Want to brag on myself and thank the forum.

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My brother in law is one of those who will never give me a compliment.....on anything. He's got a lot of pride. When the entire family comes into town my siblings always want me to do BBQ. Ribs specifically. My brother in law ALWAYS subtly knocks out two plates of ribs. But never once acknowledges that the ribs are good. My mom fixes all the sides and he'll compliment the crap out of her about the potato salad, coleslaw and the bbq beans. But will not say ONE WORD about the meat.

Well, this has been going on for years. I just laugh because I know he likes them because he eats them more than anybody. Last week I get a phone call from my sister who ask me to call him and help him on learning how to cook ribs. She said he had cooked ribs four times and they just turned out bad. She said they could hardly eat them. Too smokey, bitter taste and tough. She said he was getting frustrated and she finally told him "Look do you really think my brother just turned out great ribs the first time he tried? Probably not." She told me "He wants to learn how to cook ribs like yours but he's too prideful to ask. So I'm asking for him." So I give him a call and tell him that it took me a long time to get where I could cook ribs like that. That it takes trial and error and a lot of practice." So I give him some fundamental tips to begin with. Told him do not put ANYTHING on them but a salt and pepper seasoning. He called me back the next day and said they were light years better than the other four he did. He's now officially hooked.

It is amazing what this forum can teach you. So much great information and BBQ knowledge on here it is unreal. I thank the Brethren!!!! :clap:

Love that!

Your post just made me think of how much I've learned here and it's kind of amazing.

And I thought you were gonna brag about your awesome pickles. Oh. And sauce. Awesome sauce too. Rightly so I might add. :grin:

Great story! At least ONE of my BILs has the bug. Got himself a large BGE. I keep telling him he needs to join here, and that he'll never regret it. Then again, he may just tell my sister EXACTLY what kind of a whack-a-doodle I actually am... :rolleyes:

And I thought you were gonna brag about your awesome pickles. Oh. And sauce. Awesome sauce too. Rightly so I might add. :grin:

Great story! At least ONE of my BILs has the bug. Got himself a large BGE. I keep telling him he needs to join here, and that he'll never regret it. Then again, he may just tell my sister EXACTLY what kind of a whack-a-doodle I actually am... :rolleyes:

I'm sure they already know that, Uncle G.!!:laugh:

Well, there is a BBQ joint about to open in Meridian, MS that will be private labeling our BBQ sauce and Cajun Pickles. So yes, I'll brag on the sauce and pickles while I'm here. :clap: :-D

Oooooooooo...deep fried Cajun Pickles on the menu I hope. :pray:

I have no earthly idea but you're probably right. About two weeks ago I get a call from this guy and he told me he was looking for a "signature sauce", something that didn't taste like the "average"/"traditional" stuff bought off the shelf and was told to call me. I might have something that fit his description. So I sent him a sample of the bbq sauce, hot version as well and threw in there a jar of the Cajun pickles. He loved them all and called me back and will be setting up a purchase shortly to carry in his restaurant under his label. :clap:

You are never too smart or too experienced to learn something. You just have to keep an open mind and be a little adventuresome. :idea:

I have a brother in law exactly like that. I don't mind helping him but it is usually my sister who asks. I smoked a brisket back in July and it was one of those cooks that everything just went right. I would like to brag here but honestly the stars aligned just right on that one and I can't take much credit but it was the best brisket I had ever smoked. After his 4th plate he told me that had to be the best brisket he had ever put in his mouth. I am going to do another one soon and I am glad I took detailed notes on how I did that one. I hope the next one turns out as good.

Sounds like he took the help to heart and is started down the right path. Good for you, helping him despite his lack of verbal appreciation. It isn't good to be prideful.

My BIL calls everything I cook "squirrel meat", I swear, one of these days, I am going to feed him squirrel.

Me thinks that once you break through his tough exterior you'll end up being a best friend of the guy. Good on ya for doing this.

Back