Mini UDS Build Questions

jmellor

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Found a decent Smokey Joe at a second hand store this week for cheap. Nice wood handle. Picked up a 32 qt pot as I have read about in the forum at Walmart for $20 because of a small dent.

Planning on doing pulled pork, chicken wings, and my first fatties on the offset this weekend. Figured the mini would be a fun project to work on with my son while we cook....

I have read through here and the TVWB forum. Many great posts but I have a couple questions I am hoping for some help with.

It looks like I need about 4" clearance for the top cook grate to fit a rib rack. I would like to put in a second rack. That will be just about 4" below the first rack. Does this sound right? I thought the top rack would be about 2" below the top of the steamer pot based on what I read. But it looks like I need more headroom.

Second, I've read a lot about using heat sink and bought a 9" plant holder. I seem to remember some people putting this right on the steamer tray that can sit on the bottom ridge of the smoker. I posted a pic of it here. My question is if the surround holes will let enough heat through to maintain temp or if it will be fine.

Lastly if I take that route or something similar, how far does the cook grate have to sit above the heat sink? It looks real close with it 4" below the top grate.

I've read quite a bit... may be tired out. Hoping for some Brethren help!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311991353.737155.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311991353.737155.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 279
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311991842.590772.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311991842.590772.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 277
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311991855.605257.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311991855.605257.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 277
Thanks. I used the rib rack as a test which is why I know the clearance. So not sure what measuring it would provide.

My question goes back to my post. The second rack would leave me under 4" clearance and be 1.5-2" above the heat sync. Wondering if this is correct/ok thinking.

Thinking about it this morning I think I will plan on setting the rib rack to fit on the second grate. Leaving the top grate at about 2-3" from the lip of the steamer. I think that will work. Probably should have posted this in the mini wsm thread..sorry still a noob here!

Thinking about it this morning I think I will plan on setting the rib rack to fit on the second grate. Leaving the top grate at about 2-3" from the lip of the steamer. I think that will work. Probably should have posted this in the mini wsm thread..sorry still a noob here!

Nah, you've got legitimate questions that may have gone overlooked in another thread so it's good you started your own.:thumb: I don't have any advice since I haven't made mine yet but your ideas have definitely got me thinking.:becky:

I think i have read all the posts on this so far, one post before one of the guys said he just cut holes in the bottom of the pan to let smoke through. In a later post he came back and said he had a problem getting it up to temp, and once he just cut the bottom out right. I believe the 18 inch weber charcoal grates fit right inside this and will sit on the bottom lip just fine. If you just use that plate with holes, you might run into problems. IMO i would cut bottom out and sit rack on lip and put heat sink on that

Thanks to both of you. I read most of those same posts as well. I planned on cutting out the bottom guided by what others did leaving the lip of the pot for stability. Those holes you see are the steamer insert. One post I reread this morning suggested using something to raise the clay pot base so you don't lose temp. But that may lose me some space. I agree on the grate idea. Swinging by ace this morning. Interesting reading what folks have done w these...

i have two cooks on my new mini, chicken and moinks. i have gone with only a single cooking grate and use the steamer base to hold a water pan. i too am heading out today to grab a second cooking grate to replace the steamer one to rest my water pan on. less restricted flow would be the hoped for outcome!

and cheers to another from MA!

DSC02262a.jpg

DSC02263ac.jpg

I'm working on my Tall Boy today, and was wondering the same thing about one or two racks, height of the racks, drip pan holder etc..... So for a few cooks I make some clips from stainless steel banding to hold my rack. This way I can make a second set of them if I want to try the rack at a different height. The metal is thin so it does not interfere with the lid going on.

Glad to see some MA members!

Love the idea of the clip. What type of strip did you use? Will it hold a decent amount of weight for a shoulder or something?

Also. Picked up two racks at ace he this morning for about $8 each. They had glossy black high heat 1000 degree paint. Picked up a can and will retrn the flat black rustoleum. Anyone use this ace product before?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312044622.328053.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1312044622.328053.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 220
Glad to see some MA members!

Love the idea of the clip. What type of strip did you use? Will it hold a decent amount of weight for a shoulder or something?

That is a piece of stainless steel banding, like you would use to secure equipment to a wooden shipping pallet. Stainless has more spring than carbon steel so it keeps it's shape under load. I tested it with 3 gallons of water which is about 25 pounds.

DSC02264a.jpg

Also. Picked up two racks at ace he this morning for about $8 each. They had glossy black high heat 1000 degree paint. Picked up a can and will retrn the flat black rustoleum. Anyone use this ace product before?

I started a "paint recommendation" thread the other day, and it seems that aluminum needs to be treated or a special primer is needed before painting it.

Thx. Not trying to hijack my own thread. :). But I thought the paint primer was for the car enamel paint people were using? I didn't get the impression that grill paint needed it?

That is a piece of stainless steel banding, like you would use to secure equipment to a wooden shipping pallet. Stainless has more spring than carbon steel so it keeps it's shape under load. I tested it with 3 gallons of water which is about 25 pounds.

Very cool.

Can someone link the mini Uds thread here please. Sure wish you could search this site on tapatalk.

I think im going to build one of these for my parrents mexico house. It seems like there have been multiple pots linked for the spacer. I would like to get the tallest known pot to work to maximize rack space. Anyone got a link to the biggest one? Preferably Amazon.

I originally punched 14 1" holes in the bottom of my pot. Was not pleased with the temps attained at the cooking levels. Cut the bottom out to this and greatly improved temps.

I know... it needs to be cleaned!!!
pot003.jpg

Back