Menu's

We do a rotation of 2 meats and two sides when we vend. Simple Simple Simple. If something can mess up it will. So we try to make it to where we can do it in our sleep. But with in those options instead of just the sandwich or plate we can do like our BBQ Parfaits or nachos with the ingredients already. Just a different presentation.

Ok thanks Bob I see what you're saying about the fryers. It makes sense, but the order is already complete and can't be changed. So I'm hoping the 1 will work.

Now to the chicken. I don't see chicken selling big in our area. I've looked at menu's at different restaurants we go to and there is chicken on them. But as you look around at lunch or dinner there sure aren't too many people eating it. Some of the smaller restaurants only have chicken patties on their menu. So really I'm not too worried about losing sales because of no chicken on the menu for adults. I guess customer feedback will tell me if I'm right or wrong.

acguy, I see what you're saying with the kids menu, and the deserts. Could you please explain your points with the other items? would appreciate it a lot

Dadeo, thanks for the in put. May I ask how you rotate which meats you serve?
In my case my brisket is the real hot seller. People love my brisket, and that is the reason I have so many catering events. Many of these are return customers in the corporate/business end, and the private catering is because they had it at another event. So to me it would be stupid not to have brisket on the menu all the time.
But I'm all ears on this as I know you guys have experience and I'm just getting started.

I like the idea of using bbq meats in other meals. Bbq nachos, bbq meat and cheese fries i believe would be a Midwest hit.

Definitely could add variety to a limited menu

Ok thanks Bob I see what you're saying about the fryers. It makes sense, but the order is already complete and can't be changed. So I'm hoping the 1 will work.

Now to the chicken. I don't see chicken selling big in our area. I've looked at menu's at different restaurants we go to and there is chicken on them. But as you look around at lunch or dinner there sure aren't too many people eating it. Some of the smaller restaurants only have chicken patties on their menu. So really I'm not too worried about losing sales because of no chicken on the menu for adults. I guess customer feedback will tell me if I'm right or wrong.

acguy, I see what you're saying with the kids menu, and the deserts. Could you please explain your points with the other items? would appreciate it a lot

Dadeo, thanks for the in put. May I ask how you rotate which meats you serve?
In my case my brisket is the real hot seller. People love my brisket, and that is the reason I have so many catering events. Many of these are return customers in the corporate/business end, and the private catering is because they had it at another event. So to me it would be stupid not to have brisket on the menu all the time.
But I'm all ears on this as I know you guys have experience and I'm just getting started.

It's kinda the same with us. Except with pork. That's our big seller. We have chickened out every time about not bringing it and doing 2 other meats. So we bring Pulled Pork and then another meat (usually it is what we have to have for a catering event during the week) We might throw in some Fatties every now and then to have stuff on the smoker. My next goal over the winter when things slow down abit is to work on some Signature Sausages that we make ourselves. (Just a personal goal and think it would be cool) Sides rotate between beans and slaw (if we want to do the Parfait) to smoked Corn on the Cob, a "MArket" salad (Tomatoes, onions, cucumbers in a sweet vinegar sauce) Roasted Red Potato salad, Green Beans, Mac-n-Cheese, working on a corn medley. Let me know if this helps.

I sell pork, brisket, ribs, and turkey and everything is ala carte. All meats are sold in 1/4 pd increments and ribs are sold as 3 bones/half rack/full rack. The reason we do this is because the "plates" are a PIA if you price them correctly. For example, a brisket and rib plate should be significantly higher than a pork and turkey plate. So you need to decide to take a hit an price everything all the same or price all combinations differently, which is confusing to customers. The ala carte menu allows customers to get what they what and you don't take a hit in the higher priced items. People had a hard time at first but now are used to it and like it. I serve family style, so many of my orders are large (pound of each meat). Plating is very simple this way.

On a side note, we sell our sandwiches in 2 sizes (2 different size rolls). The reason we do this is to deal with the 2 type of customers: the tight wad who is used to buying cheeseburgers off the dollar menu and the regular who understands why brisket is so high and is willing to pay for it. The tight wad can always get their cheap sandwich ($4 small pork) and my regulars can get their large brisket sandwich that is priced fairly and I don't get hosed averaging prices to make everyone happy. Just something to think about.

Good Luck

I sell pork, brisket, ribs, and turkey and everything is ala carte. All meats are sold in 1/4 pd increments and ribs are sold as 3 bones/half rack/full rack. The reason we do this is because the "plates" are a PIA if you price them correctly. For example, a brisket and rib plate should be significantly higher than a pork and turkey plate. So you need to decide to take a hit an price everything all the same or price all combinations differently, which is confusing to customers. The ala carte menu allows customers to get what they what and you don't take a hit in the higher priced items. People had a hard time at first but now are used to it and like it. I serve family style, so many of my orders are large (pound of each meat). Plating is very simple this way.

On a side note, we sell our sandwiches in 2 sizes (2 different size rolls). The reason we do this is to deal with the 2 type of customers: the tight wad who is used to buying cheeseburgers off the dollar menu and the regular who understands why brisket is so high and is willing to pay for it. The tight wad can always get their cheap sandwich ($4 small pork) and my regulars can get their large brisket sandwich that is priced fairly and I don't get hosed averaging prices to make everyone happy. Just something to think about.

Good Luck

Very Smart ^^^^^^^

Thanks to both of you

Dadeo that makes total sense and I see what you're saying. I'm still going to go with the three meats though. I just can't see going with only two in our area.

Shenco I really appreciate you posting here. I like your idea about the meats being sold ala carte by the 1/4 lb. Great idea there as well as the 2 sizes of sandwiches. That never crossed my mind thanks!

I am so glad I started this thread

A reminder, someone just gave me as well. If you sell by weight, your scale has to be certified. Not a big cost, just another bother. I like selling by weight

There comes a point where "trying to please everyone by increasing your number of items on the menu" leads to such an increase in overhead costs (labor, equipment, supplies, ingredients, etc) and waste that your margin begins to decline rapidly. Finding a good balance of what sells best in your market will maximize your margin. It's the old "point of diminishing returns" aspect that you run up against.

Bob, I read that too about the scales. So if sold that way it'll be advertised as approx weight.

Bizznessman, I agree and understand what you're saying. I'm still considering the menu and am taking all the in put from this thread into account in doing so. I'm still just thinking to stay with 3 meats, 2 hot sides, 2 cold sides and 2 fried sides. To me that doesn't seem like too much. And I guess I won't know until we open and see how things go.

Bob, I read that too about the scales. So if sold that way it'll be advertised as approx weight.

Bizznessman, I agree and understand what you're saying. I'm still considering the menu and am taking all the in put from this thread into account in doing so. I'm still just thinking to stay with 3 meats, 2 hot sides, 2 cold sides and 2 fried sides. To me that doesn't seem like too much. And I guess I won't know until we open and see how things go.

That is pretty close to the mix we began with and yours doesn't sound out of line to start with. To analyze it, track your sales and waste of each menu item. Also calculate up your cost of each menu item (including adding in a $$/hr amount for prep time) and then calculate your margin on each menu item. After a period of time (maybe at the end of the first Qtr) look to see if any menu item isn't "holding up" to your desired margin. This is how we determine if something is "worth offering" or not.

Using the above analysis method we ended up with:

Two Meats (Pulled Brisket/Pork).

Three Sides (two hot; beans & corn) (one cold; rotate between slaw and pot salad) (we considered some fried sides at one point but ended up not going that route due to the cost of the required equipment and labor to serve them)

Bear in mind we ONLY vend at festivals so our mix is tailored to that style of serving in our market. And markets WILL vary in what the customer "expects" so nothing is written in stone. Just experiment by starting will less since it is easier and cheaper to ADD items than it is to start with a bunch and drop some later on. You avoid the capital outlay that way for equipment/labor that you then drop later if the margins don't pan out.

Thanks a whole lot, what you've said makes sense.
We'll keep it simple with the menu we have to start and adjust from there.
The fried foods will stay if they make good. But I'm thinking of adding the onion crisps as a "topper" on the brisket sandwich. But we'll see

Back