• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Problems with my smoker

C

cjallen85

In recently have been build a barrel smoker. My problem is not matter how hot of a fire i get in it, I can only get my barrels up to about 150 or 160. Any ideas? I would appreciate any help I am ready to get smoking.
Thanks
I have got pics of it, just not sure how to post them.

It is an offset smoker, with two 55 drums for the chamber. Sorry about that.

Sounds like an intake prob not getting enough air whats you intake like.

IMG00018.jpg

IMG00019.jpg

Thanks for the patience, I am a little new. But any questions let me know thanks

It is an offset smoker, with two 55 drums for the chamber. Sorry about that.
Dang - sounds like 2 potentially ruined UDS smokers.
I'd suggest getting another 55 gal drum or 2 and scrapping the barrel off-set smoker idea completely. Build a UDS (or 2 of them) - be happy.

Okay...just saw the pics.

Is that ball-valve your ONLY intake control? If so - I think that is way too small for heating that whole thing.

there are two more on the other side i mean i dont have a problem with the heat in smoke box. Its just not traveling to the other end of the smoker

So I was thinking of cutting an intake in the side with a slide. Do you think that will help? Or maybe in the bottom of the box underneath the fire

What is the temp in the 1st barrel closest to the fire box?
Seems like a lot of space to travel through very thin (and likely not sealed) metal. Those barrels being that long together will lose a lot of heat, so let's focus on the 1st barrel for now.
What are you using to read the temp?

first barrel is 170 or 150 in second. I have been using oven thermos for checking temp

she looks a little loose from the pictures. does it leak alot around those doors? it could be that you are leaking your heat out in so many places that the chimney cant create a draft and pull the heat all the way through your smoke chamber.

my cheap offset has pretty thin steel (about the same as your drums) i have used old wool army blankets on the top to help hold the heat.

It does leak a bit. there is a silicone gasket around the doors that works pretty well. Its not leak proof but its pretty good. the hole that joins the smoke box to barrel is 6in by 4in. Didnt know if it was to small

she looks a little loose from the pictures. does it leak alot around those doors? it could be that you are leaking your heat out in so many places that the chimney cant create a draft and pull the heat all the way through your smoke chamber.

my cheap offset has pretty thin steel (about the same as your drums) i have used old wool army blankets on the top to help hold the heat.

I think this is what's going on too.
If you have a nice hot fire in the fire box, but can't get the heat/smoke to draft out the stack - it must be leaking out.

Sounds good. It somewhere to start I will definately try that first and see where I get. Thanks Definately glad I joined this site!

You need more draft, If I were trying to tune that monster I would make the stack at least 2 or 3 feet longer to induce more draft.

You could also try placing some steel tuning plates over your hole from the firebox to the cook chamber, below grate level and slide them around making gaps until you can get the convection down.

You could probably use a bit more intake size as well.

It does leak a bit. there is a silicone gasket around the doors that works pretty well. Its not leak proof but its pretty good. the hole that joins the smoke box to barrel is 6in by 4in. Didnt know if it was to small

i have never seen it, but i have heard reference to a thread about sizing your firebox and opening in relation to your smoke chamber. i could be wrong but that hole sounds pretty small in relation to the area you are trying to heat. have you ever checked your temp coming out of your exhaust pipe?

Definately could use some tuning plates or take a 6 to 8 inch pipe and run it from the fire box to the other side. Cut holes in the pipe starting with small holes close to the fire box and getting larger as you get to the other end. Definately need more draw on your exhaust ( bigger Pipe ) and higher. Also needs a larger intake.

Just my .02

Spice

Get a bigger exhaust , you haven't good air flow. Also maybe a bigger intake can't make it out on the pic. You can't get your exhaust too large always can block it off

Back