Benefits of Horizontal vs. Vertical Smokers aka Why the Bandera?

R

rjmatl

I am thinking about buying a Bandera, but can't find a write up of the pros and cons of the verticals. Not even New Braunfels tells you why one over the other. I am betting you'll will have an opinion. I have a cheap horizontal (Char Broil Silver Smoker) which was good enough to get me hooked on smoking, but now ready to buy a better unit. your thoughts, please! Sorry to web hosts ...I posted it in the wrong forum first, then added it here!

I dont know if its just me, but everytime I use the link Bill put up, i wind up in limbo.

Heres a copy of the Roadmaps post#19 in case somethings broke.

Pit comparisons and analysis. Bandera Vs Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe--the choice for buyers:

This discussion comes up frequently.

Here is some thoughts about both of these fine smokers:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ndera+brinkman

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ndera+brinkman

Post subject: Bandera or Brinkman PostPosted: Apr 27, 2005 - 07:51 PM

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=side+smokers

Post subject: Side by Side Smokers PostPosted: Apr 16, 2005 - 03:46 PM

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=bandera

Post subject: new bandera PostPosted: Feb 25, 2005 - 06:08 PM

These will get you started.

Also do a search for the "Quest" for some interesting shopping info from the early days of this forum.

Post subject: Vertical smokers.. BYC analysis.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=15127

From my own experience, the best Q I have cooked has come from a New Braunfels Black Diamond Horizontal Smoker, made in Texas. It starts up faster and is is much easier to use with more consistant results. On the other hand I also have a Bandera (with all the mods). The advantage of the Bandera is the capacity. It takes longer to get going. It has alot more quirks (it's design is less efficient) but I really enjoy it. I like to cook for a crowd. I was cooking 24 hours straight with just the Black Diamond to feed 50 people. Adding the Bandera cut the cooking time to less than half (more than just having two smokers). We competed at the Hudson Valley Rib Festival in August with both and did very well for first timers. Adding a Bandera is not a bad idea. Using the links provided is a good idea. The Banderas are now coming out of China rather than Texas. The Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe is a mirror image of the Bandera. Doing the mods is necessary for the Bandera to make it more efficient. Look at the Bandera 100 article on this website. It discusses all the mods very well. I have been to several comps and seen Banderas being used. Phil will tell you that this website started as the Bandera Brethren. It is why I got mine. He's the expert.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BBQchef33 said:
I dont know if its just me, but everytime I use the link Bill put up, i wind up in limbo.

It worked OK for me, Phil.

rjmatl - My first pit was a NB Silver and I moved to the Bandera for two reasons:

1. Capacity. The Silver's sweet spot, even with a baffle, is too small to do much more than one good piece of meat. If you want to cook more than that, or just get more meat cooked with the same fire, you have to get something larger.

2. Design. A vertical allows for better heat flow, imo. Sure, you still have hot spots down toward the bottom and, if unbaffled, up the side, but by the time it reaches the top parts of the chamber, it's fairly evenly distributed.

Each pit has its pros and cons. There is no perfect pit. It really depends on what you want out of a pit.

SP said:
Each pit has its pros and cons. There is no perfect pit. It really depends on what you want out of a pit.
What I want out of the pit is good food. :p

I looked at a lot of smokers before I got mine. Budget was a real limiting factor but the capacity of the Bandera is awesome for the price.

I have no experience here, but I gather that the Bandera would appear to cook much much more evenly. I'm constantly trying to move to the right spot at the right angle to cook evenly on my horizontal. Still, since it looks more like a barbeque in my mind :p I'll be sticking with it for a few more years. After all, I'm still in diapers in the relm of smoking.

Thank you all so much, that is exactly what I was looking for. I knew the the NBBD has a cult following, but my neighbor has the NB Bandera and he cooks a lot quicker than I do in my cheap horizontal and gets a lot more food in. With the cheap horizontal, I have a lot of trouble with temp control, and I agree with the comment of only a small sweat spot to cook in. Now ...how to find the Made in the USA Bandera?? I will call Home Depot and see. I will also go look at the Brinkman Smoke King Delux.

Thank you to everyone!
Richard

Good luck finding a new, made-in-USA 'Dera, bro. Check for used ones, too. You may have better luck that way.

Chinese made Bandera works just fine. My only complaint with mine is that it has a serious hot spot in the back of the cooking chamber. this is with all of the mods.

I bought a floor model Char Broil Bandera from Walmart a year ago for $75. While I can't tell where it was made, it is made of heavier gauge metal than the current models. My Bandera got me into serious Que and now is being used by my brother.

Try it all to find one

I wanted a Bandera but found the Smoke King Deluxe easier (right) to find.

Lowes was stocking the SKD, then they stopped. I called all around and found one that had a bent leg (slightly). I ended up getting it for $55 assembled. Don't bother doing a search on the web.... call around to some Lowes stores and ask them to look in the back. I promise you will find one they say has some problems but they will sell it to you if you persist.

Good luck!!

Back