• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best way to buy ribs ?

sunrise

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
After years of buying my ribs at the best available price, and trimming them myself to a St Louis style cut. I have been wondering if all the meat I discard from the trimming is worth my time and what I pay per rack vs buying ribs already trimmed. Anyone have any experience in this area? Is it better to buy & trim, or buy already trimmed racks?

I'm not sure what you are discarding or why?

I use 100% of all my rib trimmings.
Some gets turned into rib meat carnitas, some gets ground for sausage, but it all gets used one way or the other.

I buy them untrimmed because most of the pre-trimed St. Louis cuts I have seen look like they were butchered by a blind butcher.

I use the trimmings, too, for ribs & kraut, "riblettes", simmer for pork broth, etc. Commercial "St. Louis" ribs are trimmed way to lean for my taste. I've used the ones from Chicago Meat a couple of times and they are OK and very easy to portion control but are really closely trimmed. I haven't had any experince with Curly's but have heard some good things.

i use all of my trimmings too , and if nothing else,take the trimmings throw them on the smoker and chop them up and add them to the beans.

I use all my trimmings also. nothing like fresh ground sausage. It does help to have a good grinder tho....

How many racks are you cooking?
If your doing a couple cases and can SELL the tips then your saving a few pennies.
I cook about 16 cases a week. Fark all that trimming!
St. louis the only way to go.

Just an observation, but most of the rib joints around here are selling untrimmed spares. The more refined "restaurants" go Babyback or St. Louis, but the hard-core, stand in line for them to open places are not worrying about elegant cuts! The good places to remove the membrane!

Back