be appreciated. Thanks

--Larry
I always wrap mine in bacon...anything cooked with pork fat is farkin' awesome!!!!!

It depends if your doing it for competition or friends. For friends then its almost impossible to screw up. For a comp you'll trim the point, the sides and the thinner parts on the flat causing alot of waste but you only need to turn in 6-8 slices. For friends you need volume and beer.

Heres a different perspective:

Trim all of the "hard" fat off. Put it on the top shelf with no water pan. Leave the vents wide open and cook fat cap down for 1 hour, flip it over and cook another hour. Wrap it in foil with a marinade and cook until it gets done (a fork goes in easy of it is around 200 degrees). Separate the point and the flat. Cut the flat and stick the point back in the smoker for another hour or two and cube for burnt ends.

Bottom Line - try it a lot of different ways and see which way you like it the best.

I like Wayne's idea; I plan to try cooking one without a water pan sometime soon.

And you should positively make burnt ends. Because I'm pretty sure that's what God eats.

Back